Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hotchkis springs in, what is the next logical step?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007 | 06:22 PM
mzdfc3s

Default Hotchkis springs in, what is the next logical step?!?

well i spent most of my day detailing while waiting for the friendly fed-ex man, who so graciously works on a saturday, to deliver my springs....did the rears-no problem-did the fronts, one took 3 hours, and the other took 25 minutes after learning how to do it right. my questions are as follows and let me first point out that i may be looking to do sways & other misc suspension upgrades in the immediate future; 1) i can obviously see that i need a rear camber kit-where can i find that most economical-performance friendly kit? 2) if i even plan on doing further suspension mods, is it worth it to get it alligned or wait until i am done everything? 3) is the camber something i can adjust myself or need to have done at a shop? 4) should i be looking at 4 wheel or 2 wheel allignment? 5) i started drinking on the final spring install-go figure after 4 hours, so i cant remember all the points i wanted to make here but, if anyone has some suggestions or future planning tips id be much thankfull!!!
Old 08-12-2007 | 10:39 AM
VIZAGE

1) Most people have been using the SPC adjustable camber and toe bolts.
2) You need to have the alignment checked, but if your going to order the camber arms and toe bolts wait for those products and do at same time. The Hotchkis is a mild drop, so there shouldn't have anything way off. Only lowering your car is going to affect alignment. Adding sways later is not going to change any alignment issues.
3) You need a shop to do it, unless you own a alignment machine or know how to adjust yourself and the shop will let you borrow there machine.
4) You can't adjust front camber and castor without a aftermarket kit. But toe you can. Which is the most important. So if you take to shop have them do all they can. It should all cost the same for two or four wheel.
Old 08-12-2007 | 07:13 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by mzdfc3s
well i spent most of my day detailing while waiting for the friendly fed-ex man, who so graciously works on a saturday, to deliver my springs....did the rears-no problem-did the fronts, one took 3 hours, and the other took 25 minutes after learning how to do it right. my questions are as follows and let me first point out that i may be looking to do sways & other misc suspension upgrades in the immediate future; 1) i can obviously see that i need a rear camber kit-where can i find that most economical-performance friendly kit? 2) if i even plan on doing further suspension mods, is it worth it to get it alligned or wait until i am done everything? 3) is the camber something i can adjust myself or need to have done at a shop? 4) should i be looking at 4 wheel or 2 wheel allignment? 5) i started drinking on the final spring install-go figure after 4 hours, so i cant remember all the points i wanted to make here but, if anyone has some suggestions or future planning tips id be much thankfull!!!

1. Most owner's with the Hotchkis springs are able to align to within oem specs. For those that drop further then what Hotchkis springs do AND have a desire to stay within oem specs, at that point getting aftermarket parts to stay within spec becomes a good idea. If you really want to rely on your eyes, the SPC kit with camber arms and elongated toe cam bolts is the way to go for the rear. In the front, have to say to flat out not buy one until you get the car aligned and then decided if you want to spend $400 or more for front camber correction.

2. Get the car aligned. Take it from me what plans you think will happen just around the corner, just don't happen that soon. Last thing you want is to be washing the car one day and look at your tires and say, jeez where'd my thread go?

3&4 Shop. 4 wheel only, don't bother with 2 wheel.

5. What are you asking?
Old 08-13-2007 | 09:49 AM
mzdfc3s

thanks for the replies, i think im gonna go ahead and get the spc rears, hotchkis sways, & maybe do the front and rear lateral bracing too. i cant believe what a difference just the springs made!!!! cant wait to get the rest in
Old 08-13-2007 | 03:09 PM
VIZAGE

Wait until you buy the sways! You should of got the package deal? You would of saved some cash.
Old 08-13-2007 | 05:47 PM
mzdfc3s

yeah i know, it was kind of impulse. 180 shipped for the springs wasnt too bad, now i have the bug. i havent even made one payment yet, so i was tryin to wait until i could just dump a bunch of cash on goodies. its kinda hard to wait on anything when you just spent 5 years in school, completely broke for all of it, and get out with a really awesome paying job-saving money will be a hard thing to do.....right away. but now im really glad i worked hard!