Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question-Neutral set up for handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
GC71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question-Neutral set up for handling

Hi All,

I juz updated my sig. with the addtional handling parts I have installed over the months for easy reference.

Current set up of coilovers(F18/32 R21/32), sway bar settings(middle hole both), tire pressure(F36 R34) have given the car a balanced feel.

Last month I added the Tanabe under brace and GT Spec mid-brace.
The increased stiffness of the chassis can be felt as the car turns in even better..i felt it was good enough already when i had put on sway bars and the GT spec front fender braces 4 mths before.

But the increased stiffness in the front and mid section has also made the rear tyres break traction noticebly easier. When i exit corners, the rear tends to throw abt 10-15mph earlier then it would if i had not put on the two braces..i am a bit surprised that this is the case as i thought stiffening the frontal area would make the car understeer rather then oversteer..

I must say though that so far, on the occasions that it goes into oversteer, it is pretty controllable and even fun too

But as its a daily driver, I prefer to set the car up a bit more neutral.

Am thinking of either :

1. Setting the rear sway bar softer by moving it one hole down to the softest setting.

2. Softening the F/R damper settings by abt 10% and lowering tire pressure F/R by 1-2 psi.

2. Setting the front sway bar stiffer by moving up to the stiffest setting

Just wondering what are the pro and cons of each option and which one is best if there is one.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Twenty4

drop your tire pressure to around 32 or 30psi
Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
plumpzz

Making the rear sway bar softer and changing the dampener would help the most. Try to increase rear traction instead of decreasing front traction.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
GC71

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Making the rear sway bar softer and changing the dampener would help the most. Try to increase rear traction instead of decreasing front traction.
When my setup was juz coilovers and i installed F/R braces with sway bars...with the F sway bar set in the middle hole and the R set at softest, for some reason, the VDC slip light would keep flashing when I took corners at falirly normal driving speeds and this would make the ecu cut engine power. When the R was set to mid stiffness, it did'nt happen..hence i am a little hesitant to go this route...not sure if the mid braces would have eliminated the symptom i descirbed above if i changed the R to the softest setting