Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension Help.... just lowered

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM
hulikner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Help.... just lowered

I just lowered my Z on tokico blues and gf210s with rear camber kit. I went and got it aligned also a week after it settled some. But ever since I lowered it, I hear this noise and I know its coming from the front suspension. Its not a rattle but almost like something is loose but I have checked everything and it seems ok? It makes the noise only when I am going slow and I am going over small bumps like a gravel drive way. What it almost sounds like is that the top of the strut was not tightened down and it is moving up and down right below the strut bar under the hood, but everything seems to be tight. Any ideas????
Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 AM
hulikner

even though no one has responded yet, I found the top of the left strut moves a little bit so I am going to try to tighten the top three bolts again and see. If not then is it possible to tighten the top big nut on the top of the strut to much to where it compresses the spring to much???
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 3 bolts dont go very tight - honestly just hand tight with a 3/8 wratchet is fine (I think they are only spec'd at maybe 20 ft lbs) - the center nut on the strut does get torqued down a fair bit though. Don't go overboard on the top 3, they are just there to secure the mount to the car, and if you go too tight, you will snap them. IIRC the center nut on the strut is spec'd to about 50 ft lbs or so. Also, make sure the spring is properly seated in the perch
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Sponge

You might want to take a look at your front endlinks. By dropping the car you've put extra force on this already weak part. A broken endlink makes all kinds of differnet sounds, a "pop" or even a "rattle" sometimes. I coulda sworn that my wheel bearings were going out on the front passenger side. Search for 'endlink' and it will pull up lots of issues with new sway bars and lowered cars. Just a thought.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another good area to look too, but the endlink failure tends to be a bit more gradual, and if it's gone bad, it should theoretically be noticeable even on a stock suspension. If the noise wasn't there before springs/struts and is there now, that's probably where the issue is. Certainly worth a look though, as it is a common issue as well