Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein or HKS coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:01 AM
space_audio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS coilovers

Hey, anybody know if the HKS hypermax II coilovers have the dampening adjustment on top or on the bottom. That is, do I have to get to the top of the unit (a pain for the rear suspension) to change the dampening rate? Then we would not really need the Tein remote thing. I think DMC makes coilovers like this - but I hear they're not so good.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HKS coilovers

Originally posted by space_audio
Hey, anybody know if the HKS hypermax II coilovers have the dampening adjustment on top or on the bottom. That is, do I have to get to the top of the unit (a pain for the rear suspension) to change the dampening rate? Then we would not really need the Tein remote thing. I think DMC makes coilovers like this - but I hear they're not so good.
The fronts are adjusted on top (you can access when you pop your hood) and the rears are adjusted on bottom (if you have open spokes you can reach through and adjust)

Wow, this thread was revived from the dead!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:00 AM
spf4000

Default Re: Re: HKS coilovers

Originally posted by ___DJK___
The fronts are adjusted on top (you can access when you pop your hood) and the rears are adjusted on bottom (if you have open spokes you can reach through and adjust)

Wow, this thread was revived from the dead!
Although you can reach through the spokes to adjust the rear shocks, it's very hard to do after runs as the brakes get very hot.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:14 AM
space_audio

Default HKS coilovers

Ah ha! I knew there was a quality coilover out there that has a relatively easy manual dampening adjustment.

Now, to anybody that has HKS hypermax II: Is the pillow-ball mount "noisy" like the old Tein Flex??

I have not read a review of the newer model Tein's. I heard from Jacky at Tein that a hard rubber upper mount is available but I think this only works for the basic and type-cs.

I bet, that for the same price the HKS hypermax is a better quality and better handling coilover than the Tein. Remember that pesky EDC system takes hours to install (read hundreds of $) and besides it seems like everybody has one. Can anybody back this up?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 AM
spf4000

The front dampers make absolutely no noise whatsoever. The rear dampers make a bit of a sqeaking noise when you go over bumps, but it's not that annoying. I'm guessing it will go away after a bit of use. But there's definitely no "clunking" noise from the springs that you get with some other coilover suspension systems.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by spf4000
The front dampers make absolutely no noise whatsoever. The rear dampers make a bit of a sqeaking noise when you go over bumps, but it's not that annoying. I'm guessing it will go away after a bit of use
i don't see how it can get less noisy over time....i would think the opposite

the hks makes no noise at all and is a great setup...i have the ls+ and i am very happy. the ride is not harsh, its easy to adjust both front and rear dampners, and the performance is outstanding