Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Deals Gap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 AM
jperleon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I tucked in behind 3 of what many consider the fastest drivers on that mountain. (Doug, Matt, and Bryan) They lived up to the hype. This clip is from hwy 28. (-Near the dragon, at ZdayZ) I even made a comment on his brakes. "He's got good brakes....better than mine.... I'd better give him some more space."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xPCG4_fuw

Not bad man! but there is always room for improvment! Brakes are good, but as long as I dont have brake fade I dont need a BBK. I've got drilled and slotted rotors up front. Granted stopping power will be available, I'm just looking for momentum threw the turn. Good Video though! love the music!

EAGLETANGGREEN: How long have you had the tein coilovers? which do you end up buying the mono?

Last edited by jperleon; 12-23-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by jperleon
Not bad man! but there is always room for improvment! Brakes are good, but as long as I dont have brake fade I dont need a BBK. I've got drilled and slotted rotors up front. Granted stopping power will be available, I'm just looking for momentum threw the turn. Good Video though! love the music!

EAGLETANGGREEN: How long have you had the tein coilovers? which do you end up buying the mono?

I have had the Tein flex for two years, and they are great road and track.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I tucked in behind 3 of what many consider the fastest drivers on that mountain. (Doug, Matt, and Bryan) They lived up to the hype. This clip is from hwy 28. (-Near the dragon, at ZdayZ) I even made a comment on his brakes. "He's got good brakes....better than mine.... I'd better give him some more space."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xPCG4_fuw
HPDE with a good instructer. You need it .
Old 12-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
HPDE with a good instructer. You need it .
Autocrossing at least two days a month. I'm working on it.

You say that like I am clueless out there. No one who has ever driven with me has come away with that impression. (Street or track)

I run at a track that has a few national trophy winners and they give me advice that, once I master, gets me faster and faster. Some things are harder to master than others, and those are the things that I continue to work on.

BTW: I'm sure if you had been there you would have just left me, and the other three drivers in the dust.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 12-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:18 AM
ZSpectrum

Autocrossing at least two days a month. I'm working on it.

You say that like I am clueless out there. No one who has ever driven with me has come away with that impression. (Street or track)

I run at a track that has a few national trophy winners and they give me advice that, once I master, gets me faster and faster. Some things are easier to master than others, and those are the things that I continue to work on.

BTW: I'm sure if you had been there you would have just left me, and the other three drivers in the dust.
autox and road course driving doesnt transfer, think about it autox= real quick steering inputs hpde doesnt, atleast not in the same way.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 AM
jperleon

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
autox and road course driving doesnt transfer, think about it autox= real quick steering inputs hpde doesnt, atleast not in the same way.

Exactly, thats what makes the dragon so much more challenging. You have the gravity cavities and other dips that "unload" the suspension in the middle of a turn. The only downside is that if you mess up at an auto-x, you hit cones. and if you mess up on the mountain...
Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM
ZSpectrum

Exactly, thats what makes the dragon so much more challenging. You have the gravity cavities and other dips that "unload" the suspension in the middle of a turn. The only downside is that if you mess up at an auto-x, you hit cones. and if you mess up on the mountain...
I was saying autox= nothing like the dragon, the dragon is very similar to a road course, but in some ways more challenging, aka dodging animals motorcycles fat guys on harleys. Hes basically saying learn to drive. I didnt really see anything wrong with your driving, other than some downshifting, but who doesnt fck up occasionally.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 AM
jperleon

I was saying autox= nothing like the dragon, the dragon is very similar to a road course, but in some ways more challenging, aka dodging animals motorcycles fat guys on harleys. Hes basically saying learn to drive. I didnt really see anything wrong with your driving, other than some downshifting, but who doesnt fck up occasionally.

Maybe i'm confused, but that wasn't me in the video. Like I said early though, there is always room for improvement. I'm not saying i'm the best by any means, there is just always more to learn!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 AM
ZSpectrum

Maybe i'm confused, but that wasn't me in the video. Like I said early though, there is always room for improvement. I'm not saying i'm the best by any means, there is just always more to learn!
I was talking to the other guy bro. Ill see you at zdayz though, Ill be the oddball in the white sti.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Our venue is more open than most autocross venues and translate perfectly to the dragon. (From the NC/TN line to the bottom.) Here's an example. This is an average course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYiWbtwvhQ

But others are third gear all the way.. ( I know road courses are faster, but not many autocross courses are all third gear.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBUmur-gzo&feature=user

The road in question was 28 though and didn't have as much tight stuff as the dragon. (But it wasn't too far out of my comfort zone for hard driving.) Some of the surrounding roads from the poker run were pretty high speed and road racers would have felt more at home on those. ( Cherohala Skyway for instance)

But as for the dragon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfViyl2US8I&feature=user

I felt right at home.

BTW: As for the video we are talking about; I only made two mistakes that cost me space/time. One was a false laser alert from my X50 (I let up for a split second and he walked me a bit) The other was a blind turn that he out-nerved me on. (He walked in the straight just after) But despite the mistakes, and less HP, (They all had HP mods and I am stock HP) I was able to close the gap in the turns. Other than that, I wasn't going to be an @$$ and NASCAR his bumper, and I sure wasn't going to attempt to pass under those conditions either.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 12-24-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM
jperleon

Our venue is more open than most autocross venues and translate perfectly to the dragon. (From the NC/TN line to the bottom.) Here's an example. this is an average course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYiWbtwvhQ

But others are third gear all the way.. ( I know road courses are faster, but not many autocross courses are all third gear.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBUmur-gzo&feature=user

The road in question was 28 though and didn't have as much tight stuff as the dragon. (But it wasn't too far out of my comfort zone for hard driving.) Some of the surrounding roads from the poker run were pretty high speed and road racers would have felt more at home on those. ( Cherohala Skyway for instance)

But as for the dragon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfViyl2US8I&feature=user

I felt right at home.

BTW: As for the video we are talking about; I only made two mistakes that cost me space/time. One was a false laser alert from my X50 (I let up for a split second and he walked me a bit) The other was a blind turn that he out-nerved me on. (He walked in the straight just after) But despite the mistakes, and less HP, (They all had HP mods and I am stock HP) I was able to close the gap in the turns. Other than that, I wasn't going to be an @$$ and NASCAR his bumper, and I sure wasn't going to attempt to pass under those conditions either.
Once again not bad bro! (the dragon 2007 vid). At about 1 min and 50 sec, you noticed the dip where your suspension un-loaded! Thats what makes most people wreck. (myself included I almost went off about a month ago). Just knowing the road is the battle! As for third gear, when I'm just crusing threw the gap thats what i'm in. I dont down shift to 2nd. But when i'm running thats when I start to downshift and use less brakes.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 PM
jperleon

I was talking to the other guy bro. Ill see you at zdayz though, Ill be the oddball in the white sti.
Traitor! an STI?haha jk. Those are really nice! You can't beat the AWD. I used to have an Audi A4 I would run in. You should come up for the Subaru rally! If you do, I'd see you there too, I'll be the one in a LeMans Z
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
ke0ki2k

Hotchkis sways are hotchkis sways. Cusco's are a bit overpriced...and by that I mean alot. Cobb's are pretty good, pretty much identical to Hotchkis just a lil more expensive. Lemme know next time ya go up and I'll tag along. Tired of going up with all my FWD buddies, theyre so slow its not even fun to go with em.

I know what youre saying with that suspension unload....scared the hell outta myself a couple times coming out of those corners that kind of go off camber on the exit. had my car pointed the wayyy wrong way a time or two. still here though *knock on wood*

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 01-17-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't think I have seen anyone who can keep up with Bryan, Matthew, and Doug. I tried to keep up with Dougs group 3 years ago and did a little off-roading - DOH!And Bryan has had his car on a 'diet" since last year to the tune of about 300 pounds so he will probably be even faster. Interesting fact - Matthew used to be FI with a built motor, he got rid of the FI and swears he is faster on a road course without it.