Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front Bushing Failure??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
deviljon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could this possibly be the issue i am facing if i am starting to hear a tire/rubber rubbing sound when the car is angled on a driveway or turning? my car is slammed and it was fine for about 2 years with no rub but i just recently started hearing these noises. the car drives perfectly straight still so i think the alignment is alright
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
bryrap

i'm going through the same crap with my 03 with 55k on it, ordered the nismo bushings from rhd, a japenese company. They have the nismo bushings for the transverse link were in stock. It was a bit pricey, 90 for the set(2) shipped. Better than possibly waiting six months from my nismo but just found out about these from noltech oh well.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have NISMO's in my own car, since that was all that was available at the time
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I have NISMO's in my own car, since that was all that was available at the time
I think he's asking about the brand of urethane ones in the 280.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I think he's asking about the brand of urethane ones in the 280.
yes, thats what i'm asking, sorry for the confusion
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

sorry I don't remember..it was done a long time ago
Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
The Noltec bushings are polyurethane (essentially the same as urethane). Not to be argumentative but as far as your experience, it really comes down to the quality of the bushings you use. There are crappy polyurethane bushings and excellent polyurethane bushings. For example, we have been running polyurethane bushings in Adam's 600+hp 280zx for over 10 years without any issues and thats just one of the shop cars that we have completely outfitted with urethane/polyurethane bushings without any issues.

I have recently ordered all of the Noltec (Noltec, Whiteline and Nolathane were all bought out by Red Ranger and are the same company. Noltec = Whiteline Plus) bushings for my car. I wont be able to post a review for some time however due to the fact that the rear subframe bushings wont be in the U.S. for some time.

For anyone looking to purchase any of the bushings we have a of couple sets available, with the exception of the subframe bushing.

Front Bushings:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3783

Rear Bushings:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3784

"The Noltec bushings are polyurethane (essentially the same as urethane)."

While that may be the case for products that come down the pipeline after the company was sold, prior to that point the Noltec bushings are make from a polyester and nylon blend. The Noltech site when it was still in operation went to great lengths do discribe how they were NOT polyurathane, further mentioning that the product offered the durability, yet with greater compliance and less harshness vs polyurathane.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutt
Thanks for the pics Gsedan35 and Spork! Much appreciated and I think these pics will be very beneficial to people in the future who go through this!

Gsedan35...how are the Noltec bushings treating you?

Gsedan35, also where did you purchase the Noltec's from? Thanks...

Your welcome

They are working great.

I bought them from www.performanceshock.com
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
"The Noltec bushings are polyurethane (essentially the same as urethane)."

While that may be the case for products that come down the pipeline after the company was sold, prior to that point the Noltec bushings are make from a polyester and nylon blend. The Noltech site when it was still in operation went to great lengths do discribe how they were NOT polyurathane, further mentioning that the product offered the durability, yet with greater compliance and less harshness vs polyurathane.
so are the new noltech bushings the same polyurathane as all the other bushings out there?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

short of each manufacturer giving you the recipes, I don't think there is anyway to chase down that info.

When I contacted Whiteline about the compounds, this is what they said:

"Adam - The Whiteline Plus range of bushes use the latest Polyurethane technologies and are a completely revised compound from the Noltec Polyester bushes. The Whiteline Plus Polyurethane is a much more durable compound that offers better performance characteristics in high load situations while still remaining supple at low speed/light load conditions."
Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Mutt

I ended up going with the Whiteline Plus bushings. Whiteline Plus Urethane Front Lower Inner Control Arm Bushings 2002-2008 350Z (Pair) and while I was swapping those out decided to also get the Whiteline Plus Urethane Front Shock Absorber - Control Arm (Lower Shock Bush) 2003-2008 350Z(Pair).

Much props to Adam and Z1!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mutt
I ended up going with the Whiteline Plus bushings. Whiteline Plus Urethane Front Lower Inner Control Arm Bushings 2002-2008 350Z (Pair) and while I was swapping those out decided to also get the Whiteline Plus Urethane Front Shock Absorber - Control Arm (Lower Shock Bush) 2003-2008 350Z(Pair).

Much props to Adam and Z1!!
Cool, I'd love to hear how they work out. It's likely my bushings will fail again and then I'll either go with my Nismo bushings or go with a setup like yours.

+1 Adam Z1 good people
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
deviljon

are there any noticeable sounds when the bushing fails?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

mine made 0 noise - we noticed it was completely torn when we went to install my roll center kit
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Mutt

Update...the bushings are working out great! I am definitely liking the Whiteline Plus products!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting, I saw this on my front lower control arm as well recently when getting my alignment done.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm... I have always been wary of urethane bushings. As someone else posted, the properties of the polyurethane can be varied to accommodate the desired specifications of hardness, compression, and tensile strength. The trouble is finding a company that has done this well. Deciding on a poly bushing set is usually left up to trial and error and the user's end goals. Too hard and they may crack on rough roads, too soft and they lose lubrication from play, etc... I suppose I will have to wait to hear more reviews of the Whiteline before buying.

The main concern I have is in regards to lubricating the bushings. I have seen some newer designs incorporate scoring on the inner face to retain the grease, but I doubt this to be a permanent solution. Of course, as this thread is in response to, rubber bushings wear out and are not a permanent solution, either. However; there is something to be said about the use of a harder durometer rubber to manage increased longitudinal loads while also providing the necessary rotational properties required for the joint without lubrication needs. As it is, I still lean towards the NISMO bushings for this reason.

I would think the poly-nylon blend Gsedan35 is using to be my ideal. Being a more familiar engineered material, it hosts the necessary rotational and lubrication properties without the shearing risk presented with a polyurethane bushing run dry. Perhaps the material is not as durable with the obvious compromise in compression needed for street duty, and that's why it isn't as popular.

Will
Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
andrew16639

Exclamation

how do you change the transversal link bushing.
Please post link or step by step instuctions.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

as best I can recall, you need to have a press, or a shop with access to a press. Otherwise, it's not a DIY
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had left lower fail and right upper fail. Unfortunately the bushing could not just be replaced the entire arm had to be replaced. Fortunately even though the car was lowered it was still covered under warranty. Dropping off the car this coming Monday 4/13/09 to have it installed. Just received the call this morning that the parts came in.

This was brought to my attn by my alignment shop. They could not align the front because of this issue.

Quick Reply: Front Bushing Failure??