Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Ebay fake "gtspec" brace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay fake "gtspec" brace?

Just curious if anyone has ever bought one of these?? I'm tempted to take a chance. Since it has no moving parts, and basically the worst that could happen is a broken weld. Any opinions, suggestions???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...em270208210237
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
GWAPITO69

i think that's the seller I bought a tie bar before... I won't fit... so I suggest don't buy it.. he even won't accept any returns and wont return my email... good thing it's only $30 total....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
duckypower

i would feel better paying for something i know has quality.....you get what you pay for!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
5150DS

For $30 total, I think it's worth a try.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought it and it fits
Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For someone who has some nice parts on their car why wouldn't you just get the real deal GT Spec stuff? Durrrr Glad it fit's though, you got lucky.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by 5150DS
For $30 total, I think it's worth a try.
You should send me your $30. I'll take $hit in a box and send it to you. Same thing.

Originally Posted by huyrua
Bought it and it fits
Wow.. you got lucky.. now lets see if it lasts.. I bet that the first track day it breaks a weld and drags behind you.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by mdracer76
You should send me your $30. I'll take $hit in a box and send it to you. Same thing.

lmao!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
WyattH

Wow.. you got lucky.. now lets see if it lasts.. I bet that the first track day it breaks a weld and drags behind you.
How do you know it's such a POS? Since it's cheap? It's a bar... Yes some welds can suck, but you can get a good bar + good weld for cheap also if you don't feel like getting raped over a brand name.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
jdepe

yeah. why not just buy the "real" thing. i mean thats what i do. just for peace of mind. i feel better when someone asks me what all ive done to my car and the last thing i wanna say is generic tie bar or a knockoff or a knockoff of a knockoff wheel. ya feel me? just my .02
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
NoahzBurnt

i hate to say it but first off the mounting holes are 2 different shapes and sizes and that right there is enough of a deterrent for me. I mean if they don't even have the quality control to make 2 equal szed holes who else knows what can be wrong...for $50 more i'd rather get an authentic piece IMO ( i mean it's not like your are saving a car payment here)

I found this on GTSPEC's website http://www.gtspec.com/index.php?nav=article&id=47
Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

As Noah's saying, guys, we are a large dealer of GT Spec parts. I can tell you from experience in other markets such as brakes, that looks are 100% decieving. We used to dabble in the brake manufactering business, and would do comparrisons prior to production of quality.

We took two rotors, a rotor from NAPA for $15 (for a 5 lug v6 camry) and a Toyota OEM rotor at the dealer for $120 (each, same car). Both looked identical and promised the same thing - similar to the ebay knockoff vs real GT Spec.

When we did a chemical composition breakdown in terms of reverse engineering, we showed that the OEM rotor was about 90-95% steel and 5% scrap metal, while the crap NAPA rotor from Taiwan was 68-75% scrap metal, and the rest steel. Again, both looked identical.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE KNOCKOFF's. This industry holds to heart the term "You get what you pay for".

Good luck guys, and yes, we are a vendor, so this may look Bias, but, after being in business for over 4 years, i stand behind my word 100%
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
06blueZ

Thumbs down

From the GTSPEC site about the fakes:

“Stamped” parts are produced with 1/100<sup>th</sup> of an inch tolerance. (This means 1 out of every 100 BARS manufactured is ONE INCH off from where it is supposed to be.)

wow, thats one hell of a false statement!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattH
How do you know it's such a POS? Since it's cheap? It's a bar... Yes some welds can suck, but you can get a good bar + good weld for cheap also if you don't feel like getting raped over a brand name.
Raped? How about having some tact? The real part from GT Spec is a whopping $89.00. If that difference in price between the "whoknowswhat.com version" and the genuine article causes such dire consequences in your life, then modding is probably the last thing you should be doing. Not to mention the fact that by buying the GT Spec, you support a company that actively supports your Z community, and has introduced many innovative parts for these cars over the past several years.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
mdracer76
Banned

wow.. the price difference is only $50? You have to be pretty cheap not to go with the genuine part...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.. the price difference is only $50? You have to be pretty cheap not to go with the genuine part...
tru dat. GTSPEC FTMFW!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Raped? How about having some tact? The real part from GT Spec is a whopping $89.00. If that difference in price between the "whoknowswhat.com version" and the genuine article causes such dire consequences in your life, then modding is probably the last thing you should be doing. Not to mention the fact that by buying the GT Spec, you support a company that actively supports your Z community, and has introduced many innovative parts for these cars over the past several years.

+1

How could you even consider going cheap on what I call a "life support system" for your car? I t amazes me everyday how people try to short cut product to make a buck. If you dont have the $$$ to mod your car right, then you shouldn't be modding your car at all. I just don't get it when member short cut a few buck to buy a non tested product.
It's like I have been saying all along, the Z is becoming to drop into the "Honda" kids (nothing against Hondas) price range, and with that a demand for fake cheap parts.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
+1

How could you even consider going cheap on what I call a "life support system" for your car? I t amazes me everyday how people try to short cut product to make a buck. If you dont have the $$$ to mod your car right, then you shouldn't be modding your car at all. I just don't get it when member short cut a few buck to buy a non tested product.
It's like I have been saying all along, the Z is becoming to drop into the "Honda" kids (nothing against Hondas) price range, and with that a demand for fake cheap parts.
one reason of why we are getting out of the honda market. They want ebay price matches for products that are fake... aka fake exedy clutches are my favorite. I have an S2000 myself, so I still cant hate.

Eddie
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
WyattH

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Didn't know the real bar was only $90 or that they were a vendor on the board... So I take that back. Regardless, my original post somewhat remains as it was directed at jut this piece.

For only $90, I would go with the real one.

But .. I am pretty sure.. that 1/100th inch tolerance does NOT mean 1 out of 100 are an inch off.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
halfass872

Wow didn't mean for this to become a ***** session. LOL Good info though!!

Quick Reply: Ebay fake "gtspec" brace?