Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

did some brake work today and now my TPMS light is permanently on!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default did some brake work today and now my TPMS light is permanently on!

today, I pulled all of my rotors to get them "turned down" a bit. I had a shake under braking and figured that one of more of the rotors was warped. turned out that just my passenger rear rotor was warped.

also, while I had the front rotors out, I decided to install the optional 2 degree camber plates that come with the SPC front camber/caster arms. I had been running the SPC arms for a long time with no issues, but I like to run as much caster as possible and I couldn't get the camber straight enough with full caster dialed. so, I installed the additonal 2 degree plates and brackets.

anyways, the install was perfectly fine.

the problem I have is that my Tire Pressure Monitoring System light is permanently lit up. It won't go away. I have aftermarket wheels and don't have any TPMS sensors in the wheels. It has been this way for over 3 years. previously, the TPMS light would only come on about about 50 mile of highway (continuous) driving. that was fine, but I don't like having this light on all the time on the dash.

Does anyone have any inight as to the problem? I'm not sure how they could possibly be related? One other note........my battery died while I had the car on the lift and I used my shop charger to charge the battery after the install was done. do you think the TPMS could have shorted out or something similar when the battery died or during charging?

Help! thanks, Andrew
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly. But there is a chance that when your battery died, your cars TPMS computer could have lost it's "memory". And when you hooked up the charger and it started getting power again, it did a "search" for your TPMS sensors, since you don't have them on the car it might have picked up the signal from another car in the shop that had TPMS. So whenever you left it lost the signal from the other tires and thats why your light is on.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
QuadCam

there are no other cards in my shop. It is my personal shop.....just a playground for my car basically. :-)

I could try putting the stock wheels back on go for a drive and then swap them out again.......always worth a shot.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 AM
grumpysmurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
there are no other cards in my shop. It is my personal shop.....just a playground for my car basically. :-)

I could try putting the stock wheels back on go for a drive and then swap them out again.......always worth a shot.
that didnt work for me. once I put on new wheels, the light came on and is on all the time, as soon as the car is started. Weeks later I put the stocks back on and it didn't relearn it. I just tune it out now.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by grumpysmurf
that didnt work for me. once I put on new wheels, the light came on and is on all the time, as soon as the car is started. Weeks later I put the stocks back on and it didn't relearn it. I just tune it out now.
well, that sux. anyone know how to reset the TPMS without a Consult? or does anyone know which fuse controls it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
warmmilk

you can always take apart the gauge cluster and pull out the light bulb...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
sik350

Same here! My light would come on after 45 mins of driving, But the other day i went to my car and the light was on. I hate it cause, i have to push the gauge pod button 3 times, everytime i get in to see the digital speed gauge.