Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Low cost big brake kit arrives!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 05:34 AM
jak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Wilwood, at last check = no dust shields.....not the best choice for a street car IMHO
You are misinformed. This kit is not a Wilwood kit it. It is a kit designed and produced by Precision Brakes and the enclosed instructions leave the dust shield intact.

I have read your many posts on brakes and know you are a vender that wants to sell StopTech by disparaging ALL other options. PLEASE OPEN YOUR OWN THREAD TO SELL YOUR STOPTECH KITS. This thread is about a kit produced by Precision Brake Company.

If you have any questions about this kit please ask rather than give out misinformation.

Thank you
Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 AM
CSHFLW

they show a price of 1850 though?? Would any be able to get that kit for $1100?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 AM
CSHFLW

they also don't show a 14" rotor.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM
350zroadster

Originally posted by jak
You are misinformed. This kit is not a Wilwood kit it. It is a kit designed and produced by Precision Brakes and the enclosed instructions leave the dust shield intact.

I have read your many posts on brakes and know you are a vender that wants to sell StopTech by disparaging ALL other options. PLEASE OPEN YOUR OWN THREAD TO SELL YOUR STOPTECH KITS. This thread is about a kit produced by Precision Brake Company.

If you have any questions about this kit please ask rather than give out misinformation.

Thank you
Jeff
yeah seriously, people ought not to come into other people's thread to bash a product just because it competes with their's. Create a thread, leave the product review thread alone.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:41 AM
jak

Originally posted by CSHFLW
they also don't show a 14" rotor.
I looked on their website and don't see the kit on the web page either. When I ordered mine I had to call them and they designed the kit at that time.

I would think they would eventually get the kit on the webpage but untill then you could call. Ask for Mark or Daryl or I think the other guys name is Jona. They are great guys to talk to and can answer any questions.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 09:51 AM
jak

I just talked to the guys at Precision Brakes and I was told my rear kits will be here in about 10 days. I will post some pics of those when I get them.

I can't wait to install these and give them a good test.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 09:51 AM
little_rod

Guys, it is always good to hear the good and the bad about a kit, regardless of the source. JMO, cause I want to know.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:15 AM
jak

Originally posted by little_rod
Guys, it is always good to hear the good and the bad about a kit, regardless of the source. JMO, cause I want to know.
I agree but with this kit there is NO info yet because the kit I have is the only one in existance and it hasn't been installed yet. How can anybody else say this or that about a kit they have never seen? So any info being provided by individuals or vendors with an agenda is just misinformation.

I will get as many specs and detailed impresions posted as I can when they get them installed.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 05:12 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by jak
I think what he meant to say was that the Wilwood calipers don't have any dust boots on the pistons.

It's certainly possible that these have been modified for street use by machining the caliper body and using different pistons to accept rubber piston boots.

Also, you will NOT "warp" the rotor by tightening one of the hat mounting screws a couple of lb-ft tighter than the others. That would be one flexible rotor if 2 lb-ft of torque could distort it. That being said, it is a good idea to use a torque wrench and to carefully tighten the hardware per the included instructions. 18 lb-ft is not much and you could easily damage the hardware if you do it blindly by hand.

If this kit uses floating rotors with hardware similar to the McLaren clips used by Brembo, then the following link may be helpful: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Brembo/Rotor_Replacement.htm

Good luck with the installation! Will be interested to hear how the kit performs.

Last edited by DZeckhausen; 09-09-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:13 PM
DZeckhausen

Old 09-11-2003, 07:43 AM
little_rod

Any info on this yet??

*Bump*
Old 09-11-2003, 08:27 AM
jak

Originally posted by little_rod
Any info on this yet??

*Bump*
I should have the rear kits end of next week and and everything installed the week after. I will keep everyone updated.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Eric1h

any updates? and do they still have the kits for $1100?
Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 AM
jak

Originally posted by Eric1h
any updates? and do they still have the kits for $1100?
I talked to Precision Brakes last week and they said they will be shipping the rear kit to me this Friday so I should have it sometime next week. I will have the entire kit installed shortly after that and post my impressions etc.

I would check with Dayrl Armstrong at Precision Brakes to get the retail pricing. Actually any of the guys there are great so they would be able to help. I know that they also do group buys.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2003, 07:52 AM
mcclaskz

I talked to them today, and the price for this 14", 6 piston kit is $2300, NOT $1100. Looks like I'm back to the Stoptech 14" kit...
Old 09-23-2003, 08:34 AM
little_rod

Originally posted by mcclaskz
I talked to them today, and the price for this 14", 6 piston kit is $2300, NOT $1100. Looks like I'm back to the Stoptech 14" kit...
Man, is that just for the front kit??

I thought that jak got the front and rear kit for $1100, but I guess that might be too good to be true.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:09 AM
little_rod

Yep, I just talked to them, they say $2300 for JUST the front kit, lol. Just as well get the stoptechs for that price. He said he didn't know where we had gotten $1100, he had asked his engineer and they didn't know anything about it. Maybe the change in their website changed their price, heh. All I know is that is way too much money, and the stock brakes are doing me fine, lol.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:32 AM
jak

Wow. I can't believe that is what they want retail for the kits. I paid $1100.00 for the front kit only and the rears are on the way at an additional cost. I do have to reiterate that I got a discount to be one the first with this brake setup, to help the company get the word out with a real brake kit on a real car. In return I would write a review good or bad.

If $2300.00 for the front kit only holds true, my initial review will start leaning to the bad more than the good.

When I started this endeavor I was led to believe that the brake kits by Precision Brakes were offered as lower cost alternatives to the high buck competitors without sacrificing performance and in most cases improving performance over the competitors.

When I get the complete kit and I get it installed I will contact the guys at Precision Brakes and get all of the pricing, options, etc. and include that info in my review so we will all know for sure.

Should be in another week or so.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2003, 09:49 AM
mcclaskz

Jeff, thanks for the interest and for the upcoming review. Just to point out on price, I just got a quote for $2450 for the 4 piston, 14" Stoptech kit. No offense, but I would feel better buying a tested Stoptech kit for $150 extra. I need piece of mind when slamming on the brakes at 130mph a few times a lap...
Old 09-23-2003, 10:21 AM
jak

Originally posted by mcclaskz
Jeff, thanks for the interest and for the upcoming review. Just to point out on price, I just got a quote for $2450 for the 4 piston, 14" Stoptech kit. No offense, but I would feel better buying a tested Stoptech kit for $150 extra. I need piece of mind when slamming on the brakes at 130mph a few times a lap...
I totally agree. At $2300.00, practically the same price as StopTechs (which have proven test data), I wouldn't buy these either and would buy StopTechs.

The thing of it is that when I started into this whole thing the retail of these kits wasn't supose to be anywhere near this price. This is what they were supose to sell for:https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=brake

So when I do the review I will pin down the actual prices with the owner of the company and hopefully Z owners will have a lower priced option rather than only the StopTech option.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Low cost big brake kit arrives!