Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Adjusting rear toe - Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 AM
G35Soul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting rear toe - Which is better?

I've searched through various threads, but I've found nothing that directly addresses the best way to adjust rear toe. (**with adjustable camber arms installed). I'd like some direct feedback regarding the following issue...

Which is better to use to adjust rear toe....

Adjustable Radius Arms (Eg. Cusco, etc)
or
SPC Toe Bolts (*Elongating the hole on spring bucket)

Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

using a arm similar to the one used for camber is only possible if you have a coilover setup that relocates the rear spring from the bucket to actually being on the shock.

so, if you dont have that kind of coilover setup, the toe bolts it is.
if you do have that kind of setup, get the arms.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
G35Soul

^^^Thank you for that insight. That makes total sense.

I'm trying to better understand the geometry of our Z's rear suspension. If you adjust the spring bucket location by elongating the holes using SPC Bolts (if you're using lowering springs)...you'd be displacing the spring from its upper rubber mount. Therefore, the spring wouldn't be exactly "centered". In that case, wouldn't adjustable radius arms be the way to go?

Thoughts....
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
redlude97

with a nontrue coilover suspension. The ONLY option should be SPC toe bolts. Adjustable radius arms are a very poor choice because the lengthening of the radius arm creates changes in 2 planes of suspension geometry at once, unlike the toe bolts which only affect toe. The radius arm, while affecting toe(and cause the same displacement of the spring) will also affect rear "caster", pushing or pulling the suspension and thus the wheels towards the front and rear of the wheelwells respectively. There is a good reason why Nissan adjusts toe from the OEM location, and it should stay that way.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

both methods can work (arm or bolt), but as mentioned above, the bolt is a far easier and better overall way to do it. Hell I have arms for both camber and toe on my car (the prototype of the Cusco setup) and it's a pain to adjust both camber and toe - takes about 30 minutes per side to get them both dialed in. Stick to the bolts!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 PM
G35Soul

Originally Posted by redlude97
radius arm creates changes in 2 planes of suspension geometry at once, unlike the toe bolts which only affect toe. The radius arm, while affecting toe(and cause the same displacement of the spring) will also affect rear "caster".
Thanks! I didn't realize how much of an angle the radius arms are positioned until I found a pic online (ITEM A). I can now see how it would effect caster