Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Impressions of RSR coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
turismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions of RSR coilovers?

I searched, but couldnt find but one review(short to say the least). These look like very promising coilovers that are put together well. Anyone have thoughts on these? Im torn between Jic, HKS, Stance and RSR. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turismo
I searched, but couldnt find but one review(short to say the least). These look like very promising coilovers that are put together well. Anyone have thoughts on these? Im torn between Jic, HKS, Stance and RSR. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Their is only one known review that I know of and that is buried in the vendor's long sale thread in the marketplace. Don't know if it's corrupted by paying to pay the vendor back for a deal or not, be your own judge.

As far as Jic, cross that option off your list. IMO, invest in the HKS III or Cusco Zero2. Why have you ruled out the Bilstein Pss9?

The following is a repost.

I've been here since mid 2003 and I've sponged up alot of information from posts dating all the way back to 2003, sometimes I recall posts done that for whatever reason cannot be found in the data base. Because of that, I would never buy Jic coilovers based on valving, reliablity, warranty coverage, and a lack of customer service.

Here's a post I did a few months ago that is on topic. Show's you Jic owner comments.

I didn't write any of the following.

Originally Posted by azrael
for those people out there with JIC FLT-A2 coilovers on their Z --

how is the ride? Stiffness isn't a problem, but a harsh ride would probably bother me. The stock suspension's tendency to "bounce" is somewhat harsh. I'm hoping to improve the handling and fix the bounce simultaneously with a coilover install.
Originally Posted by John
If you get the linear setup, the car will still have a pretty jarring ride. The rebound is adjustable on the ground...
Originally Posted by azrael
even on full soft?

hm, that's somewhat disappointing. I might have to talk to a few other people with FLT-A2s on other cars just to compare experiences before I make a decision.

I have mine on full soft all the time (except when at the track), and on DC roads, it's pretty friggin harsh. Once I get out of the urban areas, the roads are smooth enough where I don't notice the stiffness. What are the roads like in your area? Are there lots of potholes, buckles, et cetera?
JICs are trash, with high spring rates to mask poor valving. Lots of rattles, awful US customer support, overheating, and quite vulnerable to leaking. They've performed mediocre on track the past two years... and their ride on the street is taxing...
Originally Posted by daveh
Agree with everything John said about the JIC's (but tell us how you really feel ). I can vouch for the unitech/truechoice setup. You can't go wrong with a kit developed and tuned by a winning grand-am cup team. The spring rates and shock valving were derived from their race car!
I just tracked it yesterday at thunderhill and knocked about 4 seconds off my time. Their use of mild spring rates really soaks up the bumps which ultimately allows you to go faster. The shock adjustments really make a difference too. You can feel the difference of just one click. I'll write a full review when I have the time.
Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
I agree DMAN!!! jic aint that great. Zeals on the other hand is awesome...
=)

I loved the zeals on my car. on the street it was 2 front and 3 rear and to this day i regret selling them because stock is worse than the zeals were

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah the JIC's seem to have the most sacrifices for daily driven, and I've read about their poor customer service. If they do overheat though, I'll skip them for sure. I'd think with the track oriented reputation they have, if they overheat then they're not very well engineered since their goal is all out performance.

The HKS's spring weights seem more neutral while the Zeal's is stiffer in front and looser in back. How would those compare?

I definetly want something track oriented/heavy duty, and well balanced. The HKS is less money, but I'm getting the impression they're more street oriented than track.

Originally Posted by DmanG281
After about a year and a half my JICs pretty much started to fall apart. The finish on the springs started stripping off and the collars started rusting. Not to mention the damping on them was horrible little to no difference between full stiff and full soft. It didn't really matter anyways because the damper adjustment froze on them anyway. I will never ever buy another JIC suspension product ever.
Originally Posted by all star gene
You won't regret it if you get those, I had the JIC FLT-A2's for about 500 miles and I hated every mile. They ride way too stiff for everyday but those HKS RS's are close to a stock ride. Check the vendor classifieds for Injected Performance, I got mine from there for $1400 shipped.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I have the Zero 2 on mine, and we have done a few of them so far - definately a nice setup overall, and much less choppy on the street than the JIC's were.

I have driven 2 Z's so far with Zero 2's on the track, but not my own car yet.

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
The JICs HURT...

Unless you're into a VERY rough ride, do not get them...

However, the first corner or track day you attend... you'll quickly remember why you put up with that roughness!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Gsedan35

To add to my post above on the Jics,

Originally Posted by n1cK!
Gsedan35's quotes are pretty much spot on when it comes to JIC's. i have a set and they have a very harsh ride! but that's to be expected with 10k front and 12k rear. (i have a G by the way, but the springs that i got are for the Z. however, you could change the springs, front and rear to another rate if you want).

i just got them, so i can't say whether or not they overheat, but if they have to be rebuilt every two years i wouldn't really "notice" as the car will see lots more track time and a lot less street time, so it'll be a good idea to get them rebuilt in that time span. i definitely didn't buy them to be comfortable, but their main office is about 40 minutes from me so if i needed something rebuilt, i would just go there to drop off/pick-up.

as far as your three "problems," which spring rates did you get? the 12k will drop quickly and be pretty jarring over a speedbump, but the 10k isn't that bad. maybe they installed the 12k's up front and the 10's in the back...

as far as your steering wheel shaking, did you have the car aligned? maybe there's a big difference in ride height (between right and left front)?

and lastly, the shaking that you feel on freeway breaks...unfortunately, that's "normal."

nick! and G35sedan are absolutely spot on

comfortable and JIC do not peacefully co-exist...they are absolutely not comfortable.

as far as "needs to be rebuilt every 2 years", I can't say for sure. Like anything else, it depends on the conditions they are subject to.

As far as your specific problems, some suggestions

1. find out exactly what spring rate you have up front. I think JIC stampes them with a white marking that will say the rate - don't quote me on this though. I'm assuming the car was fine over speed bumps, etc before the coilovers, so we can rule out tires/pressure. Spend some time playing with valving. Also, take note of the preload on the front springs. This will tell you if they were installed properly or not. You should have a minimal amount of preload on your front springs.

2. This could very well be the result of poor camber/toe. Again, I'm assuming the car didn't exhibit this before you installed the coilovers. Did you get the car aligned after you installed the coilovers? Post the results if you do. If not, get yourself some adjustable front a arms and an SPC rear kit, have them installed and get a real alignment done...this should resolve that issue at least

3. Not sure what you can do about this, as you are now the owner of one of the harshest coilovers out there. But, all is not lost. Assuming you got a good deal, you can buy lower weight springs and have JIC revalve them to suit.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
turismo

Thanx for the repsonses.

Ill look into the Bilsteins.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
turismo

I bit the bullet and went with Stance.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
brigz

I bit the bullet and went with Stance.
good choice. I dont track my car but on the street they feel great and respond well.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by brigz
good choice. I dont track my car but on the street they feel great and respond well.
Do you have the pro? Do you have any regrets? Thanx
Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Gsedan35

Adam drove a car that showed up at his shop that had the Stance coilovers on, here's what he had to say about how they were. Follow along, kind of a play by play copy and paste from a thread done last year, starts out with Scott's post.

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
+100000 Stance is the near perfect choice for you guys who are street driven and still want to do an ocasional track day.

The set I drove had among the worst street manners I've ever felt on a Z, at least on our local roads - and -1 for non OE rear spring location (IMHO - but it's a major faux pas in my book). Of course, this car was dropped on the ground, but was still using street friendly tires (19 inch Goodyears). It's the only set I've ever been on, as they just are not popular in our area of the country at all it seems, but I'd charge someone a big time price tag for dialing them in on a track day...they were that far out of whack (had me bobbling all over the place).

To the original poster - might help narrow the field if you post your budget as well, and your wheel/tire setup, as that very much determines how it "feels" during day to day use. Also, do you plan to do track days on these same ties, or do you have dedicated track tires? This should have a huge impact in the choice you make

NISMO does not make coilovers for the Z - they are just a matched set of springs and struts, no adjustable height, no adjustable dampening.

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
"Of course, this car was dropped on the ground"

The Stance coilover has full height adjustablity, so unless some sort of funky bushing binding that I've never heard about was going on, dampner stroke issues were not the cause of how the car felt.

I considered the Stance coilovers, but I felt their was too much risk. I didn't get enough confidence in the review's posted, as good and well liked as they have been penned. In the end I felt better about paying more, that my idea of right and wrong was better taken care of by a system who's gene's I was well aware of and who's developement was handled by qualified people.

I completely hear ya there, and I feel largely the same. I was so unimpressed by them, that I didn't even care to look into the 'whys' of this subject cars behavior, and this was just on some local backroads near our office. The car went straight, so alignment issues didn't come to mind, though the car was very willing to kick the butt out, moreso than most other Z's I am used to (he was on Cusco bars, so not adjustable out back). They very well could have been setup incorrectly (preload vs. bracket adjustments) - you're guess is as good as mine, they just all in all didn't feel "good" for lack of a technical term lol during the 10 minutes or so I was driving the car - the moving far more than the front during steering input, which gives you an unsettling feeling. The owner of the car "loved" them - my guess is he loved how low he was able to go, and so long as the car went right and left when asked to, it was his definition of "great", which is of course a big problem when researching any mod. Anyway, with a "true" coilover setup in the rear, my interest in really exploring them further just wasn't there - maybe if I get some time over the fall or winter I can get the car here, and a damper put on a local shock dyno for some testing, and see what makes em tick.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Gsedan35

Turismo, curious,.....what about the D2's is motivating you to pull them and something else?

Damping?
Overall stiffness?
Quality (leaking, noises ect)?

Most cheap coilovers tend to be underdampned. Too much spring and poor shock control. Delivering that as the final product to control costs and keep profits up where your hoping to fool the unknowing into thinking the ride quality is "great, better then stock" is only fooling those that don't know any better, sadly the owners end up not knowing what they are missing. It could end their because, hey they are happy aren't they? No, it's a great car with owner's that deserve better.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
tribal_visionz

Are zeals and stance the only two companies that make a true coilover? Noticing both coilover systems let you slam your amongst means, but zeal of course takes the win.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
turismo

Turismo, curious,.....what about the D2's is motivating you to pull them and something else?

Damping?
Overall stiffness?
Quality (leaking, noises ect)?

Most cheap coilovers tend to be underdampned. Too much spring and poor shock control. Delivering that as the final product to control costs and keep profits up where your hoping to fool the unknowing into thinking the ride quality is "great, better then stock" is only fooling those that don't know any better, sadly the owners end up not knowing what they are missing. It could end their because, hey they are happy aren't they? No, it's a great car with owner's that deserve better.
Damnping and overall stiffness.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Gsedan35

Damnping and overall stiffness.
Would have been a good idea to have arranged a ride and drive in a Z that has the Stance setup locally. I would have asked to of been taken along some of the same stretches of road that you know your D2's have dampning issues with. Since you have already ordered them, kinda a mute point. Hope things work out and your happy in the end.

Did you go with the true coilover setup in the rear or the setup that runs the rear spring in the oem location?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
turismo

Would have been a good idea to have arranged a ride and drive in a Z that has the Stance setup locally. I would have asked to of been taken along some of the same stretches of road that you know your D2's have dampning issues with. Since you have already ordered them, kinda a mute point. Hope things work out and your happy in the end.

Did you go with the true coilover setup in the rear or the setup that runs the rear spring in the oem location?

Well, I searched on here before I made my decision. And I concluded that the Stance where the best for my applications. I looked at the Cusco's, Jics, HKS and Pss9's(really considered these) but I wanted something capable of going to the track in. From the reviews I read, Stance seems to have a strong following here.

I went with the true coilover setup. I wanted something different so I can compare with my last two coilovers(Tein/D2's).
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
brigz

I just have the gr's. The pros werent out when i chose this set up. I have no regrets purchasing these, but i would like to see how the oem rear setup is compared to the full coilover setup.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
SlideWays314

I have the RSR's and although they are comfortable I would look into the HKS Hipermax III's. they sound like they are even more comfortable on the street than the RSR's.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GR+ Pros turismo. I like them a lot so far although the ride can be harsh on certain roads.

As far as handling goes, I think they feel great. I haven't autox'd again since my alignment and new tires but I'm pretty excited.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by blasian
I have the GR+ Pros turismo. I like them a lot so far although the ride can be harsh on certain roads.

As far as handling goes, I think they feel great. I haven't autox'd again since my alignment and new tires but I'm pretty excited.
Are they the true coilovers?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
tribal_visionz

bump for my question
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by tribal_visionz
Are zeals and stance the only two companies that make a true coilover? Noticing both coilover systems let you slam your amongst means, but zeal of course takes the win.

I believe they are. But the Zeals I heard are way to stiff for street useage.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they the true coilovers?
Yeah, I have the true coilovers.

Quick Reply: Impressions of RSR coilovers?