Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Using impact tool o assemble shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using impact tool to assemble top hat on shocks

Quick question, Picked up a set of new suspension and the doco states not to use a impact gun to do up the top nuts where the hat goes as it may damage the shock.

I have always use an air tool to do up the top nuts as if you try to do it by hand the inside piston spins.

Anyone got any good tips.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are you doing it the "ghetto" way by shooting the top bolt into a trash can and catching the top mount as the spring uncompresses? or using a spring compressor?

typically on the top of the piston, there is a notch that you can grab a hold of using an adjustable wrench, and using an open wrench get the.. 12mm (or was it 14mm) bolt off so the piston doesn't spin.

time consuming yes, but you avoid any issues of over torquing the nut and stripping the top of the piston thread if u use air tools..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Tip: Loosen the top nut while still mounted on the car using and offset wrench (Edit: BUT DON'T REMOVE). This is the best way I have found to avoid damage to the shock piston assembly. Once it's off the car and you need to remove the hat it will be pre-loosened and easy to remove. Another tip...when you're done have need to re-tighten the nut, get it as tight as you can while off the car (probably not tight enough), mount it on the car, use a floor jack to compress the assembly a bit, then tighten while on the car (just like removing it).

The key to all this is an offset wrench to allow you access to the nut while they are on the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
MR RIZK

depends on the length of spring but I normally use a spring compressor so I do not stress out the last few threads. On a coil over I normally loosen the bottom spring plate so the spring loosens first.

The bilstein PSS10 that I have bought have a section at the top where there is no thread that i could grab on (will need to use a vice grip as there is no flats for a spanner) but I believe when I will mount the factory top hat to the shock I will not be able to reach this section.

Thanks for the tips

Last edited by MR RIZK; 12-23-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
MR RIZK

Just an update. You cannot really use a impact tool to assemble the shocks because the length of the socket to reach the nut near the top hat will need to be too deep. A box wrench is the best option.

When you take off the adjuster dial at the top of the strut there is a flat/notch underneath that you can use to allow you to tighten the top nuts.

Thanks for ideas.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use an offset wrench to turn the nut and a wrench or Vise Grips on the center bolt.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 01-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM
MR RIZK

I need to buy a set of those.. My offsets were not offset as much as those ones..
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
are you doing it the "ghetto" way by shooting the top bolt into a trash can and catching the top mount as the spring uncompresses? or using a spring compressor?

typically on the top of the piston, there is a notch that you can grab a hold of using an adjustable wrench, and using an open wrench get the.. 12mm (or was it 14mm) bolt off so the piston doesn't spin.

time consuming yes, but you avoid any issues of over torquing the nut and stripping the top of the piston thread if u use air tools..
don't listen to chebosto...he's an SBC guy...He eats salad off his deck lid (and is WAY over invested in star wars).