Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Advice needed on brakes for track

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 05:05 PM
DougT-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice needed on brakes for track

Hi, Gang!

I've lurked on the forum for about 6 months now. Got my Touring Z 2 days before Christmas and took driving school here in Ohio at Mid-Ohio last week. Used their car for all but 10 laps - the Z just blew away the Acura RSX S-types they were teaching us with. (BTW - the Mid-Ohio High Performance Driving classes are AWESOME!)

Anyway, I've been bitten by the bug and now want to take my Z to the track 1-2 times a year and have some fun. I have to admit that it is also my daily driver and I am too poor to be able to trash it or dedicate it to the track.

My goals (in order) on the track are:
1. Avoid hurting / crashing / trashing the Z. Drive it safely home.
2. Have as much fun as possible.
3. Get better at driving it, since I probably suck.

Given all of this, what should I do about brakes? I have been told, and believe from my measily 10 laps, that the stock Touring brakes will get killed by a day of lapping the track. (For those not in the know, Mid-Ohio has lots of turns and elevation changes. Plenty of opportunity to use the brakes.)

I need my brakes to work well on the street for "normal" driving. I don't really what to squeak up to the stop light. Yet, I want to be able to track without crisping them.

What advice can you give me?
Old 06-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Z-Force

Default up grade ur brake

u can sell urs to me....^^ altezzatypesh@aol.com
Old 06-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes

I've done several schools at Putnam Park and I've used Panther XP's for the fronts and Panther + for the rears. I have also vented my rotors and these pads work great. I've got them from Matt at Carbotech. ( 1-877-899-5024)
Old 06-15-2003, 07:28 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Congrats on enjoying the Z on the track......It is truely AWESOME!

I STRONGLY recommend the StopTeck 13.1 kit along with stainless lines & Panther + pads, with Motul 600 fluid. They also work great on the street.

I put over 2 hours flat out track hours with no fade, on a high braking track with NO problems. I'm on a low budget too but I fell the money was well spent.

The last thing you want to worry about is loosing brakes!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:25 PM
350zroadster

ahh, had similar questions as well.

Would drilling and slotting the brake disc be enough to take onto the track? From what I understand, the brake kits that have more calipers allows it to clamp down more evenly even when heated. And stopping power seems to be comperable as the rotors and brake pads can't be that much larger or else the wheels can't fit. Plus the stock is pretty large to begin with. Seems to me a lot of benefits can come from $500 brake rotor exchange.

I'm especially interested in hearing from Clyde who seemed to go this route of upgrading.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:47 PM
D'oh

I'd also recommend the Stoptech 13.1" front kit.

The stopping distances weren't too much shorter than the stock brakes, but the temps were much less on the front wheels.

Stoptech really seems to have their engineering well in hand, and are not afraid to publish their data. To me that is a very good sign that they are not trying to sell any BS.

You could probably get away with some higher temp pads for the track, and then swap back to street pads for the rest of the time. I've already changed my rear pads, and it probably takes about 1/2 hour or so. It's very easy. Haven't done the fronts yet but that time is quickly approaching.

I personally feel that the stock brakes look a little small up front, and therefore the ricer in me feels the need to go to stoptechs even though 99% of the time I won't need them.

Ah well, the things we do for style.

-D'oh!
Old 06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
BlackZ33

Has anyone compare the Stoptech 13.1 kit with AP 4 piston kit?