Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW Varient 3: Did I make the right choice???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
mforrest100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW Varient 3: Did I make the right choice???

Just want to get some feedback on these things before I install. I purchased these with a little under a 1000 miles on them from a sponsor in my350z.com which had them on there show car. Anyway, I did a lot of research on coilovers before I purchased and I decided to get these since I heard great feedback from people in a lot of threads. So 2 months later, I start thinking about it and searching more suspension threads and start to wonder if I over did it. Here are the facts:

- I own a 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - Sports Model
- Purchased a set of Iforged Daytonas - 20" to ride on.
- Plan to drop maybe 1.75-2" in the front and 1.5" in the back.
- This is not a daily driver and mainly only sees 2 days of weekend action in
the street. Owned it since last April and only put 4000 miles on it.
- I wanted a coilover that was going to give me the best ride and a good
handling. But more for the ride quality as I live in New York.
- I will not be tracking my car at all and don't have any plans to in the future.

From what I was reading, everyone said these things have superb ride quality which is the reason I purchased but I am wondering if they were talking about to the extent of track use. My question is will I be able to get a comfortable ride out of these? I am considering selling and getting a set of Tein Comfort Sports or even HKS Hypermax LS coilovers. I really just want a suspension that will get me to as close a stock ride as possible with a drop.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I know they are suppost to be great for the track , and would consider than major overkill for anyone who doesnt track there car.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've made a right choice. KW Variant 3s are one of the most streetable coilovers out there, and their quality is top notch as well. KW, like other German suspension companies, focuses on touring/comfort. Variant 3s will be fine on your ride.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mforrest100
Just want to get some feedback on these things before I install. I purchased these with a little under a 1000 miles on them from a sponsor in my350z.com which had them on there show car. Anyway, I did a lot of research on coilovers before I purchased and I decided to get these since I heard great feedback from people in a lot of threads. So 2 months later, I start thinking about it and searching more suspension threads and start to wonder if I over did it. Here are the facts:

- I own a 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - Sports Model
- Purchased a set of Iforged Daytonas - 20" to ride on.
- Plan to drop maybe 1.75-2" in the front and 1.5" in the back.
- This is not a daily driver and mainly only sees 2 days of weekend action in
the street. Owned it since last April and only put 4000 miles on it.
- I wanted a coilover that was going to give me the best ride and a good
handling. But more for the ride quality as I live in New York.
- I will not be tracking my car at all and don't have any plans to in the future.

From what I was reading, everyone said these things have superb ride quality which is the reason I purchased but I am wondering if they were talking about to the extent of track use. My question is will I be able to get a comfortable ride out of these? I am considering selling and getting a set of Tein Comfort Sports or even HKS Hypermax LS coilovers. I really just want a suspension that will get me to as close a stock ride as possible with a drop.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike
1. Unlike some products, I see ZERO conflict with the spring rate specs on the KW product. Even though it's use of progressive springs is not the sort of thing that belongs on a track, in your case it works in your favor.

2. Ride quality. Front and center what this community is not going to get is that your sedans oem ride quality is NOT as firm as any oem Z, ESPECIALLY vs 2003/2004 oem Z's. As well liked as the KW is among owners, I see reason to supect that vs dedicated coilovers where mission one is ride comfort, you are better off with the Tein CS.

3. Ride height. The G35 sedan does NOT have the same oem ride height as a 350Z. Any spring or coilover used on the car ment for the 350Z will see a additional drop amount of 1". Since KW's published drop specs for 350Z show's -.8" to -1.5" front and rear, your sedan will have a -1.8" to -2.5" ride height range. Tien CS on the sedan has a drop range of Front: -.6" to -3.5" and Rear: -.3" to -2.2"

4.. Something else to consider. The KW variant 3 is double adjustable where compression and rebound are each adusted seperate from one another. This is not a easy set and forgot system. Setting them right is not the same as setting them and THINKING you set them correctly. It's far to easy to adjust them wrong and suffer deminised returns and never know any better. It's a nice thing to have, providing you can sense when a change is productive, and when it is not. My front shocks have that type of adjustment system.

Just to say it, IIRC HKS no longer makes the LS, it has been replaced with a Hypermax III where thier are two versions, one comfort the other sport.

IMO, I would weigh the cost of selling what you bought vs the cost of getting Tein CS. You can try the KW's out, keep your install/uninstall costs in mind (if your not installing yourself that is).
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
1. Unlike some products, I see ZERO conflict with the spring rate specs on the KW product. Even though it's use of progressive springs is not the sort of thing that belongs on a track, in your case it works in your favor.

2. Ride quality. Front and center what this community is not going to get is that your sedans oem ride quality is NOT as firm as any oem Z, ESPECIALLY vs 2003/2004 oem Z's. As well liked as the KW is among owners, I see reason to supect that vs dedicated coilovers where mission one is ride comfort, you are better off with the Tein CS.

3. Ride height. The G35 sedan does NOT have the same oem ride height as a 350Z. Any spring or coilover used on the car ment for the 350Z will see a additional drop amount of 1". Since KW's published drop specs for 350Z show's -.8" to -1.5" front and rear, your sedan will have a -1.8" to -2.5" ride height range. Tien CS on the sedan has a drop range of Front: -.6" to -3.5" and Rear: -.3" to -2.2"

4.. Something else to consider. The KW variant 3 is double adjustable where compression and rebound are each adusted seperate from one another. This is not a easy set and forgot system. Setting them right is not the same as setting them and THINKING you set them correctly. It's far to easy to adjust them wrong and suffer deminised returns and never know any better. It's a nice thing to have, providing you can sense when a change is productive, and when it is not. My front shocks have that type of adjustment system.

Just to say it, IIRC HKS no longer makes the LS, it has been replaced with a Hypermax III where thier are two versions, one comfort the other sport.

IMO, I would weigh the cost of selling what you bought vs the cost of getting Tein CS. You can try the KW's out, keep your install/uninstall costs in mind (if your not installing yourself that is).
+1. It seems like the OP is seeking ride comfort over performance. The KW V3's definitely have a great ride quality, especially cause it retains the factory upper mounts but this coming from a Z owner. A G Sedan has much softer suspension and the KW V3 may not be up to par on what you expect for ride comfort. The V3 does have limitations for track use but it is still awesome to have fun with. I just stiffened my V3's on both compression and rebound and noticed a very drastic difference in the stiffness.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
mforrest100

Ok I see exactly what you guys are saying....but are we taking into consideration that I have the sports package which in turn has the sports suspension. Not sure if you have ever ridden in the Sport Sedan (2005/2006) but its a drastic difference as compared to the regular sedan. My suspension is pretty stiff IMO. At this point...I guess I will install and see what happens. Wish I would have thought of this before. Too much adjustability for someone that doesn't really know what they are doing is a horrible thing. Oh well....

Thanks for the help guys...

Mike
Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Gsedan35

Ok I see exactly what you guys are saying....but are we taking into consideration that I have the sports package which in turn has the sports suspension. Not sure if you have ever ridden in the Sport Sedan (2005/2006) but its a drastic difference as compared to the regular sedan. My suspension is pretty stiff IMO. At this point...I guess I will install and see what happens. Wish I would have thought of this before. Too much adjustability for someone that doesn't really know what they are doing is a horrible thing. Oh well....

Thanks for the help guys...

Mike

"but are we taking into consideration that I have the sports package which in turn has the sports suspension. Not sure if you have ever ridden in the Sport Sedan (2005/2006) but its a drastic difference as compared to the regular sedan. My suspension is pretty stiff "

Rut row, that's not a good sign

My sedan was delivered on the same shocks and springs your senses are calling "pretty stiff", which is ok since everyone is different. I however prefer to say the suspension is barely worthy of the "sport" label, All 350Z shocks are stiffer in comparison.

In case it helps, some numbers.

Your oem spring rates (on mild shocks)
314/342

Kw coilovers Variants 1, 2 and 3
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Old 01-15-2008, 05:42 AM
mforrest100

I guess I will have to play it by ear and see how I like it. I based my purchase off of Andy's review of them as well so I don't know where I got this impression that they were butter soft....(LOL) How are these compared to JIC FLT A2's? I had that on my maxima and to date thats the best suspension I've ever owned saying that just because I have not installed my Variant 3's. Worst case scenario I install and don't like I buy another set and sell these.

"but are we taking into consideration that I have the sports package which in turn has the sports suspension. Not sure if you have ever ridden in the Sport Sedan (2005/2006) but its a drastic difference as compared to the regular sedan. My suspension is pretty stiff "

Rut row, that's not a good sign

My sedan was delivered on the same shocks and springs your senses are calling "pretty stiff", which is ok since everyone is different. I however prefer to say the suspension is barely worthy of the "sport" label, All 350Z shocks are stiffer in comparison.

In case it helps, some numbers.

Your oem spring rates (on mild shocks)
314/342

Kw coilovers Variants 1, 2 and 3
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

little late now, no? (just a joke)

they are really nice coilovers... one friend had a leaking coilover after a few miles but it was replaced (not the easiest to get the warranty, but not terrible either). they are stiff though... but absorb bumps well.

a little complicated with the added adjustability... and most people it's over the top.

Last edited by Motormouth; 01-15-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Gsedan35

I guess I will have to play it by ear and see how I like it. I based my purchase off of Andy's review of them as well so I don't know where I got this impression that they were butter soft....(LOL) How are these compared to JIC FLT A2's? I had that on my maxima and to date thats the best suspension I've ever owned saying that just because I have not installed my Variant 3's. Worst case scenario I install and don't like I buy another set and sell these.
Jic Flta-2 for the Z33 are the polar opposite of "butter soft". If you do make another choice down the line because the KW setup is too firm, pick very carefully or you'll guarantee yourself something even worse.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
rkd350z

I don't know if you can drop the front 1.75-2.00 inches with 20s... I was kinda slammed on 18s and my front tires were scraping on upper A-arm bolt when I was entering the driveway where it requires some suspension travel. I have Stance..

Last edited by rkd350z; 01-15-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by rkd350z
I don't know if you can drop the front 1.75-2.00 inches with 20s... I was kinda slammed on 18s and my front tires were scraping on upper A-arm bolt when I was entering the driveway where it requires some suspension travel. I have Stance..
He has a sedan, a 2" drop on a sedan is only a 1" drop on a Z
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Gsedan35

The sedan has a lot less room in the front for fat tires vs the Z. Hopefully he picked his offests and tire widths correctly so that the tires clear front and rear no matter if the suspension is on the bumpstops or at full extension.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
AWDBall20

yes
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
mforrest100

The sedan has a lot less room in the front for fat tires vs the Z. Hopefully he picked his offests and tire widths correctly so that the tires clear front and rear no matter if the suspension is on the bumpstops or at full extension.
I think I did. I can't remember what the offsets are but I had to order them specifically to fit over the Rotora 14" F/R kit. If you are over on mg35driver.com you will see TTranks BBK kit thread with the Iforged rims. It should fit like those since the purchaser which sold him his rims is where I purchased mine and he was doing a comparison on the offsets to make sure mine fit. Additionally, the tire sizes are 245/35/20 in the front and 275/30/20 in the rear.