Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech pads

anyone heard of them...

are they really worth the moeny
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM
bimmertech

carbotech rules.

i have xp10's in front and xp8's in the rear.

they are squeaky and dusty but they have some serious torque and NEVER fade(at least i haven't got them to fade--3 track days on them).

i use them for daily driving and have no intentions on ever going back to a street pad--had axxis before and they fail to compare.

btw i have an 06 touring.

good group of guys--i just can't say enough positive things about them.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Morris

I track them, and know a lot of other people that do. I run the XP10's up front and the XP8's in the rear for track days. They are very good, and less expensive than some track pads.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Zilvia

hmmm

anyone else?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen this thread? https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/214117-track-pads-database.html
Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 PM
garage-c

I bought XP-10's F/R at Carbotech's reccomendation for my '03 track model. Running 255/40/19F and 285/35/19R rubber. Installing them some time this week in preparation for a two day track event at Texas World Speedway this weekend. I'll post my impressions when I return if this thread is still active...
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you who are using Carbotech pads...

Are you using them on the stock Z/G brakes or an aftermarket BBK? Do you know if Carbotech makes pads compatible with the StopTech BBK's?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0

Are you using them on the stock Z/G brakes or an aftermarket BBK? Do you know if Carbotech makes pads compatible with the StopTech BBK's?
call them up.

they say they will make a pad for anything, i'm sure they have made some for the popular stoptech calipers before.

fwiw i have stock 06 non-brembo brakes

also for you first time carbotech users please follow the bedding in procedure to a T. it is very important you do.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
julian

i have XP8's on my miata. a little too much for street tires but awesome on the track with r-compounds. other turbo miatas are running XP12 in front 10 in back. i would think a 350z with r-compounds would need at least XP12/10
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by bimmertech
call them up.

they say they will make a pad for anything, i'm sure they have made some for the popular stoptech calipers before.

fwiw i have stock 06 non-brembo brakes

also for you first time carbotech users please follow the bedding in procedure to a T. it is very important you do.
Cool. That would be great if they can or do make pads for the StopTech ST-40 and ST-22 calipers.

I noticed on the Carbotech website that the XP10 has an MOT of "in excess of 1650F". But the XP8 lists a temperature range of 200-1350F. No minimum temp was specified for the XP10 in the product description though.

So... I noticed you stated that you daily drive with these pads. Do they really have good initial bite at ambient temps for street driving? Or does it take a stop or two before they really become effective/suitable on the street?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
bimmertech

So... I noticed you stated that you daily drive with these pads. Do they really have good initial bite at ambient temps for street driving? Or does it take a stop or two before they really become effective/suitable on the street?
i was worried about that as well and even questioned danny's recommendation.

they have more initial bite than any other pad i have ever used.

the reason they might not be great for street driving(besides noise/dust) is they can be too grabby for street tires when cold. once they warm up they "relax" a little bit and settle into a very predictable pedal.

like i said earlier they generate a lot of torque and can simply over power a tire--if you do not choose compounds properly.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by bimmertech
i was worried about that as well and even questioned danny's recommendation.

they have more initial bite than any other pad i have ever used.

the reason they might not be great for street driving(besides noise/dust) is they can be too grabby for street tires when cold. once they warm up they "relax" a little bit and settle into a very predictable pedal.

like i said earlier they generate a lot of torque and can simply over power a tire--if you do not choose compounds properly.
Hmm... I like the idea of not having to switch out pads for the track, even if I have to endure some added noise and dust. I was initially considering the BHP XPS pads for when I get my StopTech BBK. But that pad has since been discontinued. Based on what I've read in this thread the XP10 pad seems potentially even more versatile.

So it sounds like careful application of the brake pedal is the key (kinda like learning to ease the throttle pedal with a potent FI setup) to braking well on street tires with these pads. Besides... I live in Phoenix. Tires don't get very cold around here on asphalt, LOL! What tires are you running on the street for daily driving then?

I have Bridgestone RE050A's (255/35-19 front & 305/30-19 rear) right now for my street setup, which is one of the grippier max performance street tires out there, IMO (140 A A ratings). I plan on changing to the Toyo R888 at the rear when I wear those out. I'll probably keep the RE050A or PS2 at the front, since the R888 is not available yet in a suitable 19" size for my front fitment. Ya think that either of these tire setups combined with the warm AZ temps should be fine combined with the XP10?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 06-02-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 AM
julian

hey, if you can afford to run r-compounds on the street then go for it. i probably wouldn't mix street tires on the front and race tires on the rear though.

my cold brake applications feel like a normal street pad. i get a litle bit of squeaking but not like the grinding i've heard from hawk HP+. when the pads warm up that's when i have to modulate the brake pedal or else i'll lock up the tires. you'll be fine with XP8's through 12's. if you're not going to track your car AX6's will be fine too.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
bimmertech

What tires are you running on the street for daily driving then?

I have Bridgestone RE050A's (255/35-19 front & 305/30-19 rear) right now for my street setup,

i use 255/40/18 azenis rt615's for daily(don't really daily it though) and track use. i am not a big fan of changing brakes/wheels/tires all the time. i prefer to just drive to the track, beat the hell out of my car, then drive home and do the maintenance later.

i don't think i am qualified to give you a setup recommendation, but i'm sure if you give carbotech a call they will be more than happy to discuss it with you. my guess is they will say xp10's if you do not have r-comps.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run XP-10 front and rear on a 06 Grand Touring, and do street driving with them, But I do at least one track day per month.............they work fine as street pads in this environment.

Note: I have a DD, so the Z doesn't get driven too much on the street...I have a lot of camber that eats street tires, but great on the track!

The XP10 work GREAT on the track, and are ok for street. But I don't recommend folks running these as day-to-day pads unless you track a bunch...and are too LaZe to change the pads/rotors every couple of weekends....

But I love them! Highly recommended for track days!

Last edited by laze1; 06-09-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Morris

I am running them on the stock Brembo calipers, buit a friend of mine is using them on the Stop Tech kit on his G.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Well, I finally called Carbotech and spoke with Mike Jr. He was very helpful.

I ordered a set of XP10 front & rear for my '06 non-Brembo G. I intend to post my review of them once I get some time behind the wheel on both the street and the track.

And for the record... They do make pads for the StopTech BBK's as well. If I'm satisfied with the XP10 on my stock brakes, I will certainly get these pads when I upgrade to a StopTech BBK.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I finally called Carbotech and spoke with Mike Jr. He was very helpful.

I ordered a set of XP10 front & rear for my '06 non-Brembo G. I intend to post my review of them once I get some time behind the wheel on both the street and the track.

And for the record... They do make pads for the StopTech BBK's as well. If I'm satisfied with the XP10 on my stock brakes, I will certainly get these pads when I upgrade to a StopTech BBK.

Keep us updated, need some new pads for the street/track. Heard alot of good thing about the company.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by mw9
Keep us updated, need some new pads for the street/track. Heard alot of good thing about the company.
Will do. My G is still at Intense. The build isn't done yet. I hope to have the car back within the next couple months.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will do. My G is still at Intense. The build isn't done yet. I hope to have the car back within the next couple months.
where did you buy them from, thanks.

Quick Reply: Carbotech pads