Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Did you know... (alignment info)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:24 PM
ksj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know... (alignment info)

I didn't realize this, but from page brc-94 in the FSM, you need a Consult II to set the steering angle sensor. It's under the VDC section of the manual. This is the text from the FSM:

Adjustment of Steering Angle Sensor Neutral Position

After removing/installing or replacing VDC/TCS/ABS control unit, steering angle sensor, steering components, suspension components, and tires, or after adjusting wheel alignment, make sure to adjust neutral position of steering angle sensor before running vehicle.

CAUTION:
To adjust neutral position of steering angle sensor, make sure to use CONSULT-II.
(Adjustment cannot be done without CONSULT-II.)

1. Stop vehicle with front wheels in straight-ahead position.
2. Connect the CONSULT-II and converter to the vehicle side DDL2 diagnosis connectors. Refer to BRC-
116, "CONSULT-II Functions" .
3. Turn the ignition switch on and in the following order touch “ABS” “WORK SUPPORT” “ANGLE SENSOR
ADJUSTMENT” in the CONSULT-II screen. Refer to BRC-116, "CONSULT-II Functions" .
4. Touch “START”.
CAUTION:
Do not touch steering wheel while adjusting steering angle
sensor.
5. After approximately 10 seconds, touch “END”. (After approximately
60 seconds, it ends automatically.)
6. Turn ignition switch OFF, then turn it ON again.
CAUTION:
Be sure to carry out above operation.
7. Run vehicle with front wheels in straight-ahead position, then
stop.
8. Select “DATA MONITOR”, “CONTROL MODULE INPUT ITEM”, and “STEERING ANGLE SIGNAL” on
CONSULT-II screen. Then check that “STEERING ANGLE SIGNAL” is within 0±2.5 deg. If value is more
than specification, repeat steps 1 to 5.
9. Erase memory of VDC/TCS/ABS control unit and ECM.
10. Turn ignition switch to OFF.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:09 PM
ksj

I guess I wasn't at all clear what impact this would have.

If the steering sensor isn't set to neutral position (steering wheel straight ahead), then the car can veer under hard braking as the VDC evaluates the sensor position in relation to where you have the steering wheel and they may not agree.

In other situations where VDC may kick in it will not be accurate, and may in fact be dangerous if it kicks in and the sensor that reads the steering position thinks straight ahead is 2-3 degrees to the left of where it really is.

I guess the message to me however was that I had to get my alignment done at a dealer since the only way to adjust it is with a Consult-II.

Personally I've been trying to figure out a gas mileage problem since I put the S-Tune & S03's on. I had the car aligned a few days later, but not many miles after I put the suspension and sways in.

It didn't have horrible mileage, but it wasn't good (22mpg hiway). With the alignment I got last week I'm back to 26-28 on the hiway, but in town it's like 14-16.

The S03's probably don't help mileage, but 20% seems a little much to me. Am I off base, or should I just take it to the dealer for the alignments? Could the sensor be involved somehow in my mpg issue?

TIA
Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ksj
I guess I wasn't at all clear what impact this would have.

If the steering sensor isn't set to neutral position (steering wheel straight ahead), then the car can veer under hard braking as the VDC evaluates the sensor position in relation to where you have the steering wheel and they may not agree.

In other situations where VDC may kick in it will not be accurate, and may in fact be dangerous if it kicks in and the sensor that reads the steering position thinks straight ahead is 2-3 degrees to the left of where it really is.

I guess the message to me however was that I had to get my alignment done at a dealer since the only way to adjust it is with a Consult-II.

Personally I've been trying to figure out a gas mileage problem since I put the S-Tune & S03's on. I had the car aligned a few days later, but not many miles after I put the suspension and sways in.

It didn't have horrible mileage, but it wasn't good (22mpg hiway). With the alignment I got last week I'm back to 26-28 on the hiway, but in town it's like 14-16.

The S03's probably don't help mileage, but 20% seems a little much to me. Am I off base, or should I just take it to the dealer for the alignments? Could the sensor be involved somehow in my mpg issue?

TIA
I doubt it is your align or wheels, I get about 15mpg city, with my stock and aftermarket wheels (before and after align)
Old 05-07-2003, 04:54 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I must be driving like a grandpa. I get 22 mpg around town. I don't ever hit the interestate, though, and stop and go is pretty limited.

Unless I'm pushing it, I do have a tendency to go to higher gears pretty fast, though, often even skipping from 1st to 4th in like a 35 zone or 4th to 6th if I'm in cruising around 50 or 60. That doesn't mean I don't play a lot, though, too
Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
ksj

I used to get 20-21 in the city before the suspension and wheels.

I noticed right away that the steering wheel is a little to the left when I'm going straight. I watched the guy align it and made sure the wheel was centered (he used a device to lock it in place) when he set the alignment, and watched him adjust the front toe-in, which was even on each side. The cross camber and cross caster were also even.

If it's not this then I'm at a loss... My mileage isn't that bad, but the steering wheel angle is annoying in any case... More importantly the VDC isn't going to work correctly until I take it into the dealer and have him set it with the Consult-II...
Old 05-07-2003, 04:05 PM
ricastm8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize this, but from page brc-94 in the FSM, you need a Consult II to set the steering angle sensor.
When I picked up my car at the dealer they made a diagnose at my request, no MIL light or anything, but the printout came with something about alignment. I had read about tire feathering in this forum before getting my car and thought this was the reason for the error code. The "tech" at the dealer said they didn't have the "machine" to do the alignment and fix the error.

Is this true?

Is this because of the steering angle sensor?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
ksj

Originally posted by ricastm8
The "tech" at the dealer said they didn't have the "machine" to do the alignment and fix the error.

Is this true?

Is this because of the steering angle sensor?
They may not have an alignment machine, or the CCK tool the manual talks about. If they had a printout about an alignment error it was probably from the Consult-II.

This is the only message from the Consult-II that relates to alignment I've seen so far in the FSM, and it is buried in the manuals.

The dealer may have mis-understood the error as meaning the alignment needed to be set, and they may be right. If it was right when it left the factory and is out of spec now then I'd say you need an alignment. If there is one close to your dealer's service department or someone they use then maybe you can get them to bring the Consult-II to set it for you afterward.

I really don't know the impact of not setting this, but I know I want the steering sensor to know where I think straight ahead is as kind of baseline data before it starts doing anything.

If VDC can't really be fully disabled without removing fuses or disconnecting your brake lights, as rumor has it, then it's a pretty big error for Nissan to have left this out of the alignment procedure in the FSU section...