Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Opinions on Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 AM
chamois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads

I was looking at these brake pads and wanted to get anyones opinions on them. just looking for a good all around brake pad. thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many would agree that the Hawk pads are great. From fellow friends who have them, they love them. A little better than stock. I have some sitting in my shop for the last few months, but it hasn't come time to change them. But have been thinking of doing it shortly, even though the stock ones are holding up good. I just want to get a chance to use them before the rotors wear and before I get a BBK.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 AM
jtabraham

I replaced my OEM pads with Hawks HPS. Performance-wise, it feels pretty much like stock, but the lack of brake dust more than makes up for the price!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Beau

I've used 2 different brands of ceramic pads and I've never been satisfied with their performance. I'll be sticking with organic pads from now on.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
!prjctmax!

These pads are great, reduce brake fade, have very little dust, minimal noise, and last a pretty long time.

Great bang for buck imo
dan
Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 AM
abui01

Hawk HPS = Can't stop in the rain = Fun! =D
They need to be heated up just a bit to get some bite. It's a love/hate relationship with these things for many people. Some love em, some hate em. Yes they are "low-dust" but not up to par on performance. The best performance pads I've used were all dusty, there's always a trade-off.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Beau

Do you drive the car really hard with lots of hard stops?

If so, just bite the bullet and get HP+. The dust makes your wheels look like you painted them gun metal so you could view it as a good thing. You definitely won't be upset with the grip.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Hawk HPS ferro-carbon and they are freakin killer. Ive had the same set on for.....about a year and a half and everytime I look to see if i need to replace them, they have plenty of pad left and NO brake dust. **ck ceramic pads, they eat rotors, make a ton of noise and a big freakin mess. Never again.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here ya go
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PBC17

end of thread.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ebc red stuff is a great balance of similar oem bite, better fade resistance, less dust and noise. braking with hawk hps in the cold or the rain = ftl.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 PM
island03z

I had hawk HPS for a month. Street driving was great, had good initial bite, low dust and no squealing. Took it to the track and by the 3rd lap on the straight away at PIR doing 114 I hit the brakes and nothing happened. Stock pads handled at least 12 laps before fading. Took them straight off when I got home. I'm on Nismos now but im still in search for a better pad.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 AM
archspeed

My HPS is squeaky as hell! And like everyone said, initial braking sucks. If you pull out of your house in the morning and had to do an emergency braking, better do it at least 20 feet in advance of your braking point. One time I forgot about it and put the brake on when a stupid lady ran the red light at an intersection near my house.

By the time I stopped, I was almost in thhe middle of the intersection. And yes, I saw her pulling the crap move on me, and hit the brakes, or else I'd t-bone her already.

But on teh OEM brakes I would have no trouble stopping before entering the intersection.

If you use HPS, just know this "feature" of it, and do some hard braking right after you pull out of the house after a long cool down. Should be OK.

But I'm getting HP+ after this, damn thing's already squeaky as heck, and I never care about rim cleaning hahahaha...HPS just scares me in ways unimaginable....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 AM
tekk

i dont like hawks. had them on my G (with brembos) and did not like the bite AT ALL. switched to axxis ultimate and have been very happy. the only good thing with hawks i found was the lightbrake dust.

im not sure why this isnt commented on very often. all i can figure is that most people may not drive their cars hard enough to notice.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

My HPS never squeaked much like a lot of others have. I did liberally coat the back with anti-squeak compound, though.

I'll echo what others have said: A lot less dust, maybe slightly less initial bite than stock, last pretty well.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 PM
grudum

Not to jack your thread, but has anyone tried the EBC yellow stuff? I've read a bit on the green and red, but havnt seen any mention of yellow.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/yellowstuffinfo.html

I'm in the market to replace my stock rears, and these looked appealing. I've read enough bad posts about Hawk, so I think i'll go a different direction, but havent decided on anything yet. I've still got some time.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Beau

Originally Posted by grudum
Not to jack your thread, but has anyone tried the EBC yellow stuff? I've read a bit on the green and red, but havnt seen any mention of yellow.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/yellowstuffinfo.html

I'm in the market to replace my stock rears, and these looked appealing. I've read enough bad posts about Hawk, so I think i'll go a different direction, but havent decided on anything yet. I've still got some time.

Anyone have any experience with these?
I have a hard time believing that a single pad can have an excellent lifetime, excellent cold braking, excellent hot braking, medium dust AND be trackable. That pad should be in the "Ultimate Brake Pad" thread. The only thing they didn't say is that the pads are quiet also.

I love my Hawk HP+. I'd say the dust is quite heavy, they grip far better than stock both cold and hot, and they are NEARLY up to track duty. With Brembo's or any other BBK they would probably do very well. Eventually they will squeel and the lifetime is only medium at best. But, you don't buy aggressive pads for long life, being quiet, or low dust. The HP+ do what they were designed to do, stop the car fast. The HPS seem to be a "S"treet version to satisfy people who want to have a blingy name like "Hawk" when they talk about their killer cool awesome manly brake pads... while leaving their wheels shiny everyday.

My wheels are dirty far more often than they are clean. It's my daily driver and I drive it hard quite often.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
grudum

I have a hard time believing that a single pad can have an excellent lifetime, excellent cold braking, excellent hot braking, medium dust AND be trackable. That pad should be in the "Ultimate Brake Pad" thread. The only thing they didn't say is that the pads are quiet also.

They must have forgot to mension that this pad will also clean your rims, be silent, add 50% hp gains, and give you road head. lol.

I kinda thought the same thing as you, but i was curious to see if anyone has tried them.

Its possible the marketing department needs a raise.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Beau

I guess brake pad performance is as subjective to the driver as wheel "fitment". Like 18x10 -25mm offset "fits". With a 235mm tire... Not in my opinion it doesn't.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
Many would agree that the Hawk pads are great. From fellow friends who have them, they love them. A little better than stock. I have some sitting in my shop for the last few months, but it hasn't come time to change them. But have been thinking of doing it shortly, even though the stock ones are holding up good. I just want to get a chance to use them before the rotors wear and before I get a BBK.
thanks now i know where i can get a free set of Hawk pads, lol. 5 finga discount foo!!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by Beau

I love my Hawk HP+. I'd say the dust is quite heavy, they grip far better than stock both cold and hot, and they are NEARLY up to track duty. With Brembo's or any other BBK they would probably do very well. Eventually they will squeel and the lifetime is only medium at best. But, you don't buy aggressive pads for long life, being quiet, or low dust. The HP+ do what they were designed to do, stop the car fast. The HPS seem to be a "S"treet version to satisfy people who want to have a blingy name like "Hawk" when they talk about their killer cool awesome manly brake pads... while leaving their wheels shiny everyday.

My wheels are dirty far more often than they are clean. It's my daily driver and I drive it hard quite often.
What he says...

I'm getting HP+ after my lame-taculous HPS runs out. But I have the .850" pads, so it's going to probably take a while, another 2 years? Sigh....

Quick Reply: Opinions on Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads