Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cusco Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:16 AM
bobowah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cusco Coilovers

I hope nobody has discussed this topic yet.

But I would like to find out more information about them.

I know mike@gruppe-s has them listed already

But I can't read Japanese...

So I really can tell anything about them if they are adjustable or anything.

Cusco Zero1 coilovers
http://www.cusco.co.jp/03ad/cs_zero1.html

Cusco Zero2 coilovers
http://www.cusco.co.jp/03ad/cs_zero2.html

Anyone read japanese that can translate or maybe the gruppe-s folks can clarify for us.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
wadd3456

Im looking into a coilover setup pretty soon, keep us posted on this one.

I love the little japanese characters.......wtf.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
turbo03

I know the zero2 are 5 way adjustable damping and 2 way height adjustable. Mine are on the way along with cusco sway bars. I got them from Adam at Z-1 Performance. I believe he has more cusco stuff coming over from Japan also.

z1sales@z1auto.com
www.z1auto.com

thanks,
Greg
Old 05-05-2003, 05:49 PM
MATIX

the cuscos are a great setup, height adjustable and 5 way dampening adjustable for the zero2's without decreasing shock stroke...the only bad thing thats making me hesitant about gettin them is that the spring rate is ****ed up...its 10kg in the front, 7 kg in the rear, which is gonna make the car understeer more (which is already a problem with the z), because of htis im debating on gettin them or not.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:19 PM
bobowah

thanks guys for replying I thought my post would disappear into nothingness...

So if the spring rates are messed up does cusco have the option like tein to pick and choose the springs?

turbo03 keep us in the loop on your impressions once you get them.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:36 PM
bastard

For a bad translation try using babelfish.altavista.com
Old 05-06-2003, 07:12 AM
turbo03

I just spoke with Adam at Z-1 Performance this morning. He sent me this in an email.

Spring rates don't operate in a vacuum. The rate of the spring is only part of what determines how hard or soft the shock rides.Tires, wheels, all have a role as well,but most importantly, the rate of the spring must be matched to the valving of the shock
So while the rates may seem high, it is all tied directly to how the shock is valved.So the Cusco kit is a matched unit. Now for some, it may ride too stiff, for others, it may be too soft - that is all in your intended usage, how you drive, what you are used too, etc
In Japan, it is widely know that their roads are much nicer than ours here, so their suspensions tend to be on the harder end of things, but for those that want to custom tailor a package, Cusco does have other spring rates they offer. Tein, which usually offers a variet of spring rates for their systems.However, once you alter the rate by more than 1 or 2 kg/mm per corner, you really need the strut to be revalved as well to compensate for the altered rate,otherwise, it will be under or overdampened, leading to poor ride qulaity and abismal handling.

Make no mistake, if you want a comfy ride, NO coilover is the ticket - just get Eibachs,which are progressively wound springs, meaning the spring rate gets harder as the spring is compressed
So it starts off as a soft rate, so its comfy over minor bumps in the road, and as the spring compresses, the rate gets harder. Generally Eibachs are about 25% stiffer than stock at full compression.but again, wheels and tires play a HUGE role as well becuase the wheel and tire is techincally the final link of the suspension.so it communicates the road to the shock/spring. If its heavy, or has a small or very stiff sidewall, it will behave differently than, say, stock wheels and tires.A very stiff sidewall (or, the equivalent, overinflating your tire) may make the car behave better in the corners, but ride quality over bumps will suffer. Conversely, if you deflate the tire too much, while it may soak bumps a bit better, cornering grip will suffer. Its all about finding the right balance of wheel weight, tire combo, suspension settings, etc.not to mention the final step, which is rideheight!
On systems like the Tein Flex, and Cusco Zero 1 and 2, there are 2 height adjsutments.One raises and lowers the qactualy lower mounting bracket of the strut, the other lowers or raises the lower spring perch (the ring that the bottom of the spring sits in)
If you do your adjustments with the perch, as you lower the car for example, you compress the spring, which alters the rate, and reduces travelthat is why it is recommended you do your major rideheight adjustments with the lower mount, and then minor adjustments (for example, if you are cornerweighting, etc) with the lower perch by using the lower bracket to do your major ride height adjustments, you can alter rideheight without affecting or compromising the stroke of the shock.

thanks,
Greg
Old 05-06-2003, 02:00 PM
MATIX

I think cusco messed up with the spring rates they have onthe zero 2, the spring rates they offer seem to be a z32 setup...the teins offer a 10kgf/10kgr, and the JIC's offer a 10kgf/12kgr....this due to how heavy the front is of the z33, and the fact that the car already understeers....if cusco does offer diff springs with the coils i would probably get them, can anyone find out if its possible to get the zero2's with 10kgf/10kgr??
Old 05-06-2003, 02:03 PM
wadd3456

I dont think they do..........Im sure SOMEONE knows though. Wish we could decifer that dang japanese page.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:38 AM
turbo03

Give Adam a call at Z-1 Performance. He can get them for you in a custom spring rate. They need to be custom ordered from Cusco. He states that in my last post.

631-863-3820
www.z1auto.com

thanks,
Greg
Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cusco units are available with alternate spring rates if you want. cost is an extra $120.00 per pair.

However, there are a few things to note. As per the post Greg made (turbo03), spring rates themselves are only part of the equation. Cusco spent a long time R&D'ing this setup before it was released, and rest assured they have done their homework. The mere fact that they selected the rates they did has nothing to do with how the car will under/oversteer. The spring rate is related to so many things - from suspension geometery, to valving, and the spring rate is only a fraction of all involved. I would not be so quick to run out and order your units with anything but the default spring rate till you had them on your car and got a feel for them, in conjunction with the dampening adjustments.

FYI, the Zero2's are 5 way dampening adjustable, and have the adjustable lower bracket, so you can adjust the ride height without affecting the stroke characteristics of the shock. This is a good thing, becuase you can lower your car, and not preload the spring. Why is this beneficial? Well, the fact that you are keeping the spring rate constant is a good thing. Second, the fact that you can lower the car's ride height without compromising suspension travel is also a good thing. Tein and JIC also have this function, and its a good thing. From there, you can use the spring collar to do smaller adjustments (such as at the autocross course, or if you want to get the car cornerweighted.

The Zero1's are not dampening adjustable, but do have the adjustable lower bracket, and also have the adjustable spring collars as well.

If you guys want to talk more about this stuff, feel free to call or email us, or just post here in this thread - I am happy to help. We are direct dealers of Tein, Cusco and JIC, so we can give you the ins and outs of each system, and steer you towards which is the best overall setup to achieve your desired results.

Adam
Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
valuetl

We will be offering the complete CUSCO line for the Z shortly at great prices.