Response from Koni

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:30 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Response from Koni

FYI. I received this email response.

Mark,

The shocks are developed for the 350Z but we are waiting for the first production run to be built. They will take care of the bounce that you feel as they are valved to give the car great handling but still give a nice smooth ride. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 08-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah Gordon told me the same thing about a month ago on the phone. Were still on track for these coming out in the fall it looks like. But I didn't ask if their going to be single (rebound only) adjustable or double adjustable (rebound and compression). God I hope their double.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:31 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're too late, I've already spent $2K with JIC!! :-)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:59 AM
jmark

Another reply:

Mark,

I don't have an exact release date on the shocks or a price at this time. The shocks will be externally adjustable for rebound damping. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 08-13-2003, 06:35 AM
jmark

One last answer from Koni.

Mark,

>I assume the shocks will from the Street Sport Series.(Yellow) Is that correct?

Yes, they will be the Sport model. We will keep our dealers and customers as up to date as possible on the release of the 350Z application but I don't see it becoming available until late Fall. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 08-13-2003, 07:08 AM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the nat'l level auto-x'ers and one lap competitors had some one-off adjustable konis on his Z at the last SCCA divisional and his car didnt lean at all in the turns. Of course they cost him something like $3000.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for letting me know their going to be single adjustable.
Well, that's not good new's for me, I'll have to consider the cost to send them back to be converted into double adjustable vs going another route to get the same adjustability.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Audito350Z

if single-adjustable Konis don't do the trick... then you might need these:
http://www.motonsuspension.com/start.htm
Old 08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
dwnshift

We are the distributor for the Moton shock for the 350Z and did all the development with them.
We also have the Penskes coming next week. 1 ways or we can do 2 ways.
See the Penske shock post.
both of these shock sets can be purchased through
www.350EVO.com
Old 08-14-2003, 03:35 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by 2003z
One of the nat'l level auto-x'ers and one lap competitors had some one-off adjustable konis on his Z at the last SCCA divisional and his car didnt lean at all in the turns. Of course they cost him something like $3000.
That's Carter Thompson. He posts here on occasion.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:40 AM
jmark

What do you think the price for these Koni 1 way adjustable Yellow Sport shocks will be? I am hoping for the $500-600 range per set.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
tomsn16

Default Ko

My guess is the Koni single adjust Yellows will be about $150/corner. Carter's custom doubles were about $600/corner.

The yellows should have less initial compression(won't be as bumpy as stock)and will have plenty of rebound adjustment.We run Carter's compression low and rarely change it making me think that the Yellows will be just as good as doubles for autoX.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:40 AM
jmark

Default Re: Ko

Originally posted by tomsn16
My guess is the Koni single adjust Yellows will be about $150/corner. Carter's custom doubles were about $600/corner.

The yellows should have less initial compression(won't be as bumpy as stock)and will have plenty of rebound adjustment.We run Carter's compression low and rarely change it making me think that the Yellows will be just as good as doubles for autoX.
Can you explain what the problem is with the stock shocks? Most of us have the bounce.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:06 AM
dwnshift

Its not jsut the shocks.....dont get me worng they are part of the problem... The rear bushings have to much "wind-up" in them.
Anyone the is bored and has the time...
remove a rear shock........and push up on the upper control arm .then stand back and let it go.
There are other problems wiht the rear gemoetry as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:12 AM
jmark

I am looking for reasonably priced fix. I think at around $600 the Koni Sport is the way to go. What other suggestions do you have Dwnshift?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:47 PM
2003z

Originally posted by MannishBoy
That's Carter Thompson. He posts here on occasion.
I know, just don't like to post other people's names.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:40 PM
tomsn16

Default Re: Re: Ko

Originally posted by jmark
Can you explain what the problem is with the stock shocks? Most of us have the bounce.
JMARK....don't think there is anything really wrong with the stock shocks it's just that Nissan chose to build in rather high initial compression(bump) which gives a very firm feel to all the road bumps. On our custom doubles we have found the best compression adjustment to be well below the stock shocks for autox. Nice thing about the low compression is the car rides like a luxury sedan on the street in comparision to stock. I think the Koni Yellows will have a similarly low compression valving but I don't know that for sure.
The rebound settings we use with the custom units is just a little higher than the stock shocks but the custom units work far better. They reduce understeer,reduce inside rear wheel spin and have almost eliminated wheel hop on hard Pro Solo launches.Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:00 PM
jmark

Default Re: Re: Re: Ko

Originally posted by tomsn16
JMARK....don't think there is anything really wrong with the stock shocks it's just that Nissan chose to build in rather high initial compression(bump) which gives a very firm feel to all the road bumps. On our custom doubles we have found the best compression adjustment to be well below the stock shocks for autox. Nice thing about the low compression is the car rides like a luxury sedan on the street in comparision to stock. I think the Koni Yellows will have a similarly low compression valving but I don't know that for sure.
The rebound settings we use with the custom units is just a little higher than the stock shocks but the custom units work far better. They reduce understeer,reduce inside rear wheel spin and have almost eliminated wheel hop on hard Pro Solo launches.Hope this helps.
Thanks Carter! Sounds like the Koni's will be perfect for my needs. Can you recommend sway bars? Congrats on the One Lap finish and good luck at Topeka!
Old 08-14-2003, 03:24 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by 2003z
I know, just don't like to post other people's names.
Well, he (and his partner) posted here himself about his one lap exploits, so I assumed it was OK. Sorry if it wasn't
Old 08-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by dwnshift
Its not jsut the shocks.....dont get me worng they are part of the problem... The rear bushings have to much "wind-up" in them.
Anyone the is bored and has the time...
remove a rear shock........and push up on the upper control arm .then stand back and let it go.
There are other problems wiht the rear gemoetry as well.
What do you mean by 'WINDUP" and what happens when you remove a shock, push up on the upper control arm and let it go? Suspension technology is 50% science and 50% alchemy, like magic, to me. Please give me a baseline on what you are talking about. Thanks

Quick Reply: Response from Koni