Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best pad/rotor set up for minimal dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
travism30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best pad/rotor set up for minimal dust

I looked around and am still a little confused. Can a worn rotor result in increased brake dust? i have non-brembo OEM brakes. I dont think my rotors are bad, i have 38k miles on the rotors and i can feel a small ridge on the very outside of the rotor, the ridges are minimal. I just replaced my pads with ceramic pads from advanced auto.(i forget the name brand) I detailed my car at work and then when i got home (10 miles) i could see a moderate amount of brake dust on the rims. So i am guessing their is a problem somewhere and all i could come up with is bad brake pads and if need be at all i would purchase new rotors. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
WyattH

A non-slotted rotor should have no chance on dust.
A slotted/drilled rotor might increase dust a little bit, or at least where pads faster.
If you have a "dustless" pad, it wont matter - still no dust I assume.

If you want good street pads, read the threads on the first page about EBC yellow/red stuff.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

get the r1concepts street pads. they are inexpensive good quality, good bite, very little dust.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Justinw1313

The dust is caused by your brake pads construction and material. I had brand new OEM Nissan pads on my Z and took them off because they squeeled and brake dust would make a pot head cough. I tried some Hawk HPS pads and I enjoy driving with them. They are silent so far, and brake dust is minimal. Ive heard people complain that if you autocross they fade worse than others, but for daily driving and street racing they will do the job.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Justinw1313
The dust is caused by your brake pads construction and material. I had brand new OEM Nissan pads on my Z and took them off because they squeeled and brake dust would make a pot head cough. I tried some Hawk HPS pads and I enjoy driving with them. They are silent so far, and brake dust is minimal. Ive heard people complain that if you autocross they fade worse than others, but for daily driving and street racing they will do the job.
Street racing?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 PM
ih8thegaytriots

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Street racing?

here come the flames.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinw1313
hawks suck in cold and wet weather.. good thing you live in texas.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Moroccan_Mole

i have the endless concept a fronts and ssm rears. these things bite nicely for street pads and barely dust at all; the dust that is produced is more granular than dusty (if that makes sense?) and is easily wiped off.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

I have seen good reviews for the Nismo R pads, think I am going to go with them when the time comes.