Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Simple Brake Rotor/Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
whitethunderZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Brake Rotor/Pad Question

Have a 03 Touring with about 50k now; been replacing oem brake parts from dealer - I dont race, etc., etc.

Now that I'm planning to not goto the dealer for repairs, this time around thinking of replacing front rotors and pads with Stoptech slotted/performance pads. Why? Price is similar to oem, and maybe itll be better performance? Also, I want to save money by not going to a dealer and giving the aftermarket parts to a local mechanic (as they do not use oem parts anyways).

Should I just get oem(s)? I dont really care about saving a few dollars here or there, BUT I read online somewhere that replacing just the front or rear rotors (slotted or drilled) may cause some braking BIAS and may cause an accident??!! ****...I dont know.

Any thoughts, thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

do they make pads that fit OEM 350z brakes, i figured theyd only work on their BBKs
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...or-extras.html

replacing the rotors, whether you replace the fronts only, back only, etc etc shouldnt cause a change in braking bias whatsoever
Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple answer- search

this same question has been asked (and answered) numerous times already.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Q45tech

Based on 18 years of Infiniti history and my personal ownership of them, along with 2 300zx probably 95% of aftermarket pads result in worse street stopping time and distance, even single panic stops from 80 mph. The non optimized pads really show up in wet panic braking hot or cold.

Heavy dust is your panic stopping friend.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitethunderZ
Have a 03 Touring with about 50k now; been replacing oem brake parts from dealer - I dont race, etc., etc.

Now that I'm planning to not goto the dealer for repairs, this time around thinking of replacing front rotors and pads with Stoptech slotted/performance pads. Why? Price is similar to oem, and maybe itll be better performance? Also, I want to save money by not going to a dealer and giving the aftermarket parts to a local mechanic (as they do not use oem parts anyways).

Should I just get oem(s)? I dont really care about saving a few dollars here or there, BUT I read online somewhere that replacing just the front or rear rotors (slotted or drilled) may cause some braking BIAS and may cause an accident??!! ****...I dont know.

Any thoughts, thanks.
if you're like me and want to save a bundle for a no nonsense oem brake upgrade then you can do something similar to what i have done. i ordered a set of slotted only rotors from 88rotors and PBR/Axxis ultimates brake pads (www.zilvia.net marketplace) apx $280 shipped. you could even do just plain blanks and maybe save more. spray paint them gloss or semi gloss black high temp engine enamel to prevent rust. then i ordered a set of SS braided/teflon coated brake lines from gruppe-s ($99). top off with valvoline synth dot 3-4 brake fluid ($7) and a proper DIY =

i went with axxis ultimate pads because in my past experiences with my S13 and maxima they have great initial bite similar to if not better than oem. i've had the setup for just under a week and they work great. they're getting better as the pads wear in more. the pedal feels high and firm! good luck
Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
whitethunderZ

Default Thanks for all your input!

Thanks for all your input!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the Nismo R-tune brakepads. They're Nissan, so rest assured they're well tested. I got them, haven't noticed any huge differences in stopping distances, but you wont change stopping distances much even with a big brake kit upgrade. They are supposed to have a higher effective temperature range though. Also, these pads generate much less brake dust than the OEM pads. I can do harsh braking continuously, and not have my wheels covered in dust - whereas the OEM pads would dust my wheels in a run around the block.

Slotted or cross drilled rotors will actually reduce brake bite. There's less surface area contact between the brakepad and rotor. What they are good for is reducing brake fade, which happens from continuous braking in track or mountain environments. The slotted/drilled rotors dissapate gasses and heat faster.

Get some Nismo R-tune brakepads and stoptech 2 piece aero rotors. Or if the aero rotors are too pricy, go with any other stoptech or OEM rotor.