Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Zeal Function X vs Everything Else

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
+1 , overkill for a street car, overkill for anything less than a serious track car.

I don't think so. It feels much more responsive and fun, with better feeling of the road at any time. Even driving down to the store can be more fun. I test drove a Lotus right before I got the Zeals, and I loved the Lotus. The Zeals get the Z feeling as close as possible to it. And after 2 years, I still ******* love the Zeals.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I don't think so. It feels much more responsive and fun, with better feeling of the road at any time. Even driving down to the store can be more fun. I test drove a Lotus right before I got the Zeals, and I loved the Lotus. The Zeals get the Z feeling as close as possible to it. And after 2 years, I still ******* love the Zeals.
I can say the same about my BC's.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 AM
daytona350z

I can say the same about my BC's.
yeah, but bc's are in no way or form anywhere near in the categories quality/build/r&d/testing compared to zeals.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by daytona350z
yeah, but bc's are in no way or form anywhere near in the categories quality/build/r&d/testing compared to zeals.
But for some odd reason their car seems to be doing pretty dam well in Redline Time Attack. The fact is , most people will never be able to tell the difference, nor will they ever use them for what they are designed for.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
daytona350z

But for some odd reason their car seems to be doing pretty dam well in Redline Time Attack.
and zeal has won chanpionships in super gt, gt300, as well as thier partner company providing parts for formula 1 teams...

The fact is , most people will never be able to tell the difference, nor will they ever use them for what they are designed for.
right you are, but that can be said for the same people who buy bbk's.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
zBear

+1 , overkill for a street car, overkill for anything less than a serious track car.
I would disagree. Having a more responsive and better handling car is beneficial to everyone.

For someone who knows how to drive, the car responds quicker, faster, and handles better overall making for a more fun car to drive. It's also safer when we push our cars to the limit and "spirit drive". At least we have the benefit of better handling car so we screw up less.

For someone like my grandma, who does drive like a 80 year old grandma, better handling is still a big plus,. For example, if she were to suddenly brake hard, make a fast lane change, or any other quick maneuver, the car would not jiggle or sway as much as with a less competent setup.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The holy grail of Japanes shocks is on it's way to me. Zeal Super Funtion A16/14kg springs with a spring on damper rear setup! I talked to Dominic @ Zeal and they dyno every set of Super Functions so I will be getting the dyno plot with the shocks. They will be here the end of Sept and Sebring will be on October 5th.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

and zeal has won chanpionships in super gt, gt300, as well as thier partner company providing parts for formula 1 teams... .
And those versions arn't even close to what they sell us.

right you are, but that can be said for the same people who buy bbk's.
Yup , same thing , overkill at its finest. The only arguement those people with BBK's usually make is , its for looks, yes they can be seen, unlike a coilover system.

Originally Posted by zBear
I would disagree. Having a more responsive and better handling car is beneficial to everyone.
Actually our cars a well set up for the common driver from the factory. Many of the changes are actually more dangerious to drive on , unless you know what your doing. Most people don't actually know what their doing.

Last edited by terrasmak; 08-12-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
JETPILOT

I have no idea what I'm doing but I have my pockets stuffed with dirty stripper rotten crotch $1 bills burning a hole and that allows me to be one of those people who has no clue on a whole other level.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 08-12-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
daytona350z

And those versions arn't even close to what they sell us.
you can buy the same brake fluid the honda f1 team uses straight from endless.
you can buy the same exact coilovers the zeal s15 time attack car uses.
you can buy the exatct same spec coilovers the jun time attack car uses.
you can buy the same exact coilovers the MCR gtr uses.
you can buy the same coilovers that the jun top speed 350z uses.
you can buy the same exact brake setup for the hks evo that currently holds the track record at buttonwillow.
you can buy the same monoblock calipers that the gt300 teams use.
you can buy the same pads that current zeal/endless backed races teams use.

so dont even tell me you cant buy the same versions without even doing your homework.

Last edited by daytona350z; 08-12-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The holy grail of Japanes shocks is on it's way to me. Zeal Super Funtion A16/14kg springs with a spring on damper rear setup! I talked to Dominic @ Zeal and they dyno every set of Super Functions so I will be getting the dyno plot with the shocks. They will be here the end of Sept and Sebring will be on October 5th.
I thought you said you weren't going to buy unless you got to see the plot's BEFORE you bought?

Did you happen to ask what graph type they enclose? Hopefully they will include a force vs velocity graph and not just average force vs absolute velocity or force vs displacement. Whatever you get, let's hope it's has enough info to be of value.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Gsedan35

terrasmak, without trying to offend,........... I'm not a Zeal coilover fan, to the point that I will say I would buy something else in comparison. But, BcRacing is not on the same level as them is soooo many way's, even suggesting they could be remotely close is absurd. Your talking about the same compay that made the not so hot Megan racing coilovers I ran, no way the same people that delivered that product to Megan can delivery anything fainttly close to Zeal. I know it offends your value senses that these guys could spend as much money as they have, but your making a agrument in a area that simply cannot be supported on the shock dyno, of when tearing both products apart and examining their enternal construction.

A lot of these companies do not really understand what needs to go into a damper to make it work well, and lets be clear, we are not talking about Zeal, Ohlins, Bilstein, Penske, JRZ, Moton, or anyother member of that club. However, I guess in actuality they are looking at the market the right way. The average enthusiast does not know anything about dampers and most of the time does not even know how a properly setup car should feel or handle. The flooding of different colored coilovers has soured the market and brainwashed it in a way that people do not know what is actually a good product versus a pretty color. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of people that do know the difference. It just seems with the 350Z crowd, it's more about going low and being really stiff, so proving that the dampers are junk and there are much better dampers out there is an uphill battle. People are starting to turn thought and realize the difference which is good. Nevertheless, the market is still getting flooded with junk and every time something new comes out, I see threads saying what do you think about these new $900 brand X coilovers, when it might as well be the same thing in different colors.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 AM
zBear

you can buy the same coilovers that the jun top speed 350z uses.
Can someone buy these for me? I'd like to have some coilovers that cost more than a turbo kit.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/...o_x/index.html
Attached Thumbnails Zeal Function X vs Everything Else-impp_0807_07_z-jun_auto_evo_x-strut_tower.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
terrasmak, without trying to offend,........... I'm not a Zeal coilover fan, to the point that I will say I would buy something else in comparison. But, BcRacing is not on the same level as them is soooo many way's,
Never said they were in the same league , but they are over kill. BC's are good and good enough to win races at a certain level. Zeal, Ohlins and a few other make some crazy high end stuff that has no benifit on the street or track(unless you have really deep pockets and can afford to dump a few grand into professional setup)
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I thought you said you weren't going to buy unless you got to see the plot's BEFORE you bought?

Did you happen to ask what graph type they enclose? Hopefully they will include a force vs velocity graph and not just average force vs absolute velocity or force vs displacement. Whatever you get, let's hope it's has enough info to be of value.
Who said I didn't see a dyno? It is force vs. velocity. The chart is plotted with 3 damper setting. Low, mid, high.

Do you think PS99's are on par with Super functions?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Gsedan35

Who said I didn't see a dyno? It is force vs. velocity. The chart is plotted with 3 damper setting. Low, mid, high.
I talked to Dominic @ Zeal and they dyno every set of Super Functions so I will be getting the dyno plot with the shocks.
^
You didn't say you had them in hand, you said you'll be getting them with the shocks.

Can you please post the plot or pm it to me if you wish it to remain out of the public eye?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 PM
JETPILOT

I have a friend with an EVO who has a set. His shocks came with the dyno graph. He showed them to me. I did not ask for a copy of them so I don't have them with me.

Every set of Super Functions they build are sent with the dyno's in the box. This is only true of the Super Function line. That's what I was reffering to when I said.... "I will be getting the dyno plot with the shocks".

When I get my set around the middle/end of Sept I will post a copy.

If you call Domonic @ ZEAL... domonic@endlessusa.com maybe he can supply you with what you are looking for.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
DMK

I don't think Zeals would be overkill. Certainly high end, but worth it. A set of triple adjustable Motons would be overkill for any street driven car.

I've heard the super functions are ridiculously stiff past half dampening.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM
DMK

Double post.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
JETPILOT

I got a good deal. I am paying $2795 for the one way adjustable Super Function A shocks that are 1 way adjustable with 6 levels of adjustment. The B's offer 30 levels of adjustment but cover the same range. So I decided to save $400 and jsut get the 6 way adjustable.

The 2 way adjustable Super Funtions start at $4500. That was out of my budget. Without shock telemetry I would be lost setting up a two way adjustable shock. In addition I still have the OEM rubber bushings and feedback is lost in the bushings compliance.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 08-14-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Zeal Function X vs Everything Else