Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear Axle Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
No worries. That was strange though, every word was started with a cap. Never seen that before. You can hit this with your blackberry? How does it look on a smartphone?
Wow originally I think it was all caps. Cause why would I write n click caps for every first letter seems kind of a waste of time. Idk but as far as it lookin its cool it looks like the site but smaller n condensed. U pretty much get access to evertything. Except videos. Which sucks if ur lookin for exhaust n find one wit sound bytes. But I pretty much use it at work all day as I'm a plumber n out in the city all day doin nothing..uh I mean working! Lol. I check the forum out all day its interesting.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Rowlett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Just to clarify, the clicking sound the OP and most of us are referring to has nothing to do with LSD or VDC or TCS or the tires slipping. It is the rear axle (which doesn't switch off ). It clicks loudly when you start to move forward or backward or you shift, even if the car is sitting still. It is due to a lack of lubrication in the rear axle on tons of 350's out of the factory. It is covered for free by the dealership. if they won't do it, call Nissan Consumer Affairs. My 06 was clicking very loudly and it was covered free of charge.

So is there a way of fixing this problem your self... I know its Nissans Fault, but if many are having issues getting it done for free of charge I'd rather not go through the hassel...

I did take my car up to Nissan once and i got the same response as others got, "No warrnty, No fix"... I know its BS... But im pretty hands on...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Shadrackc

For sound bites best bet is UTube I think. There seems to be a lot of exhaust sounds on there. Now personally, I love the way the FI Intimidator looks and sounds.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
FORZWIN

I just went to have this done, 2003 w/ 44k still under warranty and the dealer refused service. They said it was out of the specified date range for the TSB. Which I'm finding out is a common answer when I take my Z in for service...it's still under warranty but somehow it's too late???

I did manage to get a copy of the TSB with the work instructions from Nissan, I'll see about posting those up.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowlett
So is there a way of fixing this problem your self... I know its Nissans Fault, but if many are having issues getting it done for free of charge I'd rather not go through the hassel...

I did take my car up to Nissan once and i got the same response as others got, "No warrnty, No fix"... I know its BS... But im pretty hands on...
I would guess that it is not difficult to do yourself, but I don't know the details of how to do so.

Anyone???
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
Please turn OFF the capital letters. Thanks.
I can't believe you have 23,000+ posts and no itrader. It must be a record or something.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 AM
airsoftluver

my 2006 350z has this problem too. I never noticed it untill i turned off the radio and drove down a small street. It only happens when the car first begins to move(forward/reverse) but if i take off slow it doesnt happen.

How much do you think it would be to get this problem repaired?

Im out of warranty(62k on the odometer).
Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its simple the stealership don't want any part of that cause it wasn't a recall. If u bought ur car new n ***** about it they will fix it. I had my tranny swapped undert warranty. They even gave me a new clutch. I was so thrilled I bought the service manager a bottle of his favorite rum. Like they did right by me. I asked him wats up wit the rear he gave me some shyt on the tsb n said he's not required to do it or some thing steering me away from him doin it. The car was still under warranty cause they were doin the tranny. He printed out the service bulletin and parts list a pat on the *** and said good luck pal! To top it off he only changed the clutch disk n left the black spotted pressure plate. Not a very nice guy. So I said fack this n went got the parts n did it. I have to look for the servicer papers. N see if I can post it. Once I changed this the noise was gone. It consists of 16 bolts washers n nuts or so. N some grease called molykote pullin axles n all. If ur car is out of warranty ask them to atleast print up the parts list and they even give u the instuctions on how to do it n the time it should take u. G. L.

Last edited by 350zion; 05-08-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 AM
jjashik18

so is it bad if you dont fix it? i too am really annoyed of the sound and i would like to know if its possible to fix yourself.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:22 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
I would guess that it is not difficult to do yourself, but I don't know the details of how to do so.

Anyone???
Ummm…you think the instructions might be in the service bulletin?

Last edited by davidv; 05-09-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
mrg1981

Ummm…you think the instructions might be in the service bulletin?
Hey, I was answering someone else's question about how to do it. I had mine done at the dealership about 1 year ago. Look at the post I quoted. Maybe you'll feel inclined to understand what you read before posting obnoxiously trite remarks in the future.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
m3inaz

Anyone still getting this fixed under tsb or warranty? I cant get ahold of a ****ing person at nissan by my house to even get an apt.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by m3inaz
Anyone still getting this fixed under tsb or warranty? I cant get ahold of a ****ing person at nissan by my house to even get an apt.
Call Perry or Kelly (service advisers) at Superstition Springs Earnhardt. I don't love the dealership, but they know about the issue and fixed it on my Z. I'd ask for Kelly first. 480-981-3331, option 5, 2, 3 (IIRC).
Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
skr00ball

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
I had the same issue 2 years ago and had it corrected at my local dealer. I have an 05 and they gave me no issues, plus i was running Nismo suspension. I would assume since 2005 models were not listed on the original TSB when i had mine done, you would be covered as well, but it never hurts to ask them if this is a free fix on 06 models... they have revised this TSB a few times. Here is a link to the actual fix:

http://www.snizzap.com/images/350Z-C...e-Bulletin.pdf
I have been having the same problem. Isn't this the link everyone is asking for? It has been here the whole time.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
mikeycatch07

i just set up an appointment with nissan becuase i live on base and everytime i go through the gate i hear it and even the guards have said something to me. so i will let you all know how my appointment with nissan goes on tuesday.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
2ndname

I think my 03 is also doing this clicking noise. My g/f noticed it today.
How bad is it if I don't get it taken care of asap?

The car is out of warranty but only has 46K miles on it. Would the TSB cover it still or do I have to pay to get this fixed?

Advise?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by 2ndname
I think my 03 is also doing this clicking noise. My g/f noticed it today.
How bad is it if I don't get it taken care of asap?

The car is out of warranty but only has 46K miles on it. Would the TSB cover it still or do I have to pay to get this fixed?

Advise?
No drive train warranty? Its on your dime.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM
2ndname

How can I tell if the car still has it's drive train warranty?
I purchased this car used just recently.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by 2ndname
How can I tell if the car still has it's drive train warranty?
I purchased this car used just recently.
60 months from date placed in service

or

60,000 miles

whichever comes first.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
2ndname

60 months from date placed in service

or

60,000 miles

whichever comes first.
Crap. Expired 2 months ago...

So how bad is this issue if you don't get it fixed?
Does it eventually break or something?

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Clicking