Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo rotor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:29 AM
aggiez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo rotor replacement?

I'm entertaining the idea, if it is even possible. Ideally, I would like to get larger brake rotors only that fit with the Brembo calipers.

Let me know if this would even work....
Old 07-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Akira

I don't know about bigger rotors, but I know Stillen has replacement rotors for Track models.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:49 PM
aggiez

Originally posted by Akira
I don't know about bigger rotors, but I know Stillen has replacement rotors for Track models.
er....bigger/replacement, I confuse myself all the time.

Replacements with maybe slots, or cross drills would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Zrated

Those rotors are sweet!, but TOO damn expensive.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 AM
aggiez

Do you know of any other options I have, I knew anything from Stillen would cost me an arm and a leg...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by aggiez
Do you know of any other options I have, I knew anything from Stillen would cost me an arm and a leg...
and a headache.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:59 PM
archman350z

I've already contacted Brembo about this subject. They said they didn't have anything for the Track (even though they had HUGE 355mm kits for all the other 350Zs). I was looking for slotted replacements, since slotted (not drilled) rotors work awesome on track-days. They said to check back in 6 months cause they got something brewin'. It's all based on demand, so drop them a line...if enough of us whine, they'll make it!!
http://www.brembo.com/contactus.htm
Old 07-31-2003, 04:42 PM
350on19inchVolk

Originally posted by archman350z
I've already contacted Brembo about this subject. They said they didn't have anything for the Track (even though they had HUGE 355mm kits for all the other 350Zs). http://www.brembo.com/contactus.htm
Arch,

Brembo just released those rotors this week. They now have replacment Cross-Drilled rotors for the Track Models. Also for the G35 Coupe 6-speed.

Retail for the front is $439 pair
Retail for the rear is $419 pair.

This pricing is cheaper than the dealer for the smooth rotors. Plus these come directly from Brembo drilled and cadmium plated. You dont even have to worry about cracking because these are done correctly from Brembo, not some machine shop on blank discs.

Smithtown Nissan has a huge shipment of these coming in next week. Call Dan Ziegler @ (631) 774-4140.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:51 AM
DavidD

Default Awesome

That sounds great. I was holding on mods for now but drilled rotors for the track model Brembo’s sounds great. Were is Smithtown Nissan?
Old 08-01-2003, 01:32 AM
MY350Z.COM

Default Re: Awesome

Originally posted by DavidD
That sounds great. I was holding on mods for now but drilled rotors for the track model Brembo’s sounds great. Were is Smithtown Nissan?
NY, i'm calling em tomorrow
Old 08-01-2003, 03:51 AM
DavidD

Default Cretin

Cretin you are the postmaster.

What type of car do you have?

And remember once a cretin always a cretin!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:52 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already contacted Brembo about this subject. They said they didn't have anything for the Track (even though they had HUGE 355mm kits for all the other 350Zs). I was looking for slotted replacements, since slotted (not drilled) rotors work awesome on track-days. They said to check back in 6 months cause they got something brewin'. It's all based on demand, so drop them a line...if enough of us whine, they'll make it!!
http://www.brembo.com/contactus.htm
Hey Archman... I see you've made your way over from HT as well.

Awhile back, I had a little dialog with one of the StopTech guys, and I mentioned that there would be a huge market for cross-drilled 2-piece rotors for the OEM Brembos. He mentioned that they were probably going to entertain that idea, but I have never followed up with him, so I don't know if anything is in the works as well.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:33 AM
350on19inchVolk

John & Arch,

Brembo also has toyed with the idea of 2pc replacment rotors for the track model Brembos. The front is possible but the rear is not. The rear Brembo calipers is designed around a really thin disc(I believe its about 18mm). There is no 2pc outer rotor that is that thin.

The best combination I can think of is a Brembo front kit, 13.1" or 14", with the track model rear brakes w/ cross-drilled rotors. SmithTown Nissan actually will have rear track calipers available in Red, Black , or Silver so they match the front Brembo Big Kit.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:44 PM
archman350z

Originally posted by John
Hey Archman... I see you've made your way over from HT as well.

Awhile back, I had a little dialog with one of the StopTech guys, and I mentioned that there would be a huge market for cross-drilled 2-piece rotors for the OEM Brembos. He mentioned that they were probably going to entertain that idea, but I have never followed up with him, so I don't know if anything is in the works as well.
Yup, I used to be a proud RSX owner. Sometimes I still miss the interior of that car, but it quickly goes away when I light the rear tires in a glory-slide. I still frequent the HT site because it has an excellent racing and tech forum.

350on19, thanks for the info! I'm wondering a bit about the drilled instead of slotted: everywhere on their website they state explicitly that the drilled rotors are only for street applications. Makes me think that even the almighty Brembo has a rough time getting these things to hold up on the track. I might buy a set and check them out...

I would really like to get my hands on the 2-pc versions. These Rays wheels don't have a lot of mass and are very expensive to replace. I'm worried that the heat dumped into them by the brake rotors will cause the clearcoat to flake off. They do get pretty damn hot after a session. The 2-pc should be better at this, plus they should save a bunch of weight. I find it kind of laughable that Nissan went to the extreme of finding one of the lightest 18" wheels only to put huge 13" cast-iron weights on it. That's fine that 2-pc rotors are only for the fronts...the rear brakes should handle slicks with just slotted rotors and good pads (they are only 0.1" smaller diameter than the front after all).

I will continue to whine to Brembo until I get my 2-pc rotors. I don't think it's fair that all the other Z's can get 2pcs and I can't!! So, let's keep bugging them...

The company that contacted me (with the info) says they are the US rep. for Brembo...does anyone know this if this is true? I think I'll send them an email here....
www.racetechnologies.com

Last edited by archman350z; 08-01-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:57 AM
350on19inchVolk

Arch,

I hate to be the one to give bad news, but its a no go on the 2pc rotors. I checked with Stoptech, Brembo and RaceTechnologies. they all had the same answer. Stoptech still says they'll keep trying but the information I got from Brembo and RT makes me nervous. Even if Stoptech comes up with something I would hold off and wait to get some feedback from a few people. No way am I gonna be the Guineau Pig on a StopTech Product.

As far as the drilled goes. It is recommended for street. Not because it cant handle the track abuse but more because it is limited on what tyoe of pads you can use. When people run on track they normally switch to something like a Pagid Orange pad or even as far as Pagid Black. These pads are just too abrasive for a drilled rotor. If you run the correct pad combination you will not have any problems. My suggestion, if you track your car and use track pads, run slotted rotors.

Another small bit of information. Although is very minor, the drilled rotors are lighter than the stock rotors.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:36 AM
bluefish

I am the Distriutor for Racetechologies

We have the replacment BREMBO's comming next week.

OEM size, Drilled or Slotted your choice..

Plus we can have your Callipers painted front and rear RED, Black or Silver...

Lt me know.

Thanks for posting my Cell Number ??

Office is 631-361-9696
Old 08-04-2003, 04:08 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still frequent the HT site because it has an excellent racing and tech forum.
I know, I spoke to you on there a few weeks back.

But back the topic, bluefish, are these rotors cast with the holes already in them? Are you aware of any company that plans to produce 2-piece rotors as OEM Brembo replacements? I'm quite suprised that nobody has planned on developing them yet...

Last edited by John; 08-04-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Jewelz350

Anyone still look for slotted/drilled Brembos can try TireRack. I got the slotted fronts for $373 + shipping.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:55 AM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by Jewelz350
Anyone still look for slotted/drilled Brembos can try TireRack. I got the slotted fronts for $373 + shipping.
what brand?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 AM
350on19inchVolk

Originally posted by John
are these rotors cast with the holes already in them? Are you aware of any company that plans to produce 2-piece rotors as OEM Brembo replacements? I'm quite suprised that nobody has planned on developing them yet...
John,

These are not cast with the holes. Cast in holes are less expensive to manufacture so it keeps the cost low. Cast in holes are more prone to cracks than drilling.

When you cast the holes you are pouring molten metal into a mold. The more obtrusions in the mold the higher the risk of developing air pockets or voids in the disc. For Example, Porsche rotors are known for having the holes cast in. If you examine a Porsche disc you will see that the walls are very thick making the rotor heavy. They have thicker walls to ensue strength because of the inconsistencies in the casting process.

Brembo rotors start with the best casting process in the industry. All of the rotors are x-ray'd to check for voids before being sent out for drilling or slotting. Each rotor has a specific drill pattern. The hole size is determined by the thickness of the walls, and the pattern is determined by the Vein structure (or ventiing). Each rotor is drilled one side at a time (rather than one hole going through the entire rotor) for better strength. Each rotor is then rebalanced then sent to plating.

This is only the case with "True" Brembo Sport rotors. There are alot of companies out there that purchase smooth(blank) Brembo discs and drill them in a machine shop. With out the correct size hole, specific pattern or improper drilling process the rotor will be prone to cracking. If you have doubts about wether you are buying a True Brembo Sort Rotor you can call Brembo at (714) 641-0104 and ask for an authorized dealer in your area.

As for the possibilities of a 2pc rotor replacement. I believe every manufacture has already thought about it. The problem is that the factory calipers (specifically the rear) is designed for a very thin disc. Any high quality 2pc rotor is thicker than the factory disc and will not fit between the caliper. If someone were to produce a thinner outter disc it would be possible but I would worry about quality. I have personally talked to Brembo because they have over 100 different outter discs and they had the same answer.

Buy the Brembo drilled rotors. I know its not much, but they are slightly lighter than the factory rotors because of the holes.

What I did was sell my Track Brakes to my frind with a G35 and purchased a Brembo 13.1" kit. I bought a new Rear Track model kit with red calipers and Brembo cross-drilled rotors. The 13.1" kit fit under my factory wheels(so does the 14"). I sold my factory brakes for $2200, bought the new Brembo's , front and rear for $4100.

For $1900 I saved 7lbs per corner, have 4 red calipers, 2pc rotors front / 1pc cross-drilled rear, and new braided lines. I didn't have to upgrade wheels. And I am over 4 seconds faster per lap at Streets of Willow. AND I have never faded my brakes.

I spent over $3000 on my engine and didn't improve my lap times that much.

Last edited by 350on19inchVolk; 08-29-2003 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Brembo rotor replacement?