9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

BBK Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Sizzle

Received 1,211 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Minda
6 pot calipers are a waste - they only matter for endurance track use, otherwise they weight more and pads are more expensive. Most importantly - 6 pot do not give you any better braking force.
To the contrary they are not a waste. You are correct that they do not decrease stopping distance, but they do increase pad life due to more even pressure distribution across the pad. I have had my 6 pot fronts for 3 years and have changed the pads twice!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:27 AM
CESAROTORRES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are missing one!!!

I will recommend Project-mu. Now if you have Brembo's OEM , I agree with STAV! stay with them and get the BIG Brembos on the front and keep the rears.

Do you track the car?

Take care
Cesar
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Minda

Originally Posted by Sizzle
To the contrary they are not a waste. You are correct that they do not decrease stopping distance, but they do increase pad life due to more even pressure distribution across the pad. I have had my 6 pot fronts for 3 years and have changed the pads twice!!
You are right, however pad life really matters only on endurance track.
For street the increased pad life is offset by higher pad cost and lesser pad choice.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
hey tech, was wondering why ap racing was the best one?

vince, i would really recommend going with ap racing or stoptech. ap racing i just heard was really good according to others, but i do want to see what tech has to say, and i've always believed in stoptechs to be good cuz i used to have them.
AP's are the best of what the OP listed. They simply make the best product of the choices mentioned. Nothing wrong with Stoptechs, just not at the top of the food chain like AP.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CESAROTORRES
I will recommend Project-mu. Now if you have Brembo's OEM , I agree with STAV! stay with them and get the BIG Brembos on the front and keep the rears.

Do you track the car?

Take care
Cesar
Thanks for all of the inputs guys. I am deciding now between AP and Stoptech. Cesarotorres, I don't track the car at all. The main reason why i decided to get BBK because i actually need a system that can stop fairly quickly, and of course, looks that comes with the BBK. Project-Mu might be a bit out of my reach simply because of the cost.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Changvi
Thanks for all of the inputs guys. I am deciding now between AP and Stoptech. Cesarotorres, I don't track the car at all. The main reason why i decided to get BBK because i actually need a system that can stop fairly quickly, and of course, looks that comes with the BBK. Project-Mu might be a bit out of my reach simply because of the cost.
If you don't track the car, then you don't need a BBK and it really won't do you any good. Like I mentioned above, a good set of pads and tires will do everything that you want.

Project Mu is nice, but you pay a price when you need pads as they are hard to come by.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
If you don't track the car, then you don't need a BBK and it really won't do you any good. Like I mentioned above, a good set of pads and tires will do everything that you want.

Project Mu is nice, but you pay a price when you need pads as they are hard to come by.

It's obvious he wants them for looks as do 50% of BBK buyers. The reason I say Stoptech is because they've been around and their calipers look great. I don't any have expierence with AP or Rotora..... with that being said, I don't really care for AP's calipers and I heard Rotora is not up to par on the track. Sounds to me like AP for performance, Rotora for looks, Stoptech for both. As for Brembo...they really need to offer a 4 wheel kit.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 AM
JasiJ

Changvi

Have you considered WilWood? I have had them for about a year and they are FANtastic! and easy on the Wallet.....
If I had to choose one of the above it would be Stoptech there R&D and quality are very good.....
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by JasiJ
Changvi

Have you considered WilWood? I have had them for about a year and they are FANtastic! and easy on the Wallet.....
If I had to choose one of the above it would be Stoptech there R&D and quality are very good.....
I would choose against this as Wilwood does not make a Z specific kit. Someone else has come up with brackets, etc. to make them work on the Z, but there is zero testing done on this "kit" from Wilwood.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you realize these same questions have been asked and answered in at least 5 other threads right? All with some good, first hand info shown

How do you expect a specific answer when you give 0 info about the type of driving you do, your budget (your choices are all over the place cost wise), your uses for the car (show, real racing, etc),let alone the type of wheels you are running ( a big consideration from a clearance standpoint)?

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 08-22-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
JasiJ

I would choose against this as Wilwood does not make a Z specific kit. Someone else has come up with brackets, etc. to make them work on the Z, but there is zero testing done on this "kit" from Wilwood.
Sorry I never meant to insinuate that testing was done on the WilWood "KITS" I know there is technicaly NOT a kit from WilWood, but they still are a great Brake company. So when I researched all the kits, I couldn't see spending an additional 2-3K on a StopTech or Brembro over a Bracket, I mean the WilWood kit cost $2750 F&B and since I don't track the car, they are mainly for looks. I guess it comes down to what the OP wants from a BBK.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

For the record, the AP kit you guys have been talking about is not an official AP Racing kit either. For the most part they are prepared by Stillen using available AP racing calipers and rotors with locally made hats and brackets. AP racing doenst even have an official US office that does specific engineering or distribution so getting replacement parts like rotors can be dodgy and expensive, especially if they have to be sent direct from AP Racing in the UK.

AP racing does make some great motorsports products and are used widely in series like Formula 1 and WRC but the street kits available do not use any of the same parts and do not have much of the same engineering.

If someone can provide some actual data showing that the AP kits are of higher quality or offer better performance I'd sure like to see it since it since we havent been able to find it. Our calipers have been proven to be stiffer, have better pad retention, better pad availability, custom tuned piston sizing specifically for the 350Z instead of the closest fit parts chosen from a catalog, our rotors are readily available from any of our distributors anywhere in the US and the rotor replacements will cost much less and are every bit as good as the AP racing parts if not better.

The 350Z is by far our most supported application with 4 different front kits and 2 different rear kits, all of which offer the same over front to rear balance that can be mixed and matched to meet any car and driver's needs. These options can only come from extensive testing and engineering on the application. We have proven this time and time again in magazine testing where we have the shortest recorded stopping disctance ever recorded in any 350Z on the JIC built 350Z among other accolades. Our championship winning race teams in Grand Am Cup and World Challenge are using standard off the shelf calipers and rotors that we sell in all of our big brake kits and regularly outperform other manufacturer's exotic racing parts that cost significantly more.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
blaukal

^ nice post.

To the OP -- Stoptech rocks, as they have done Z-specific engineering for their kit. But if you're not tracking your car, as TECH points out, it's really overkill. Which means, in my opinion, buy the cheapest BBK that you feel comfortable with (since performance has no meaning in your context, it's just about the look and the brand name).
Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blaukal
^ nice post.

To the OP -- Stoptech rocks, as they have done Z-specific engineering for their kit. But if you're not tracking your car, as TECH points out, it's really overkill. Which means, in my opinion, buy the cheapest BBK that you feel comfortable with (since performance has no meaning in your context, it's just about the look and the brand name).
it's alot more than "just about looks"

Brakes are wear items. Rotors at some point need replacing, pads at some point need replacing. Or, you break a bleeder for example. Ever try to source a set of pads for a Rotora kit, or a Greddy kit, or a Project Mu kit for example? Very, very limited pad choices for those brands (as examples), and with some, the ones that are out are not always readily available, nor direct drop ins (some need some dremel work). I have waited upwards of 5 weeks for pads for some of these kits before...that's not a good position to be in when the car is down to metal on metal. Bleeders? We had a customer break a bleeder on his Project Mu kit. Waited 8 weeks....literally, and it never came. Finally I ended up drilling/retapping the threads and using ones from an Alcon caliper (since they were readily available). Same thing potentially goes for rotors.

So yes, their form is certainly an important aspect to consider, as is their function, but so are replacement parts and maintenance items. This is where I feel firms like Stoptech, AP, Brembo, Endless, etc have a leg up vs some of the other manufacturers out there.

It's like any other mod you do. Being forward thinking BEFORE you buy, makes for a more satisfying experience AFTER you buy.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Changvi

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you realize these same questions have been asked and answered in at least 5 other threads right? All with some good, first hand info shown

How do you expect a specific answer when you give 0 info about the type of driving you do, your budget (your choices are all over the place cost wise), your uses for the car (show, real racing, etc),let alone the type of wheels you are running ( a big consideration from a clearance standpoint)?
Ok, lets not get too heated over the lack of info here. I was just merely asking about user's experience. I have already narrowed down to two kits, so cost is not a problem for me. I do mostly daily driving, and i do need good stopping power along with the looks. I am currently running Volk GTF with +17 front, and +15 in the rear; 255 and 275 respectively. Also planning to enter in a few car shows as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

out of your list, the Stoptech I think is your best bet, with proven performance, abundance of pad choices for down the road, and a great value per dollar. Plus replacement rotors are HEAPS cheaper than AP, which would be my second choice in this price point.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StopTech
For the record, the AP kit you guys have been talking about is not an official AP Racing kit either. For the most part they are prepared by Stillen using available AP racing calipers and rotors with locally made hats and brackets. AP racing doenst even have an official US office that does specific engineering or distribution so getting replacement parts like rotors can be dodgy and expensive, especially if they have to be sent direct from AP Racing in the UK.

AP racing does make some great motorsports products and are used widely in series like Formula 1 and WRC but the street kits available do not use any of the same parts and do not have much of the same engineering.

If someone can provide some actual data showing that the AP kits are of higher quality or offer better performance I'd sure like to see it since it since we havent been able to find it. Our calipers have been proven to be stiffer, have better pad retention, better pad availability, custom tuned piston sizing specifically for the 350Z instead of the closest fit parts chosen from a catalog, our rotors are readily available from any of our distributors anywhere in the US and the rotor replacements will cost much less and are every bit as good as the AP racing parts if not better.

The 350Z is by far our most supported application with 4 different front kits and 2 different rear kits, all of which offer the same over front to rear balance that can be mixed and matched to meet any car and driver's needs. These options can only come from extensive testing and engineering on the application. We have proven this time and time again in magazine testing where we have the shortest recorded stopping disctance ever recorded in any 350Z on the JIC built 350Z among other accolades. Our championship winning race teams in Grand Am Cup and World Challenge are using standard off the shelf calipers and rotors that we sell in all of our big brake kits and regularly outperform other manufacturer's exotic racing parts that cost significantly more.

Exactly why I went with stoptech!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
out of your list, the Stoptech I think is your best bet, with proven performance, abundance of pad choices for down the road, and a great value per dollar. Plus replacement rotors are HEAPS cheaper than AP, which would be my second choice in this price point.
Great! Thanks for the info. I think Stoptech would be my top choice then AP.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM
abyss

I wont be hardcore tracking my car, but I will be getting a BBK because where I live and where I do my fun driving. My drive to town is almost an hour of twisty roads and I get alot of brake fade out there when we cruise around the lake for a while.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Sizzle

Received 1,211 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Exactly why I went with stoptech!
This is a StopTech rep talking up his product. I'm sure an AP rep could run down all his talking points just as convincingly.

I think thery're both great products, but the AP calipers are superior to the Stop Techs and there is just no debating that....
Pad choices are more limited than StopTech, but to me when you find the right one you stick with it. I have Ferodo ceramics and they are awesome..

Quick Reply: BBK Poll