Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Moonface Roll Center Adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Colin_S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should hopefully have mine fitted this week, not too hard a job just need a press.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin.... could you take some pics please? What kind of suspension do you have in the front? Coilover? Do you have to legnthen the shock?

Mole... where you movin to?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Colin_S

Because it needs pressed in I am not doing it myself so can't take any pics of it being fitted however on Saturday I will be checking my coilover settings to see if any alterations are required. I can take pics then.

I have Tein Flex coilovers.

They are being fitted today, just dropped the car off.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Colin_S

Ok i've had them installed however no pics as there is absolutely nothing to take pics of that looks any different to stock except a shiny bottom of the ball joint.

First impressions are fantastic, they have really made a huge difference. The twichy feeling i had at the front is completely gone. I still need my geometry done so will give further feedback after that on Friday and had the chance for some spirited driving.

Oh and these are just ball joints really and a couple of 'spacers'. Basically you remove the stock ball joint, press this one in and bolt it back up with the 'spacers' in place. The arm now sits lower at the wheel side and is now totally parallel with the ground. Really simple to fit if you have a press.

Last edited by Colin_S; 10-22-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
JETPILOT

How much are you lowered?

Did you have to raise the height of your coilover?

Do you have a choice of how much you want to adjust the roll center? Different size spacers?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Colin_S

My car is 63.5mm from ground to the bottom of the wing at the front.

These are not adjustable.

I did have to raise the height as the car dropped about 10mm after the install.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Wow! 460 bucks for a couple of bolts! Yes they are very nice special bolts, but still just bolts. I would definitely consider them if they were more like 150, but definitely not 460.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are going in today/tomorrow
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adam, would you be able to post pics of these next to the stock joints for comparison, and also a pic showing the new joint installed in the lower arm and upright?

These have to lower the mounting height of the control arm relative to the upright's mount in order to be effective, since raising the ball joint center will not correct the roll center. So, I am wondering what kind of "spacers" this thing uses and why, and how much lower the ball joint center is compared to stock. Please let us know if there are any clearance issues with the end of the arm being brought closer to the upright.

Will
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no sorry I am not doing the install here as I don't have the press so I doubt pics will be possible in terms of a side by side. Once I get the car back I can show installed pics

everything needed for install is included with the kit
Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
How much are you lowered?

Did you have to raise the height of your coilover?

Do you have a choice of how much you want to adjust the roll center? Different size spacers?
2 different size spacers are included depending how much the car is lowered

I should have my car back Monday night guys, had to do some modding to fit my new camber arms
Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 AM
JETPILOT

As soon as I figure out how these work they will be my next mod assuming they work. I can't picture how they work, and I don't know how one is supposed to figure which spacer to use. I'm dropped about 2" and would like to get my roll center back to normal. I hope these will do the job.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 AM
Colin_S

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
2 different size spacers are included depending how much the car is lowered

I should have my car back Monday night guys, had to do some modding to fit my new camber arms
Adam, not sure that is correct. Yes there were 2 sizes of spacers in the box but both are needed, one goes on the ball joint and the other goes on at one of the other bolts on the arm. It shows you in the pics on those Japanese instructions.

Jetpilot, the way there work are (if you excuse my non-technical explanation) you change the ball joint and slide the spacer over. Then when the ball joint is bolted back up the arm sits lower as the spacer is now in. The ball joints pivot points are designed to allow for this difference. Also at another point you need to fit another spacer to allow one of the other bits to bolt onto the lower arm.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM
bimmertech

as nice as raising the front roll center would be(used this technique on mustangs for years now) i will prolly just wait until an adjustable thrust rod comes to market and adjust the roll axis that way.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bimmertech
as nice as raising the front roll center would be(used this technique on mustangs for years now) i will prolly just wait until an adjustable thrust rod comes to market and adjust the roll axis that way.
How does an adjustable thrust rod affect roll center? I can't picture how that works.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Colin_S
Adam, not sure that is correct. Yes there were 2 sizes of spacers in the box but both are needed, one goes on the ball joint and the other goes on at one of the other bolts on the arm. It shows you in the pics on those Japanese instructions.

Jetpilot, the way there work are (if you excuse my non-technical explanation) you change the ball joint and slide the spacer over. Then when the ball joint is bolted back up the arm sits lower as the spacer is now in. The ball joints pivot points are designed to allow for this difference. Also at another point you need to fit another spacer to allow one of the other bits to bolt onto the lower arm.
Colin - could be correct, I was going off memory from what I saw in the box. Post some pics of yours installed if you get a chance.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:27 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by Beau
How does an adjustable thrust rod affect roll center? I can't picture how that works.

i doesn't affect roll center directly, however it should alter the roll axis by means of more caster.

when i had the spl front control arms i had about 9.5 caster and was very pleased with that setup. i got rid of the arms for reasons i will not get into(was not a product quality issue fwiw), but have since missed the added caster. even with that caster wheel setback was not an issue. i am chomping at the bit to get an adjust thrust rod in hopes to have 10 pos caster.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Colin_S

Adam, I first thought the same. As for pics, you will see soon there is nothing to take pics of as it looks exactly as standard except for a shiny bottom of the ball joint. You can't even see the spacers.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol @ this thread for being open over a month without one good explanation on how exactly these things work (not just "they change the suspension geometry back to how it was originally designed"). These might as well be from the moon at this point...

+1 on also being useful to understand how one determines the correct adjustment settings for these bad boys (already been asked by Jet, methinks)

I will start with a wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll_center

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll_center
Theory

There are two definitions of roll center. The most commonly used is the geometric (or kinematic) roll center, whereas the Society of Automotive Engineers uses a force based definition.

The location of the geometric roll center is solely dictated by the suspension geometry. The SAE definition of the force based roll center is "The point in the transverse vertical plane through any pair of wheel centers at which lateral forces may be applied to the sprung mass without producing suspension roll".

The lateral location of the roll center is typically located at the centerline of the vehicle when the suspension on left and right sides of the car are mirror images of each other, and in identical locations.

The significance of the roll center can only be appreciated when the vehicle's center of mass is also considered. If there is a difference between the position of the center of mass and the roll center a “moment arm” is created. When the vehicle experiences angular acceleration due to cornering the size of the moment arm, combined with the stiffness of the springs and anti-roll bars (anti-sway bars in some parts of the world) dictate how much the vehicle will roll while cornering. This has other effects too such as dynamic load transfer.

Application

Load transfer is of critical importance for vehicle stability in vehicle such as SUVs. Ideally in high performance applications load transfer tends to be minimised as a tyre's performance is directly affected by the amount of load that it has to transmit. In a steady state turn the final load transfer, summed across all the axles, is only related to the position of the center of mass above the ground, the track width and the lateral acceleration. SUVs must shift their center of mass lower or decrease their lateral acceleration to avoid tipping. To keep them from tipping many auto manufacturer use tyres with lower grip to reduce the vehicles cornering capacity, or the roll stiffness balance front to rear can be altered to encourage understeer or oversteer as necessary to limit the maximum lateral acceleration of the vehicle.

The geometric roll center of the vehicle can be found by following basic geometrical procedures when the vehicle is static. However, when the vehicle rolls the roll centers migrate. It is this movement of roll centers that vehicle dynamicists seek to control and in most cases limit. The rapid movement of roll centers when the system experiences small displacements can lead to stability problems with the vehicle. The roll center height has been shown to affect behaviour at the inititation of turns such as nimbleness and initial roll control.

Testing Methods

Current methods of analyzing individual wheel instant centers have yielded more intuitive results of the effects of non-rolling weight transfer effects. This type of analysis is better known as the lateral-anti method. This is where one takes the individual instant center locations of each corner of the car and then calculates the resultant vertical reaction vector due to lateral force. This value then is taken into account in the calculation of a jacking force and lateral weight transfer. This method works particularly well in circumstances where there are asymmetries in left to right suspension geometry.

The practical equivalent of the above is to push laterally at the tire contact patch and measure the ratio of the change in vertical load to the horizontal force.

-guitman (who would like to clearly understand also)

Last edited by guitman32; 10-28-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I purposely didn't post the wiki page because its a bit over the heads of what most layman can understand

Rather than come up with a normal language explanation of my own, I'll post this link - it does a very good job explaining the ins and outs of roll center, and why it is important to think about for those who want to maximize the handling of our cars. The link discusses the S2000 in particular, but the same principals apply
http://www.maxrev.net/index.php?location=RCAreview.htm

Quick Reply: Moonface Roll Center Adjusters