Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

03 owners: sagging driver's side springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 07:50 AM
ReelBigAndy

Question 03 owners: sagging driver's side springs?

Thats what they guy at the firestone alignment place suggested as a cause of my left side (f and r) camber being out of spec by a little over 1 degree; not being able to adjust camber, he referred me to the nissan dealer.

Background:
On a long trip I hit a deer carcas with my left side (front and rear wheels) pretty hard dead on. shortly there after (~500 mi) I started hearing the feathering music/growl. I recently put my snows on (~1500 miles ago), and when I took my summers off that had 15kmi on them, sure enough the left front had feathered quite a bit, rear not as much if at all. Given this scenario, I have 2 dilemmas:

1. Is it possible for out-of-spec camber by 1 degree to auidibly feather a tire within 1500 miles of becoming out of spec? What components can I look forward to replacing?

2. If the impact of the deer carcas did not affect my camber, are sagging driver's side springs even possible? Has anyone else heard of this? I don't carry or tow anything, and drive with passenger about 50% of the time.

BTW I have an 03 touring with 45kmi (bought cert. pre-owned @ 30kmi w/ new front rubber)
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:29 AM
ReelBigAndy

Anybody? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I just want to know what to expect.....

For example:
-yeah, the springs sag, get new ones (could do it myself)
or
-no, control arm is bent, bring it in and get raped, etc...
Old 01-07-2008 | 03:49 PM
ReelBigAndy

somebody take a crack at it.
Old 01-07-2008 | 04:47 PM
bbs350z

wel you ahve to take into consideration, theres always a driver in the car, not always a passenger. your driver side should sit just a tad lower. i beleive all z's have a bit of gangsta lean on them. but to idirectly answer your question..i really wouldnt know because ive never ran over a deer cararcass before. and your rear camber suffers from excessive toe in, and that for the most part, you cannot rotate them due to a staggered setup
Old 01-09-2008 | 04:47 AM
ReelBigAndy

Bah ok, looks like I might just have to bring it in and roll with the punches. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen to them, or what I can expect to have replaced.
If the driver side springs were actually sagging, wouldn't:
A. The sway bar work to keep the car level?
B. There be an easy way for me to see if the car was indeed leaning to the left, and check to see if its level?
Old 01-19-2008 | 05:40 PM
Cheezwiz

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
wel you ahve to take into consideration, theres always a driver in the car, not always a passenger. your driver side should sit just a tad lower. i beleive all z's have a bit of gangsta lean on them. but to idirectly answer your question..i really wouldnt know because ive never ran over a deer cararcass before. and your rear camber suffers from excessive toe in, and that for the most part, you cannot rotate them due to a staggered setup
Your camber suffers from excessive toe in? Enlighten me on that statement, please.
Old 01-20-2008 | 01:08 PM
Q45tech

Sway bars have built in slack in the first +-1" of body roll as the rubber mounts and bushings are compressed.................without this slack the ride would be severe and road roughness would be transmitted to body.

What happens when you substitue oem rubber with urethane, prothane, nylon bushings.

Don't confuse free spring stiffness with as installed stiffness. As installed front stiffness may be less than 200 pounds per body roll or bump inch per spring.

Obviously a heavy 200 pounder is higher than oem design weight of 155 pounds per seat.
Since front seats are near C of G divide by 2 so a 200 pounder will drop front driverside clearence by ~~1/2".

Last edited by Q45tech; 01-20-2008 at 01:17 PM.