Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best BBK for my budget (Project Mu, Stoptech,Endless)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Plus you think those pro drivers use Rotoras only by choice or maybe budget and/or sponsorship had something to do with it?
Exactly.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:56 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
From my understanding they are made in China and their quality is a step down from the AP/Mu/Endless BBKs. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here.
This is also correct.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S12 driver
Even pro drift cars use Rotora, so I don't think it would be too bad.
well, if you were given a set of brakes for free, which would you run?

If given a choice that your paying for, it might be a different choice than if a company offers you a free set or a heavily discounted set. I'd also venture to say that the demands placed on a brake setup during a drift event vs those placed on a system during a 1 hour track session (for example) are vastly different.

We've used the Greddy, Rotora, etc setups before - the look nicely, fit fine, and for a street car, work well. The problem is when it comes time to replace rotors, or pads, you're stuck. There are virtually none that I've found to date that fit either caliper except the ones that originally come with the kit. With other kits, from AP, to Brembo, to Stoptech, etc, there are literally an endless array of pad choices, which from a consumer standpoint, is far more beneficial than being pingeonholed into 1 choice.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:33 AM
S2peed

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

If given a choice that your paying for, it might be a different choice than if a company offers you a free set or a heavily discounted set. I'd also venture to say that the demands placed on a brake setup during a drift event vs those placed on a system during a 1 hour track session (for example) are vastly different.

We've used the Greddy, Rotora, etc setups before - the look nicely, fit fine, and for a street car, work well. The problem is when it comes time to replace rotors, or pads, you're stuck. There are virtually none that I've found to date that fit either caliper except the ones that originally come with the kit. With other kits, from AP, to Brembo, to Stoptech, etc, there are literally an endless array of pad choices, which from a consumer standpoint, is far more beneficial than being pingeonholed into 1 choice.
This is a great point, this is where Project Mu BBK has it weekness. If I had the money I will go with Endless BBK, this is the best best setup for the Z in my opinion, Great Calipers (Forged construction) Great Rotors, and a great selection in Pads which are the best in the business.

Right now looks like Stoptech is the best setup for my budget, I had it narrow down to Stoptech and Project Mu. I still like the Mu Calipers better since they are aluminum forged contruction which is probably half the weight than the Stoptech. I like the fact I can used different arrays of Pads w/ Stoptech. I still have a couple of weeks to make my decision.

Thanks for the great feedbacks, any owners of this setups will be glad to hear from you.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

You might want to consider the FastBrakes setup too. Works well at the track and doesn't cost nearly as much as some of the others. Article on the Fastbrakes setup:
Bottom half of the article: http://nissanperformancemag.com/february06/350z/

They have them for $1750 for the 6 piston front and $1250 for the 4 piston front set up at www.gspec.com
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 AM
S2peed

Good price not bad, too bad the article doesnt have stopping distances. ill be great to compare with Stoptech.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2peed
Good price not bad, too bad the article doesnt have stopping distances. ill be great to compare with Stoptech.
a BBK really won't stop your car any shorter than it stops right now...maybe a few feet but nothing dramatically significant. The BBK lets you repeat that stop over and over and over without inducing fade, as it simply can withstand more repeated heat cycles.

What technically determines how short or long the car takes to stop is the weight of your car, coupled with the tires (and suspension plays an important role to both in terms of it's ability to keep the tires on the ground and the alignment settings)
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Fleet Z

If you're looking for a good buy, contact Paul at Advanced Race Technology (advancedracetechnology@comcast.net).....He's running a special on Stoptech and AP Racing brakes.....You'll be glad you did!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
usafmech

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=22
Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

how come no one has mentioned ROTORA WTF u can get a 4 wheel kit for 3k and its equal to STOPTECH i dont care what people say
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by r0mey
how come no one has mentioned ROTORA WTF u can get a 4 wheel kit for 3k and its equal to STOPTECH i dont care what people say
did you read the thread at all?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Yes, they are the same exact kits. The manufacturer that makes Rotoras makes the Greddy/Megan and a couple other ones. They are all the same pieces with different logos on them.
Actually, the design is outsourced. I talked to a guy over at Rotora recently and he said the place that makes these only make Rotora's. He also said the 350z/G35 Rotora's are track tested for optimum brake bias and they have published these reports, contrary to what some people have said. He also did mention that some of their other kits (cheaper) are not track tested, so he was being honest.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
DMK

a BBK really won't stop your car any shorter than it stops right now...maybe a few feet but nothing dramatically significant. The BBK lets you repeat that stop over and over and over without inducing fade, as it simply can withstand more repeated heat cycles.

What technically determines how short or long the car takes to stop is the weight of your car, coupled with the tires (and suspension plays an important role to both in terms of it's ability to keep the tires on the ground and the alignment settings)
Not to mention that a BBK adds a decent amount of weight over the stock brake system.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DMK
Not to mention that a BBK adds a decent amount of weight over the stock brake system.
? mine certainly did not
Old 06-22-2007, 04:27 PM
DMK

Not sure if you know this, but there a many pads that fit the Rotor FC6 Caliper. Although they suggest Axxis or their own pads, many others fit including Hawk, Pagid, Porterfield, etc. They use a common pad design in their brakes. I am sure Endless also makes a pad in this design.

Btw, I am not a Rotora fanboy. I do not own Rotora. Just trying to get some misconceptions out of the way.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by DMK
Not sure if you know this, but there a many pads that fit the Rotor FC6 Caliper. Although they suggest Axxis or their own pads, many others fit including Hawk, Pagid, Porterfield, etc. They use a common pad design in their brakes. I am sure Endless also makes a pad in this design.

Btw, I am not a Rotora fanboy. I do not own Rotora. Just trying to get some misconceptions out of the way.

Most aftermarket big brake kits use a FMSI standard pads, from the look of the pad shape, it looks alot like a AP racing 6 pot CP5555 series pad shape. This is what a AP 6 pot CP5555 caliper pad looks like

Last edited by Eddie@Performance; 06-22-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Dave@altered
Have you looked at any of the AP racing stuff?

I have AP on my Z but the replacement parts are soo expensive compared to Stoptech parts. I was qouted like $400ish for each rotor for my 14.25" AP kit. I think Stoptech has the best Performance and Value, i got my AP's used cheap so thats the only reason im running them, otherwise id go Stoptech all the way.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:05 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by DMK
Actually, the design is outsourced. I talked to a guy over at Rotora recently and he said the place that makes these only make Rotora's. He also said the 350z/G35 Rotora's are track tested for optimum brake bias and they have published these reports, contrary to what some people have said. He also did mention that some of their other kits (cheaper) are not track tested, so he was being honest.
Hard to swallow when if you take all the setups and put them next to each other they are exactly the same.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Pad design is one thing - dimensions are another. I've been stuck here at the shop at midnight trying to fit pads that we were told "fit", only to have to sit down and start grinding just the get them in there (read, far from ideal). You end up with knockback, increased propensity for noise, and a messy shop...all for what?

Eddie - for the AP kits, there are a TON of aftermarket pads you can get. I ran the Porterfields on mine, which really cost no more than any other pad out there. But you're right, getting the ones from AP (which BTW are just Ferodo DS2500's (in terms of what they come with) or Mintex 1144, yeah, it can get pricey. The rotor cost on the AP is expensive though, but if you shop around there are deals out there for them from a variety of sources.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Pad design is one thing - dimensions are another. I've been stuck here at the shop at midnight trying to fit pads that we were told "fit", only to have to sit down and start grinding just the get them in there (read, far from ideal). You end up with knockback, increased propensity for noise, and a messy shop...all for what?

Eddie - for the AP kits, there are a TON of aftermarket pads you can get. I ran the Porterfields on mine, which really cost no more than any other pad out there. But you're right, getting the ones from AP (which BTW are just Ferodo DS2500's (in terms of what they come with) or Mintex 1144, yeah, it can get pricey. The rotor cost on the AP is expensive though, but if you shop around there are deals out there for them from a variety of sources.

Well the pads arent the problem, the pads arent too expensive, the rotors are and other misc hardware is. I run Project Mu pads on my AP setup.
Here is my setup:

Quick Reply: Best BBK for my budget (Project Mu, Stoptech,Endless)