Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo Z mass dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Do you mind sharing what the final cost was for everything.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=2902
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea if these will even come close to fitting on a G35 coupe? I'm sure the answer is not, they won't, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no clue unfortunately, someone would have to try it
Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
garage-c

Z1, it says on your site that these items are "Specila order only"... What is a Specila?

-The spelling police
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its Italian for "special"

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

exactly ciao
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Holy moly these are expensive. It amazes me the price people are willing to pay for innovation. Please post some reviews once you have these installed. Will be anxiously waiting to hear what benefit, if any, these provide.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm still "collecting" suspension pieces for my car. These look like an interesting addition.

One of the pieces I have sitting on my floor is the Ikeya Formula front reinforcement bar. It actually looks like it uses the same mounting points as the nismo front damper.

....the problem is I'm not sure because the Ikeya instructions are in Japanese, and I've never seen a picture posted on the internet of this bar installed (all internet pics I've seen are of their prototype version which was bent and mounted differently).

So, basically, I think I'll pick up the rear, but until I learn Japanese or bring the Ikeya bar to a good shop to install it, I'm unsure if I want the front one as well. So I'll wait to order the rear until I know whether or not I want the front, since it seems there is a discount if you order both together.
Attached Thumbnails Nismo Z mass dampers?-ikeya-formula-front-reinforcement-bar.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by 21112
I'm still "collecting" suspension pieces for my car. These look like an interesting addition.

One of the pieces I have sitting on my floor is the Ikeya Formula front reinforcement bar. It actually looks like it uses the same mounting points as the nismo front damper.

....the problem is I'm not sure because the Ikeya instructions are in Japanese, and I've never seen a picture posted on the internet of this bar installed (all internet pics I've seen are of their prototype version which was bent and mounted differently).

So, basically, I think I'll pick up the rear, but until I learn Japanese or bring the Ikeya bar to a good shop to install it, I'm unsure if I want the front one as well. So I'll wait to order the rear until I know whether or not I want the front, since it seems there is a discount if you order both together.
I read that as IKEA first....

Where do these bars bolt on. At the same locations as the yahama dampers or under the car like the GTSPEC braces?

The yahama parts are actually dampers and are meant to absorb impact. Your solid bars bolted to the same location may increase rigidity, but would not have the same overall effect.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
blackz123

are the damps worth the 1k?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

I don't know if they're worth a $1K, but I'd make sure my suspension were properly setup before I even considered these dampers.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sensi09
I read that as IKEA first....

Where do these bars bolt on. At the same locations as the yahama dampers or under the car like the GTSPEC braces?

The yahama parts are actually dampers and are meant to absorb impact. Your solid bars bolted to the same location may increase rigidity, but would not have the same overall effect.
Not sure where it bolts, but it is to the same AREA as the nismo one (front radiator support area). Looking at the bolts holes it seems like it could be to where the Nismo front damper bolts.

And yes a damper is different than a solid bar, but in MY case I already OWN the Ikeya one....so my decision is already made there. lol.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by 21112
Not sure where it bolts, but it is to the same AREA as the nismo one (front radiator support area). Looking at the bolts holes it seems like it could be to where the Nismo front damper bolts.

And yes a damper is different than a solid bar, but in MY case I already OWN the Ikeya one....so my decision is already made there. lol.
Where did you get this part from? I couldn't find a list of any US distributors on Ikeya's website.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

we have the Ikeya brace available
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
exactly ciao
don't think so.. would be "speciale" but just in case learn this for the next bad italian customer "il buorotto di tu ma" (it's slang)

Matteo
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

hehehe thanks Matteo
Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Where did you get this part from? I couldn't find a list of any US distributors on Ikeya's website.
I got my from bulletproofautomotive.com.....but I wasn't aware that Z1auto carried these.

I have shopped from bulletproofautomotive and z1auto before and I have had great experiences with each, so all I'll say about where they can be found is that.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
we have the Ikeya brace available
If you sell these braces too, is there any chance you have mounted one, or at least got your hands on English instructions?

Can you tell me where this thing mounts exactly? Is it the same mounting points as the Nismo front damper and therefore, it's one or the other?

Let me know, and if that's so, I'll put in an order for just the rear Nismo damper.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:17 PM
MustGoFastR

Here's a pic I found of the Ikeya bar mounted. It does indeed use the same mounting points as the front Nismo mass dampener.

If I were you, I'd wait for more detailed impressions of the mass dampeners before pulling the trigger. I'm not at all impressed with what I've read so far (certainly not enought to justify the cost) and I have doubts as to whether the rear bar alone will do much of anything for you. I'm anxiously awaiting more detailed reviews from Z-1 Performance.

Also look at what your goal is. The reinforcement bar, like the GT-Spec Braces, make the chassis stiffer. The mass dampeners are supposed to make an already stiff chassis more comfortable by absorbing vibrations that would otherwise be transmitted through the chassis (if I understand the concept correctly); they don't really do anything to increase handling performance, other than maybe making a stiff chassied, stiffly sprung car feel less "jumpy" over small bumps. I was interested in them b/c I was amazed at how much better the Nismo Z drove comfort-wise than my car on full Nismo S-tune suspension and sways, but have since learned that the Nismo Z suspension is not the same S-tune setup that I have; it's softer. SO, as to what these dampeners actually do for the Z and whether or not they are a worthwhile mod will have to be determine by those experienced with such things, so c'mon, Z-1, get those things on and post up a review!

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 04-07-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Here's a pic I found of the Ikeya bar mounted. It does indeed use the same mounting points as the front Nismo mass dampener.

If I were you, I'd wait for more detailed impressions of the mass dampeners. I'm not at all impressed with what I've read so far (certainly not enought to justify the cost) and I have doubts as to whether the rear bar alone will do much of anything for you. I'm anxiously awaiting more detailed reviews from Z-1 Performance.
Thank you so much for that pic!!!

Quick Reply: Nismo Z mass dampers?