Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

front rotors = one time use only ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
t1m1t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front rotors = one time use only ??

Is it true that the front rotors on the Z are one time use only? I need to get my pads changed and I'm told that I have to replace my front rotors when I get my pads changed out. The rears can be machined, so no new rotors for the rears. Is this true? I've searched and searched with no luck. Thanks for the help in advance
Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always reminds me of Johnny Carson show when Ed McMann would ask

“How thick are they Johnny?”

BTW great cost saving tool above.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 PM
t1m1t

I'm not sure if I asked the question correctly.

What I meant to say was, I was told that all Zs have to switch out their front rotors when they change the brake pads for the first time. Is this true? This is the first time I heard of this. I assumed both front and rears were able to be machined (resurfaced) since this will be my first brake pad change. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and you didn't understand his answer correctly.

but to elaborate: all solid brake rotors are reusable to a certain thickness. every time you change pads, you need to resurface the rotor to remove different pad deposits (if changing pad design) so you don't cause hot spots and so the pads bed properly. The dealership, for example, will measure the rotor thickness with that sweet guage David posted and then check the service manual to see what the acceptable range is. too thin and the brakes will not work properly and they will tell you to replace them (and usually provide the measurement on your work report)... you can normally get two to three pad changes out of a front rotor on the Z. more if you don't have pad deposit problems and they don't need to be turned too much to refresh them.

so the short answer: no, whoever told you that is a ****ing idiot.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM
t1m1t

Originally Posted by Motormouth
and you didn't understand his answer correctly.

but to elaborate: all solid brake rotors are reusable to a certain thickness. every time you change pads, you need to resurface the rotor to remove different pad deposits (if changing pad design) so you don't cause hot spots and so the pads bed properly. The dealership, for example, will measure the rotor thickness with that sweet guage David posted and then check the service manual to see what the acceptable range is. too thin and the brakes will not work properly and they will tell you to replace them (and usually provide the measurement on your work report)... you can normally get two to three pad changes out of a front rotor on the Z. more if you don't have pad deposit problems and they don't need to be turned too much to refresh them.

ah thanks man. thats what i thought too. the person that told me this is actually a shop that is well known around my area (i dont want to give out names due to possible attacks). it struck me kind of off when he told me about this though. i'm not ready to pay $100+ (each) for new rotors.

thanks again to both Davidv and Motormouth
Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

Always reminds me of Johnny Carson show when Ed McMann would ask

“How thick are they Johnny?”

BTW great cost saving tool above.
You are cheating with that fancy digital device. No fair...we use the manual models.

Rotors are definately reusable, provided they do not exceed the recommended minimumn thickness.

As a general rule of thumb, I would resurface one time max....then time for new rotors....speaking of OEM rotors.

If you are getting a brake job, you might consider just doing a Stop Tech stage II Upgrade and call it a day. 4 new slotted rotors, new pads, lines, and fluids all around: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=440
Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
t1m1t

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You are cheating with that fancy digital device. No fair...we use the manual models.

Rotors are definately reusable, provided they do not exceed the recommended minimumn thickness.

As a general rule of thumb, I would resurface one time max....then time for new rotors....speaking of OEM rotors.

If you are getting a brake job, you might consider just doing a Stop Tech stage II Upgrade and call it a day. 4 new slotted rotors, new pads, lines, and fluids all around: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=440
thanks for the heads up. i actually already got some new brake pads and fluids. when i need my next change, ill be sure to send u a pm!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

What the shop told you is RIGHT, since they dont want to do an half-*** brake job by just replacing the pads.

350z front rotors are just like most of the European car's brake rotors. The brake pads actually bite inside the rotor and leave alone the outer edge. So it cannot be resurfaced since it will break the bits on the brake lathe. HOWEVER, it can be reuse without resurfacing for 2-3 brake pads change, as long as the rotors have no hot spots and still true.

-Pat
Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Motormouth
Banned

even on the new 07 spec non-brembos? they are substantially thicker than the 03 versions.

thanks for that advice though... 1 time.. always be safer than sorry : )
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by pchio
What the shop told you is RIGHT, since they dont want to do an half-*** brake job by just replacing the pads.

350z front rotors are just like most of the European car's brake rotors. The brake pads actually bite inside the rotor and leave alone the outer edge. So it cannot be resurfaced since it will break the bits on the brake lathe. HOWEVER, it can be reuse without resurfacing for 2-3 brake pads change, as long as the rotors have no hot spots and still true.

-Pat
do you not have a 350z? do you work for the shop that this kid went to?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

even on the new 07 spec non-brembos? they are substantially thicker than the 03 versions.

thanks for that advice though... 1 time.. always be safer than sorry : )
It's a rule of thumb...nothing too scientific. Since the average street driver will get about 20-30K miles out of their pads, I figure it would be a prudent to change out the rotors at about 60K miles. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I didn't think about the mileage of a pad's life... at 60k miles on a set of solid rotors I would wonder about material fatigue. hmm.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
pchio

I have a 350z whith 70k mileage, so I know how the rotors are. and no I dont know which shop he went to. But I am a ASE certified mechanic and I do own a shop. The Z front rotors are not re-serviceable, even Nissan dealers will tell you the same thing.

I re-used my front rotors without resurfacing it for 2 brake pads replacement without any problems. It's all about the run-out limit and thickness left on the discs, thats why somebody above already mentioned to use a proper measurement tool to inspect the discs. If you are not sure, why risk your life by going cheap on one of the most important safety device? I bet your life worth much more than that.

-Pat

Last edited by pchio; 01-26-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
pchio

It's a rule of thumb...nothing too scientific. Since the average street driver will get about 20-30K miles out of their pads, I figure it would be a prudent to change out the rotors at about 60K miles. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.

I agree! Everyone has different driving style. Some brake a lot and hard, some drive on the freeway and rarely use their brakes. So the mileage vary, always have someone experienced to check the brakes instead of guessing it. My pads worn out completely in 2 track days lol

-Pat
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by pchio
I have a 350z whith 70k mileage, so I know how the rotors are. and no I dont know which shop he went to. But I am a ASE certified mechanic and I do own a shop. The Z front rotors are not re-serviceable, even Nissan dealers will tell you the same thing.

I re-used my front rotors without resurfacing it for 2 brake pads replacement without any problems. It's all about the run-out limit and thickness left on the discs, thats why somebody above already mentioned to use a proper measurement tool to inspect the discs. If you are not sure, why risk your life by going cheap on one of the most important safety device? I bet your life worth much more than that.

-Pat
it's funny that I have had my rotors resurfaced at the dealership and that nice little lip you are talking about, was gone. and I've had a different set of rotors turned at other machine shops.

and you just agreed with Sharif (below your quoted post) and says he resurfaces rotors.

you make no sense.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Happens all the time, the shop makes more money by selling you new rotors
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Happens all the time, the shop makes more money by selling you new rotors
Not all shops are like that, but I imagine the typical dealership or genereal mechanic (not a performance enthusiast), may try that oldest trick in the book.

Come in for an oil change, and leave with a $1000 bill of questionable repairs.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
t1m1t

just to clarify, i am 23
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Motormouth
Banned

i.e. kid

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
pchio

it's funny that I have had my rotors resurfaced at the dealership and that nice little lip you are talking about, was gone. and I've had a different set of rotors turned at other machine shops.

and you just agreed with Sharif (below your quoted post) and says he resurfaces rotors.

you make no sense.
It really depends on how deep the lips are. But for the most case, when the lips are deep enough, no shop will bother servicing it due to the risk of breaking the brake lathe bits. Different mechanics have different approach on cars. Some just dont care and let the brake lathe cut right through, leaving the next job stuck or some may spend quite a bit of time to sand down the lips before they resurface it.

Also, The documented total allowable wear on front 350z brake rotors is 2mm, so its like 1mm per side. By the time the brake pads is due, and the rotors have noticeable lips, it doesnt have much left for the cut. And if they careful enough and assuming they have a very good condition rotor lathe, and hoping they only need to do 1 cut, they maybe able to do it. I bet most of the shops, even dealer will not bother measuring the finish thickness at all, and you probably will not notice the rotors are below limit anyway.

I just agreed on what I have quoted on Sharif. What make no sense?

Last edited by pchio; 01-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: front rotors = one time use only ??