Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS Hipermax III impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hipermax III impressions?

How do these stack up against the Hipermax II's? Any real noticeable difference? I guess with only a $100 dollar difference I might as well get the III's. Loudness, stiffness, rebound, valving, etc? Ride quality, as well as the crispness of the car?

I'm looking at replacing my current coilovers (JIC-Magic FLT-A2's) with something a little more reasonable for a daily driver (I love my A2's but I've heard very good things about the HKS), so if anyone has any opinions of Hipermax III comparsons with some other ones that would be great. My coils tend to act "edgy" when I push the car and I can feel snap oversteer if I'm not careful.

Yes I did do search and have read all of the HKS vs. Tein vs. JIC vs. Whatever debates. However, there are only like 1-2 threads actually PERTAINING to the Hipermax III.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Z
How do these stack up against the Hipermax II's? Any real noticeable difference? I guess with only a $100 dollar difference I might as well get the III's. Loudness, stiffness, rebound, valving, etc? Ride quality, as well as the crispness of the car?

I'm looking at replacing my current coilovers (JIC-Magic FLT-A2's) with something a little more reasonable for a daily driver (I love my A2's but I've heard very good things about the HKS), so if anyone has any opinions of Hipermax III comparsons with some other ones that would be great. My coils tend to act "edgy" when I push the car and I can feel snap oversteer if I'm not careful.

Yes I did do search and have read all of the HKS vs. Tein vs. JIC vs. Whatever debates. However, there are only like 1-2 threads actually PERTAINING to the Hipermax III.

Thanks

No one has the III's as of yet.

You gain digressive valving vs the Jics, though you also have a slight spring rate bias towards the rear like the Jics as wel, though not as much. I'd try the HKS vs the Jics in a heartbeat. Though from my own testing, I do prefer less rear spring, something that could be fixed by simply ordeirng a set of Eibach ESS springs for the rear.

And in case it might help,
http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/a...asp?a=2647&z=2

Last edited by Gsedan35; 12-05-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Devil Z

What is digressive valving?

I think less spring rate would be nice for me, also considering the huge amount of power I'm putting down. A more comfortable ride quality would be a PLUS, and from reading reviews on the HKS I'm sure it does. (this however is not a big concern, I've dealt with bumpy ride for a long time now).

I need to reduce my dampening in the rear and test some new setups . . .
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Z
What is digressive valving?

I think less spring rate would be nice for me, also considering the huge amount of power I'm putting down. A more comfortable ride quality would be a PLUS, and from reading reviews on the HKS I'm sure it does. (this however is not a big concern, I've dealt with bumpy ride for a long time now).

I need to reduce my dampening in the rear and test some new setups . . .

Think of pro-gressive first. As more is asked of the dampner, it applies more control. Di-gressive is the opposite. As more is asked of the dampner it eases off on it's control rate.

"Digressive valving are essentially the oppostive of progressive valving. As shaft speed increases, damping forces increase at a decreasing rate. Digressive valving works to provide low-speed damping control without being unreasonably harsh on rough surfaces."

It isn't just rear dampning that could use to be reduced. This platform has built in anti squat and anti dive geometry that does not reward high rear spring rate bias that Jic used. Your compromising avaliable traction for corner exit, made worse by higher power levels. I've done my own trail and error testing, I agree with the Unitech race team that did the R&D on my front shocks for Truechoice.

Bumpy ride quality can be a sign that your compromising at the limit grip in steady state and brings up the question about how well your suspension is dealing with other weight transfer issues that tie everything together start to finish.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Advent7

So in English this would mean not only would you have the smoothness of the damper when you hit a bump and it's compressing but when the damper decompresses out it's smooth that way also....???

So does this mean a more compromised ride but with the ability to still handle?

I'm a noob when it comes to suspension so ignore me if I just asked a retarded question.

I'm also really interested in the HKS III and was gonna wait on these to come out before I finally decided on the Cusco Zero 2's