Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Got my alignment done

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my alignment done

So i got my alignment done today, and the best the guy could do is set my rear camber to NEG 3.5.(Due to my tire hitting the fender) The toe is all squared away.

Is that gonna be excessive tire wear? I know it will be more than 'normal' however i was under the impression that Toe was the killer of inner tire wear and not so much neg camber.

Btw, I'm running 19x10.5 +22 285/35/19 in the rear.

Now the thing is, even at neg 3.5 im still rubbing, so im gonna get my fenders rolled tonight or tomorrow so I should be 'okay' with these settings. Im just thinking i won't be able to get anywhere close to -2 without raising the height.

in the rear, im tucking slightly.

Any help would be appreciated.
And does anyone know why every alignment place recommends more camber in the rear? Searching the boards, most people here recommend more front camber.

Last edited by vispre; 07-12-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Alang35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toe is the killer of tire life. more negative camber = more grip in the corners. still neg 3.5 is quite a lot....
Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what are you using for a rear camber/toe kit?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be getting uneven wear on the inside of the tire. Excessive? I am not sure. But that is a crazy amount of camber. Of course you want to have a crazy drop/offset, big wide wheels/tires you're going to have to sacrifice the camber. And I believe from factory, the rear has more camber then the front. Most people want more camber in front is because it looks better I believe.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 PM
vispre

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
what are you using for a rear camber/toe kit?
I've got the SPC rear camber/toe combo.

Yeah i know what you mean, I do want a decently sized drop and i do like how the +22 are relatively flush so im hoping that tonight when i roll the fenders, it'll give me some breathing room to get back to maybe -2.5 or even -3. I think -3 won't be so bad.

As both of you guys already mentioned, i know i will get uneven wear but im hoping that toe is the reason for excessive wear, and not camber as the major contributor. (and so my toe is fine)
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

You should be able to run -2 no problem once rolled. Now for the camber kit part, someone screwed up the install. I would bet the toe bolts were installed on the camber arms like i have seen many times before. Please post pics of you inner camber arm bolts, and you inner spring arm bolts.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
vispre

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You should be able to run -2 no problem once rolled. Now for the camber kit part, someone screwed up the install. I would bet the toe bolts were installed on the camber arms like i have seen many times before. Please post pics of you inner camber arm bolts, and you inner spring arm bolts.

Yeah i just got back from having my fenders roll, now i have a good 5-10mm of clearannce behind the fender.

Wait why would there be something wrong with the camber kit? I installed it myself so i know exactly what went wear. I put the toe bolts on the arms that hold the spring. Dremeled the hole out, etc.

reason why i said the best he could do was -3.5 was not because of the kit, it was cuz it was running into my fender. Or are you referring to something else?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vispre
I've got the SPC rear camber/toe combo.

Yeah i know what you mean, I do want a decently sized drop and i do like how the +22 are relatively flush so im hoping that tonight when i roll the fenders, it'll give me some breathing room to get back to maybe -2.5 or even -3. I think -3 won't be so bad.

As both of you guys already mentioned, i know i will get uneven wear but im hoping that toe is the reason for excessive wear, and not camber as the major contributor. (and so my toe is fine)
at -3.5 rear camber, you are going to go through the rear tires quite quickly with normal street use.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vispre
Yeah i just got back from having my fenders roll, now i have a good 5-10mm of clearannce behind the fender.

Wait why would there be something wrong with the camber kit? I installed it myself so i know exactly what went wear. I put the toe bolts on the arms that hold the spring. Dremeled the hole out, etc.

reason why i said the best he could do was -3.5 was not because of the kit, it was cuz it was running into my fender. Or are you referring to something else?
I think we were both under the impression from how your initial post was worded that the best they could get you back to was -3.5. If thats the best they could get you without it rubbing the fender, then yes, that makes more sense. Roll those fenders heavily and get the car in spec as it should be
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
vispre

I think we were both under the impression from how your initial post was worded that the best they could get you back to was -3.5. If thats the best they could get you without it rubbing the fender, then yes, that makes more sense. Roll those fenders heavily and get the car in spec as it should be

Definately. I apologize for the miscommunication. However, im still worried about how much suspension travel there is during acceleration/turning, etc.

Right now I can slide my fingers up under the fender (and it stop at the knuckle where my fingers meet my palm) and it does not rub at all. Im wondering, how much I can correct the camber and still allow enough clerance for travel.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

only way to know is trial and error. My suggestion...have someone who knows what they are doing roll them as heavily as they can, then you won't have to worry about any of it, and can run the camber you should, with super aggressive sizes and still not rub

My own car for example is dropped extremely low, 285's out back (not the biggest, but not a bad size either) with a 10 inch wheel, +14 offset and I am now at -1.5 degrees rear camber, without any rubbing even with a passenger and a trunk full of stuff
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 PM
tally350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to suspensions and I figured I would ask in here instead of making a new thread. I am interested in getting coilovers maybe BC or Tein flex with EDFC. My question is if I get the coilovers people have told me that I need to get control arms to adjust the camber. If I just get the coilovers will I be set or do I need to purchase other items.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Boba

Originally Posted by tally350z
I'm fairly new to suspensions and I figured I would ask in here instead of making a new thread. I am interested in getting coilovers maybe BC or Tein flex with EDFC. My question is if I get the coilovers people have told me that I need to get control arms to adjust the camber. If I just get the coilovers will I be set or do I need to purchase other items.

Well it's like the same thing with springs, any drop over 1.0" will most likely take the camber out of spec, but stock camber arms will not be able to get it back into stock spec. So it really depends on how much you're going to lower with your coilovers.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 AM
vispre

only way to know is trial and error. My suggestion...have someone who knows what they are doing roll them as heavily as they can, then you won't have to worry about any of it, and can run the camber you should, with super aggressive sizes and still not rub

My own car for example is dropped extremely low, 285's out back (not the biggest, but not a bad size either) with a 10 inch wheel, +14 offset and I am now at -1.5 degrees rear camber, without any rubbing even with a passenger and a trunk full of stuff
wow, thats pretty crazy but good to hear that you can run that without rubbing. I think i will try to get the alignment redone after i get a front camber arm and see if i can't run closer to -2.

Thanks for chiming in!