Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Most comfortable coilovers for daily driving?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97supratt
gotcha.

I've heard good things about the tein CS coilovers.

I have them and they are really smooth and comfy

CS stands for "comfort sport"
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Which one has the more comfortable/OEM feel, PSS9s or Tein CS?
If I was a betting man I'd guess the valving on the Bilsteins are superior to those of the Teins. Plus the spring rates are mild and progressive. I would guess the Bilsteins are more comfortable.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have JIC-Magic FLT-A2's and they are really comfortable even with the 10kg/12kg spring rates.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
eemon10

Originally Posted by eemon10
how is handling on HKS coils?...im guessing it prob wont we as good as something like tein flex but how are they performance wise?
???????
Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Z
I have JIC-Magic FLT-A2's and they are really comfortable even with the 10kg/12kg spring rates.

Well,..........I've been keeping track of owner comments since 2003 and you would be the first and only person that has discribed the Jic FLT-A2 on a 350Z as being "really comfortable", let alone post up in a thread there the OP want's comfort. I didn't write any of the following.

Originally Posted by azrael
for those people out there with JIC FLT-A2 coilovers on their Z --

how is the ride? Stiffness isn't a problem, but a harsh ride would probably bother me. The stock suspension's tendency to "bounce" is somewhat harsh. I'm hoping to improve the handling and fix the bounce simultaneously with a coilover install.
Originally Posted by John
If you get the linear setup, the car will still have a pretty jarring ride. The rebound is adjustable on the ground...
Originally Posted by azrael
even on full soft?

hm, that's somewhat disappointing. I might have to talk to a few other people with FLT-A2s on other cars just to compare experiences before I make a decision.

I have mine on full soft all the time (except when at the track), and on DC roads, it's pretty friggin harsh. Once I get out of the urban areas, the roads are smooth enough where I don't notice the stiffness. What are the roads like in your area? Are there lots of potholes, buckles, et cetera?
JICs are trash, with high spring rates to mask poor valving. Lots of rattles, awful US customer support, overheating, and quite vulnerable to leaking. They've performed mediocre on track the past two years... and their ride on the street is taxing...
Originally Posted by daveh
Agree with everything John said about the JIC's (but tell us how you really feel ). I can vouch for the unitech/truechoice setup. You can't go wrong with a kit developed and tuned by a winning grand-am cup team. The spring rates and shock valving were derived from their race car!
I just tracked it yesterday at thunderhill and knocked about 4 seconds off my time. Their use of mild spring rates really soaks up the bumps which ultimately allows you to go faster. The shock adjustments really make a difference too. You can feel the difference of just one click. I'll write a full review when I have the time.
Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
I agree DMAN!!! jic aint that great. Zeals on the other hand is awesome...
=)

I loved the zeals on my car. on the street it was 2 front and 3 rear and to this day i regret selling them because stock is worse than the zeals were

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah the JIC's seem to have the most sacrifices for daily driven, and I've read about their poor customer service. If they do overheat though, I'll skip them for sure. I'd think with the track oriented reputation they have, if they overheat then they're not very well engineered since their goal is all out performance.

The HKS's spring weights seem more neutral while the Zeal's is stiffer in front and looser in back. How would those compare?

I definetly want something track oriented/heavy duty, and well balanced. The HKS is less money, but I'm getting the impression they're more street oriented than track.

Originally Posted by DmanG281
After about a year and a half my JICs pretty much started to fall apart. The finish on the springs started stripping off and the collars started rusting. Not to mention the damping on them was horrible little to no difference between full stiff and full soft. It didn't really matter anyways because the damper adjustment froze on them anyway. I will never ever buy another JIC suspension product ever.
Originally Posted by all star gene
You won't regret it if you get those, I had the JIC FLT-A2's for about 500 miles and I hated every mile. They ride way too stiff for everyday but those HKS RS's are close to a stock ride. Check the vendor classifieds for Injected Performance, I got mine from there for $1400 shipped.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I have the Zero 2 on mine, and we have done a few of them so far - definately a nice setup overall, and much less choppy on the street than the JIC's were.

I have driven 2 Z's so far with Zero 2's on the track, but not my own car yet.

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
The JICs HURT...

Unless you're into a VERY rough ride, do not get them...

However, the first corner or track day you attend... you'll quickly remember why you put up with that roughness!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
So I'm getting rid of my current setup and switching over to coilovers. What I am looking for is a coilover that is dampening adjustable and rides really smooth on the street. The car is not tracked at all, so I don't want high spring rates. I want to stay right around $1,000. I am currently looking at the BC Racing coilovers, but if you guys can suggest something, that would be great.
Based on what you want I'll throw out my usual distain for anything with progressive spring rates, even for aggressive street driving.

KW variant 2 (rebound adjustable dampning)
Tein CS
Bilstein PSS9*

*(I did speak with Bilstien's tech's about the PSS9 at length, they did say that the valving on the dampners is "sport" in nature. IMO, the CS stands the best chance of being softer overall, also keeping in mind that 30lbs front rate differance isn't worth bringing up).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Well,..........I've been keeping track of owner comments since 2003 and you would be the first and only person that has discribed the Jic FLT-A2 on a 350Z as being "really comfortable", let alone post up in a thread there the OP want's comfort. I didn't write any of the following.
I've driven from Oregon and back with them installed.

I dunno, maybe I'm just immune to the discomfort (being young and all) or maybe it's all placebo for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by eemon10
???????

One of the best reviewed system's by owners that have installed them. Run a search, they are very VERY well liked. We have seen a few show up in resale because they did not deliver the overall stiffness their owners had hoped for, exact same thing can be said for the Nismo S-tune (but not forgetting the how the S-tune setup differers overall).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Gsedan35

I've driven from Oregon and back with them installed.

I dunno, maybe I'm just immune to the discomfort (being young and all) or maybe it's all placebo for me.
I was just in Oregon this summer, have to say the road's I drove on are a whole lot better then what's local to me. Understand the getting used to part.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Devil Z

I usually drive HARD in the backroads/twisties up in the Washington Mountains with my crew (5-6 EVOs and an STI).

I think it's all up in my head, we're having so much fun that we don't even notice little discomforts.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
redlude97

I usually drive HARD in the backroads/twisties up in the Washington Mountains with my crew (5-6 EVOs and an STI).

I think it's all up in my head, we're having so much fun that we don't even notice little discomforts.
LOL, you guys are a "crew" now?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by redlude97
What is with you and trying to diss every post I make?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by redlude97
We are a group of "friends" who share an interest in "driving." Does that answer your question?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vastly prefer my HKS RS to any Tein Flex I've ever used on a Z - much broader dampening adjustment span, and 0 noise (Tein pillowball mounts are hit or miss it seems)

To again answer the OP's question. My recommendation is to wait till you can afford something worth having. Nothing in your price point is going to really be worth having, unless price is the most important deciding factor (above everything else)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Mr_Drifter

i think i've decided to go with the Bilstein PSS9 since I can get them at cost and the spring rates are close to OEM and you can adjust the rear dampening from behind the wheel.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Lucino

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
i think i've decided to go with the Bilstein PSS9 since I can get them at cost and the spring rates are close to OEM and you can adjust the rear dampening from behind the wheel.
how about adjusting the front dampen rate?
Please post some pics and review.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

front dampening on the bilstein is easy to do too - there are reviews that have been posted here and on the G35 forums already - a terrific coilover setup!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look @ eibach coilovers ( same as kw v.1 ) simple setup and very good quality. i like the ride a lot more vs. eibach prokit.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tac-M
look @ eibach coilovers ( same as kw v.1 ) simple setup and very good quality. i like the ride a lot more vs. eibach prokit.
a great choice but on national backorder until October at the earliest (both KW and Eibach)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Tac-M
I would have listed them with the other choices however re-read his requirements and you'll understand why I did not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most comfortable coilovers for daily driving?