Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

eiback prokit VS tanabe GF210

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front what i have learned, and im not 100% sure about this....If you drop the car anything less than 1" all the way around (WHAT CAR ACTUALLY SITS AT AFTER INSTALL, NOT ADVERTISED DROP) you wont need to get a camber kit. Anything lower than 1" then you have to start messing with the cambers and shocks DEF required. As i said, not too sure but i believe this is correct.

...im sure if im wrong i'll hear about it.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
jasabeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youll be fine on stock shocks.aftermarket shocks would handle alot better.. you dont have to get a camber kit it will make your tires last longer... without them all it does is wear the tread on one side of the tire
Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Well if i planned on getting the nf210's would it be in my tires best interest to get the rear arms, or would just bolts suffice? I know this is impossible to answer seeing as how EVERY car sits different once they settle but i just want a setup that will treat the car right.

I know toe is what kills tires anyway, so changing bolts wouldnt seem like it would do much for that +-1,2 change, plus the Z comes with much negative camber with the stock setup anyway.

What would be the optimal setup while budgeting to at least half or so the cost of coilovers?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
jimpactmfsc

i put in my eibach pro kit at about 4,000 miles ago,got my second alighment yesterday now that the springs are settled, my fronts are both -1.5, rears are -2.5 and -2.1,toe is good to go
Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
danimaldaisy

UNBELIEVABLE how everyone ignores my warning on tanabe.

well you WILL be dissapointed....200 dollars for the springs plus installation and an alignment=an expensive mistake!!!!!!

i would like everyone to know that the TRASHMAN picked them up this morning
Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by danimaldaisy

well you WILL be dissapointed....200 dollars for the springs plus installation and an alignment=an expensive mistake!!!!!!

Were you running GF's or NF's?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by jimpactmfsc
i put in my eibach pro kit at about 4,000 miles ago,got my second alighment yesterday now that the springs are settled, my fronts are both -1.5, rears are -2.5 and -2.1,toe is good to go

Just springs? Everything else stock? Heard the pro-kit is very street friendly.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
jimpactmfsc

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Just springs? Everything else stock? Heard the pro-kit is very street friendly.
yep just springs, stock everything else,ride is still great.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimpactmfsc
Just a few questions, please:

Do you have a camber/toe kit?
What rim size/offset and tire size are you running?

Thanks!

Edit: Should have scrolled to the remainder of the thread! whoops.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
danimaldaisy

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Were you running GF's or NF's?
GF210's......but the NF is weaker than the GF

you guys really need to look into something else.

the ONLY thing i can suggest would be the tokico d-specs with the tokico springs...1.25 inch drop all the way around on LINEAR springs.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:43 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GF210's......but the NF is weaker than the GF

you guys really need to look into something else.

the ONLY thing i can suggest would be the tokico d-specs with the tokico springs...1.25 inch drop all the way around on LINEAR springs.
Your experience has not been the norm.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the tanabe GF210 on my Z. Love them. Handling has improved, and ride quality is a bit stiffer. Had them on for 12,000 miles.

I installed the springs myself, so I know the installation went smoothly.

Maybe whomever installed your springs forgot to tighten the lower shock mount bolts (or upper spring perch bolts), didn't fully seat the front springs, or put the rear springs in upside down (which may compromise handling).

It could be the shocks you bought were not valved correctly from the factory (it happens).

Also keep in mind that these springs will settle over the course of 2 weeks or so. When I first put the car back on the ground after the install, I could only see a .5" or so drop (my car lowered another .5 inch after a week or two).

Tanabe has been around since 1982, and is one of the most respected import aftermarket brands in the world. They make excellent race-proven products (springs, coilovers, sway bars, exhausts, etc).

You are the only person I've ever known of that has had an issue with any Tanabe product.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:29 AM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by beetlejuice
I have the tanabe GF210 on my Z. Love them. Handling has improved, and ride quality is a bit stiffer. Had them on for 12,000 miles.

Maybe whomever installed your springs forgot to tighten the lower shock mount bolts (or upper spring perch bolts), didn't fully seat the front springs, or put the rear springs in upside down (which may compromise handling).

It could be the shocks you bought were not valved correctly from the factory (it happens).

Also keep in mind that these springs will settle over the course of 2 weeks or so. When I first put the car back on the ground after the install, I could only see a .5" or so drop (my car lowered another .5 inch after a week or two).

Tanabe has been around since 1982, and is one of the most respected import aftermarket brands in the world. They make excellent race-proven products (springs, coilovers, sway bars, exhausts, etc).

You are the only person I've ever known of that has had an issue with any Tanabe product.
are you running just springs and the rest stock
Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 AM
beetlejuice

I am running the GF210 with stock shocks. I have an '05 Touring with about 34,000 miles. If your mileage is higher, or your car has been driven hard, you may need to swap out the stock shocks.

I don't track my car. Mostly commute with a bit of spirited driving here and there. If I were going for a track oriented setup, I would get coilovers (probably Tanabe to be honest).

I had Tanabe coilovers (Pro S-OC type II) on my 240sx with no complaints.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:47 AM
jasabeast

I am running the GF210 with stock shocks. I have an '05 Touring with about 34,000 miles. If your mileage is higher, or your car has been driven hard, you may need to swap out the stock shocks.

I don't track my car. Mostly commute with a bit of spirited driving here and there. If I were going for a track oriented setup, I would get coilovers (probably Tanabe to be honest).

Sweet i have an 06 with 26,000 miles on it and i dont track it... usually dont even run it that hard... so i should be good plan on putting them on this wed.. you got any pics of your ride man?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
danimaldaisy

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Your experience has not been the norm.
Doesn't matter.

These springs suck *****. (EDIT) on an 05-06 Z

Last edited by danimaldaisy; 05-26-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
danimaldaisy

To be Honest with you...my expectations were VERY high...and i was VERY dissapointed.....Most likely i just don't like the feel of progressive springs...I like the way linear sprigs feel (my preference) and the stock springs were linear...I did the install my self....in fact i have been swapping stuff like a ****.

went from blown stock to KYB GR-2's which sucked badly cause the compression was only 1/3 of my worn out stock struts.....Then tokico blues....Better then GR-@ but NOT nearly as good as stock...and now on D-spec (I really am not sure I like the way they valve these struts)

springs...

went from Tanabe....to Cobb (fitment issues REALLY disappointed me cause they had potential) and now RS-R

I must have torn my suspension apart 8 times....and every time i took it to the dealer for an alignment...the mechanic said everything was tightened to spec (even the mechanic feels i know what i am doing)

I even have Hotchkis sways....I have full adjustability except ride height.....

The
Tanabe's are just not for me.

My recommendation for the NEWBIE would be to get the D-spec kit that comes with the springs.

Most newbs want to really lower their car....at least the will get linear springs with spring rates that match front and rear and all they have to do is adjust the valving on the struts evenly all the way around until it feels exactly how they expect it to.

You cant really loose on this setup.

Unfortunately since Cobb cant seem to manufacture their front springs correctly they are out of the picture...this leaves either RS-R or the Tokico springs as far as linear springs are considered.....Or an even better choice would be the KONI's with the RS-R's or the D-spec springs....

after this....you are in coil over territory.

Do a massive search on progressive springs.....NOBODY is running Progressive springs at the Track in a Z....many will say "but i don't plan on tracking my z"

my response is "But don't you still want it to handle good on the street?"

pavement is pavement.

Don't take my advise as gold.....just don't want anyone to end up hating their ride after paying someone to swap in their springs.

I have an 05 with the revised suspension......progressive springs suck on this car....

the 03-04 unrevised may handle differently as well as the 07-08

my experience is with the 05-06.....hope this helps target the problem.....

Last edited by danimaldaisy; 05-26-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
danimaldaisy

That's because that coil over kit had LINEAR springs.

Can i please get a show of hands for those who know the difference between LINEAR and PROGRESSIVE! LOL!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
beetlejuice

That's because that coil over kit had LINEAR springs.

Can i please get a show of hands for those who know the difference between LINEAR and PROGRESSIVE! LOL!

I knew the difference around 1989. A very long time before google.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
danimaldaisy

I knew the difference around 1989. A very long time before google.
Sorry

The show of hands thing was directed towards the newbs.

Quick Reply: eiback prokit VS tanabe GF210