Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Zeal Function X vs Everything Else

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 AM
zBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeal Function X vs Everything Else

It's time to get serious about upgrading my suspension. I've been looking at some Zeal Function X and wonder if anyone here has any experience with them. They are suppose to be some of the best coilovers out there and everyone who has had Zeals swears by them.

Anyone here have an opinion on these?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only heard nothing but good about them
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 AM
daytona350z

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...long-read.html

i actually have a brand new set coming in with custom rates. i was gonna put it on the car, but now selling the car. so coilovers will be up for sale once they get here. eta is about 1.5 weeks.

Last edited by daytona350z; 07-24-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
zBear

daytona350z,
I think you had two set of Zeals and I read the reviews of both of them already. Both threads contained a lot of info, but I was looking to see if anyone else has had experience with them.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Justin@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Ive known about Zeal and had experience with them way before I was selling parts. Back when they were brought in by 5zigen was my first encounter with them.

Very high quality, dampening is well matched with available spring rates. I can assure you, they will not disappoint.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
SnoXRacer183

So what is the closest competition for the Zeal Function X? I've read nothing but good reviews on these.

I just started looking at coilovers and suspension things and I don't want to skimp on suspension and want to do it right. I just purchased my Z 2 months ago and eventually it is going to end up more of a track type car than a daily driver. I want to go with a top of the line coilover.

Not trying to steal the OP's thread just trying to get some discussion on other high-end coilovers vs. the Zeal's
Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by zBear
daytona350z,
I think you had two set of Zeals and I read the reviews of both of them already. Both threads contained a lot of info, but I was looking to see if anyone else has had experience with them.
ah, cool. jsyang15 has a set as well as i hatethatbobbarker, chebosto also has a set as well. just a few members you can search for.

Originally Posted by SnoXRacer183
So what is the closest competition for the Zeal Function X? I've read nothing but good reviews on these.

I just started looking at coilovers and suspension things and I don't want to skimp on suspension and want to do it right. I just purchased my Z 2 months ago and eventually it is going to end up more of a track type car than a daily driver. I want to go with a top of the line coilover.

Not trying to steal the OP's thread just trying to get some discussion on other high-end coilovers vs. the Zeal's
closes competition would probably be all the higher end coils, like hks hypermax 3's, kw v3's etc. zeal just has great service located here in so cal if you ever need them revalved or new spring rates.

i dunno about the customization with the other two though. the kw's are great for street i hear, but with progressive rates, probably want to go with a linear setup at the track.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want to skimp on suspension then go with Penske, Koni, or Moton.

A set of Koni 2812's, or 2822's with Swift or Eibach springs would be the ultimate setup.

I wouldn't buy anything without a shock dyno. I'm sick of cheap shocks.

The above mentioned shocks are what you will find on Grand Am. Koni Challenge, F1, NASCAR cars etc..... Those are the best. Be prepared to spend North of $4500.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
zBear

SnoXRacer183,
No worries here. I'm just trying to gather more information on these coils since only a few people have them.

Last edited by zBear; 07-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

I wouldn't buy anything without a shock dyno. I'm sick of cheap shocks.
i doubt that 99.9% of people on this forum know how to read a shock dyno. if your sick of cheap shocks, then the answer is simpple, dont by cheap parts.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by daytona350z
i doubt that 99.9% of people on this forum know how to read a shock dyno. if your sick of cheap shocks, then the answer is simpple, dont by cheap parts.
You'd be suprised how many expensive parts turn out to be cheap as well. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they perform.

It's not important that people here know how to read shock dyno. It's important the people at Penske, Koni, Zeal know ho w to read them.

I wonder if everything Zeal makes gets put on a dyno before shipping and each valve setting checked.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 07-24-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Lawy'dU

far too expensive to be worth while unless your car is a time attack car or if you are a strict JDM *****.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
zBear

You'd be suprised how many expensive parts turn out to be cheap as well. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they perform.
Yeah, it makes me wonder how a simple setup like the Tanabe GF210 and Tokico D Specs would fare against the Zeals. It's hard to get an actual comparison when you've personally not ridden in the same car with two different suspension.

I know some tuners have used already used Zeal for the new Nissan GTR R35 so either the suspension is pretty good or these guys are getting a helluva deal from Zeal.

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...nsion-o?blog=4

http://www.vqmotoring.com/forum/showthread.php?p=564
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
daytona350z

ok, my mistake, i shoulda said poor quality instead of cheap.

i think if Endless/Zeal have won the super taikyu series, along with the gt300 class when it was super gt, as well competeing in the timeattack series, and holding the lap record now at button willow raceway says alot in the time attack series here, says alot about what kind of development they run.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by zBear
Yeah, it makes me wonder how a simple setup like the Tanabe GF210 and Tokico D Specs would fare against the Zeals. It's hard to get an actual comparison when you've personally not ridden in the same car with two different suspension.

I know some tuners have used already used Zeal for the new Nissan GTR R35 so either the suspension is pretty good or these guys are getting a helluva deal from Zeal.

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...nsion-o?blog=4

http://www.vqmotoring.com/forum/showthread.php?p=564
yes, those are the new function lineup they are using. complete with remote resevoirs. i believe >5k
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
anotheraznguy

It's not important that people here know how to read shock dyno. It's important the people at Penske, Koni, Zeal know ho w to read them.

I wonder if everything Zeal makes gets put on a dyno before shipping and each valve setting checked.

Hey jet, i used to work at autornd..
who used to work directly w/ endless usa.

We were a wholesaler of zeal coilovers and endless brakes.

During the span of i believe 03-05, we actually had endless japan put each coil on a shock dyno and deliver them with the coilovers to us.

I am pretty sure that they are still sitting in the filing cabinet at autornd or even possibly endless usa.

so they did check their setup..

Zeals are great albeit on the pricey side.
The handling / ride quality / etc..

With the change of the valve you can feel that the overall damping was changed.

also one of the main reasons why i liked the zeals so much was due to the invertead rear design which allows you to adjust the rear coilovers without
1) cutting the rear strut interior plastics
2) removing the coilover

I've personally had them on my car and then sold them to get the stance coilovers

I am honestly going to say that the zeals rode quite a bit better.
the high speed damping on those coilovers were phenomenal. another factor that wants me to go back to zeals is the quick rebuilds within the us without having to send to japan. Also in california with the hwy joints the way they are. the zeals didnt oscillate compared to the lesser quality stances.

Am i saying that the zeals are the end all to be all, no
am i saying stances are no good, no

Just wanted to give you my impressions

For the buck zeals are great comfort/ great performance / great reliability
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Tubbs

I have the Zeals, and I ******* love them. Had them for 2 years.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 AM
JETPILOT

I called ZEAL a few times recently looking for more information on their products and their involvment in Super GT, and It seems they make a product equal to any of the other companies I mentioned. I am going to order a set of the Super Function shocks and put them to the test @ Sebring in October.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM
zBear

I called ZEAL a few times recently looking for more information on their products and their involvment in Super GT, and It seems they make a product equal to any of the other companies I mentioned. I am going to order a set of the Super Function shocks and put them to the test @ Sebring in October.
Can't wait for your impressions. Don't keep us waiting too long!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
far too expensive to be worth while unless your car is a time attack car or if you are a strict JDM *****.
+1 , overkill for a street car, overkill for anything less than a serious track car.

Quick Reply: Zeal Function X vs Everything Else