Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What color to paint my calipers on CS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VQracer
Doh, I feel like an idiot. I didn't think of this machine.

I resent my comment!

Paint it yellow Rod!!!

Victor
I was orgionally thinking YELLOW, than I saw a pic of that GT and really started to lean towards yellow, then now, I don;t know??
Old 05-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ralphus
Painting calipers = rice.

Do black or silver if you must.
When your "stock" brakes are as good in stopping distance as the brembos, even aftermarkets, they just don't handle brake fade quite as well on repeated stops, it's not RICE. That is my opinion. Do you really think people would spend $2000+ for aftermarket brakes if they were completely invisible, and they only offered better fade resistance on the track? Not likely. By your definition, any visual modification is RICE.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Ralphus

Yeah sorta, if they came from the factory that way, or IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE upgraded brakes that came colored that's one thing.

However, pulling off your dinky stock caliper and painting it is something every little scumbag with a hopped up Civic does.

With the stock Brembo's or UPGRADED braking system YOU are the reason that kid is painting his brakes, because he wants to imitate your high performance car, but if YOU take off your stock brake caliper and paint it some ridiculous color then you are just a scumbag! (Or imitating one)

Last edited by Ralphus; 05-13-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:57 PM
rodH

Yeah sorta, if they came from the factory that way, or IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE upgraded brakes that came colored that's one thing.

However, pulling off your dinky stock caliper and painting it is something every little scumbag with a hopped up Civic does.

With the stock Brembo's or UPGRADED braking system YOU are the reason that kid is painting his brakes, because he wants to imitate your high performance car, but if YOU take off your stock brake caliper and paint it some ridiculous color then you are just a scumbag! (Or imitating one)
"DINKY" dude, next time you park next to a car, compare the brake size of your Z and the other car (assuming it isn't an SUV, TRUCK or supercar or LARGE sedan).

these are HARDLY "dinky"
Old 05-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Rob Nance

You didn't answer the question, nor have you shown any ability to hold an intelligent discussion.

How about this question: If a guy has massive stock brakes, painted yellow from the factory, and wants to change them to a different color, is that "rice"?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:21 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Rob Nance
You didn't answer the question, nor have you shown any ability to hold an intelligent discussion.

How about this question: If a guy has massive stock brakes, painted yellow from the factory, and wants to change them to a different color, is that "rice"?
I am beginning to think that some feel that ANYTIME you don't keep your car the way it rolled off hte showroom is considered "RICE"
Old 05-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by Rob Nance

I highly doubt anyone who paid big money for massive stock brakes from the factory is going to do anything to alter the appearance of them as to lead people he does not have them.

Now if rodH paints his non-massive calipers yellow or some other color, I will just think he is just trying to emulate the looks of those cars WITH THE massive high PERFORMANCE brakes. Seems like something a riceboy might do.

However, I do understand the concept of visual appeal. So that being said, what will be seen?

Civic driving punk kid will love it. "DAMN DAWG, Look at them calipers, looks tight, yo!"

I, as an enthusiast, will see a guy trying to emulate performance he does not have.

Joe Blow, just a random man, will associate the paint on the calipers as a mod that he sees all them punk kids doing to their Civics and assume the driver of this car is a punk.

A woman, won't notice.

Now, what is the point of visual appeal? Some would say it's if YOU think it looks good, but I don't buy that. Generally, it's others will find appealing, and I don't think too many people dig the bar-b-que painted calipers on cars without PERFORMANCE braking systems (except riceboys). Hence why I think it is not a good idea.

This is all of course opinion, but this guy has the best looking Z on the forum, probably one of the best I've seen. Nice color, $4000 forged wheels, etc. I'd hate to see him do something questionable to it.

Just seems to me like this mod is somehow "below" his car, he's obviously got a real class act look going with the car, and I don't think he should ruin it.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:50 PM
rodH

This is all of course opinion, but this guy has the best looking Z on the forum, probably one of the best I've seen. Nice color, $4000 forged wheels, etc. I'd hate to see him do something questionable to it.

Just seems to me like this mod is somehow "below" his car, he's obviously got a real class act look going with the car, and I don't think he should ruin it.
THANX!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:01 AM
saint01

What bothers me about this thread is how rodH was looking for an opinion with regards to the color that he should paint his calipers. He started to get feedback on what others thought the color should be, but it then turned into a barrage of "how painting calipers is RICE". This is not what this guy was looking for when he posted the thread. He obviously doesn't think that it is rice and even if he does, who cares? I have a hard time with people that like to push their personal opinions about what others should do with their cars onto everyone.

I have friends with Z's and I would never do some of the mods that they have done, but that is why they are THEIR cars. All rodH was asking was WHAT COLOR SHOULD HE CHOOSE . He was not asking, "IS THIS RICE", or, "SHOULD I DO THIS". Having said that, I would contend that Rod Nance came here looking to pick a fight with his posting of

Grow Up. All he wanted was opinion about which color, of his choices, other people thought looked best. If you didn't like any of his choices, or painting calipers at all, then this thread wasn't for you. Maybe I don't like Z roadsters or other mods that you have done, but you didn't ask for my opinion about them and therefore it isn't my place to give it to you.

BTW, rodH, I have a blue AEM intake, and am painting my engine covers blue to match and was thinking of painting the calipers blue as well. I think the blue might look good, but then again, I like to be a little different than everyone else.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Yancy

Thumbs up BLUE

I have a chrome silver Z and personally like blue. I have the Greddy TT kit though and wanted the brakes to match the Greddy Blue hosing. I ordered the 4-wheel stoptech kit in custom blue, which should be be here in a couple of weeks. I will post pics as soon as they arrive and are installed. Here is a cropped picture of the blue stoptech caliper on my CS. I now have the clear corners on it though, which will look better than the orange. The decision is ultimately up to you.
Attached Thumbnails What color to paint my calipers on CS??-yancy.jpg  
Old 02-21-2004, 03:46 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is a picture of my rice scumbag red calipers. I happen to like them.
Attached Thumbnails What color to paint my calipers on CS??-close-up-caliper.jpg  
Old 02-21-2004, 04:18 PM
ElvishasaZ

several posts seem to indicate this isnt really a functional mod but more give the appearance of mod..so I guess in that respect it is a bit "rice" if you use that term in that sense..not really sure what that means but if you think about it maybe it is wannabe otherwise why would you do it unless you wanted the "real Deal"..who knows to each their own anyway.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:14 PM
rodH

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ
several posts seem to indicate this isnt really a functional mod but more give the appearance of mod..so I guess in that respect it is a bit "rice" if you use that term in that sense..not really sure what that means but if you think about it maybe it is wannabe otherwise why would you do it unless you wanted the "real Deal"..who knows to each their own anyway.
some people just do things so it looks better (to them), in other words, you change wheels for appearence (usually), so in the strickest definition of the term "rice" anyone who gets new rims that are NOT lighter than stock, are "rice", also some get tinted windows, NOT for the shade factor, but for appearence, painting or polishing any engine part=rice, debadging, or changing badges=rice, the list goes on, but I think you get my point. I didn't paint them to look like anything in particular (I already have a set of $3500 wheels and tires, a $2000+ sound system, and other performance mods and more on the way, along with an already $35k car, if I really wanted a set of Brand X calipers, I think I would have bought them. I just painted them because I think calipers look so unfinished without it, but again, that is just me. ALso, funny how when a BrandX custom paints your calipers it is NOT considered "rice", yet the ONLY purpose to offer custom colors is to make money and for appearence, infact the ONLY benefit for BrandX to even paint them in the 1st place is for appearence, so is that "rice"??

btw, I decided on red, here are the pics with JVD stickers

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=60992
Old 02-21-2004, 08:22 PM
ElvishasaZ

Originally posted by rodH
some people just do things so it looks better (to them), in other words, you change wheels for appearence (usually), so in the strickest definition of the term "rice" anyone who gets new rims that are NOT lighter than stock, are "rice", also some get tinted windows, NOT for the shade factor, but for appearence, painting or polishing any engine part=rice, debadging, or changing badges=rice, the list goes on, but I think you get my point. I didn't paint them to look like anything in particular (I already have a set of $3500 wheels and tires, a $2000+ sound system, and other performance mods and more on the way, along with an already $35k car, if I really wanted a set of Brand X calipers, I think I would have bought them. I just painted them because I think calipers look so unfinished without it, but again, that is just me. ALso, funny how when a BrandX custom paints your calipers it is NOT considered "rice", yet the ONLY purpose to offer custom colors is to make money and for appearence, infact the ONLY benefit for BrandX to even paint them in the 1st place is for appearence, so is that "rice"??

btw, I decided on red, here are the pics with JVD stickers

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=60992
BTW Im all for personalizing your ride..was more trying to understand I guess the psycology behind it when viewed in the light people make thier comments on this post and others when they use the term "rice" is all
you mentioned about BrandX when they offer theirs in different colors...when you pay a good amount I would think function and looks to some degree go hand in hand at that point in that case its a highlight of the quality in other word having both sytle and substance dont ya think?
Old 05-22-2004, 06:45 AM
heckyl

Im going to paint mine blue with yellow poka-dots, so you cant call it rice for imatating something else, and I can express myself. Actually, yellow with blue poka-dots sounds better. Maybe put some racing stripes on them? yeah, racing stripes -- will make the car go faster.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:27 PM
drivenCSZ

painting the calipers on the Z isnt rice, or atleast i dont think so or i wouldnt have done it to my CS, which I painted red. Its just a slight touch that I think most normal people dont even notice. its not a huge wing or neon lights and the stock Z brakes are quite good anyways so aftermarket kits arent really even needed unless your tracking the car. when i painted mine i suurely wasnt trying to give joe schmoe the impression that i had aftermarket brakes and anyone that knows the car would know they are just painted anyways. I did it cause i think it looks pretty cool, red instead of grey. personal satisfaction. as far as the original question i say go with red, blue, or silver...maybe black if your trying to be really subtle. I liked the red cause it kinda matched with the tail lights.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Reb1281

RohH, those rims are beautiful. Have you considered getting a Stoptech brake kit with silver calipers. Silver on silver looks awesome. My friend has a CS with 19" GT-Cs and Stoptech Big Brake kit w/ silver calipers. They look so flashy and cool--with class. If you decide to upgrade, consider silver calipers. Take care of that silver bullet.