Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Anyone using Ksport or Megan Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Megan and Ksport is high school ricer Honda ****. Do us all a favor and go get a Civic hatch or a 240 if you want to cheap out on parts.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
god350z

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
Megan and Ksport is high school ricer Honda ****. Do us all a favor and go get a Civic hatch or a 240 if you want to cheap out on parts.

Yeah ill probably do that you know since i drive an 06 touring twin turbo z you flipping moron!!!!!

that is the reason i mostly dislike this site...for people/**** bags like you who who just run your mouth to get a post count!!!!

don't think i said anywhere "HEY IM GETTING THESE COILOVERS CAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST"!!!! simply asking a question **** bag.

And the 240 is one of the best nissans ever! don't be jealous cause i had a 480whp 2jz s13 as well!!!!

no go suck a dude
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by god350z
Yeah ill probably do that you know since i drive an 06 touring twin turbo z you flipping moron!!!!!

that is the reason i mostly dislike this site...for people/**** bags like you who who just run your mouth to get a post count!!!!

don't think i said anywhere "HEY IM GETTING THESE COILOVERS CAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST"!!!! simply asking a question **** bag.

And the 240 is one of the best nissans ever! don't be jealous cause i had a 480whp 2jz s13 as well!!!!

no go suck a dude
Maybe if you learn to construct a cohesive sentence, you'll get better responses. I really don't care that you drive an old *** car with a 2JZ in it. If you think that makes you hot ****, then I don't really know what to tell you.

The fact that even considered buying these tells me you probably don't know what you're talking about or doing, and no amount of name dropping or telling me how baller (lol ) you are is going to change that.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
god350z

yeah if you could read i have said i know nothing about coils...
had tein ss on my 240...other than that nothing!
so go **** off broke ***!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM
god350z

^morons like this that make this forum ****!
but thanks to the "adults" for all their help!

ive narrowed it down to KW Variants 3 - HKS HYPERMAX 2 or 3's - Zero 2's
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
tribal_visionz

^I agree. I'll take Stance GR+ shipped to 20111 or ill take whatever you decide on. I say kw if you want a daily drive ride.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
RevengeM.S.
Banned

Not trying to sell anything here -unbiased Opinion- Megans are ****. k-sports aren't bad for the price fitment/spring rate/dampening 6.5 on 1-10 scale. We've installed many k-sports on various makes and models not a z though. I don't sell them personally. If i was to buy a coil over setup i would go with a more tried and true setup. IE Tein, JIC, Moton ETC. If the pocket book promits.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I with Adam@Z1 on this one. The I haven't seen one brand of coil system that is priced at $1000 or less, that wasn't utter crap. Typically, they are over sprung, and underdamped, resulting in a rough, and bouncy ride.

I've tried just about all of the coilovers out there, and I am of the opinion, that if you are on a budget, just stick to some lowering springs. Or spend the money for good coilovers. My favorite for street, and light track use, is the KW Variant 3 which are double adjustsable. Absolutely flawless ride and handling out of the box, and ZERO noises or rattles of any kind.

If you are serious about tracking your car, then you own it to yourself, to skip all the street stuff, in move up to something like a KW Club Sport, JRZ RS Pro, or TEIN SRC.

But as someone mentioned, it's important for us to know what you goals and intended use for the vehicle are. If you are just going for a lower look, then drop some springs in there, and call it a day.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In order

Anze Engineering Penske 8300's vavling to your specs built into purchase price. You have a ton internal option's to get that valving as you wish, not to mention their are many places that work on the product when you need service, parts are also a non issue.

Ohlins DFV revalved by Naake with Penske 8360 canisters added. Another product that has many internal part choices avaliable and several location's across the country that works on the product.

JRZ RS Pro (ONLY when dyno sheets are provided and a hysteresis loop is shown)

Truechoice Phase 4 coilovers. Valving R&D by the Unitech 350Z Grand am team. At the bottom of the list because they do have some hysteresis issues ( I did dyno mine).

I will not touch the Clubsports, way too much hysteresis in the variant 2's I dyno'd.

I will not touch the Tein SRC, the guy that does their revalving in the states, only speaks Japaneese, you can't even talk to the man to tell him what you want done. IMO they are priced where other choices make more sense anyhow.

From Dennis Grants web site

Buying Shocks
Remember this list:

Bilstein
Penske
Koni
Ohlins
Sachs
Dynamic Suspension
Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.

Perhaps I should elaborate a little.

For a while, I was the shock engineer for a race team, and was designing, building, and rebuilding shock packages for customers. A big part of this service was running customer shocks on the dyno to set a baseline for where they were currently at. I dynoed a couple of hundred shocks, representing the spread of almost every shock brand extant.

(All the shock dyno plots on this page came off my dyno.)

Amazingly, save those brands mentioned in that earlier list, this was a non-stop parade of horror, including, but not limited to:

Adjusters that did absolutely nothing;
Adjusters that had more crosstalk effect than they had primary effect (ie, a rebound adjuster where 1 click made a 10% change in rebound and a 30% change in compression);
Adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential;
Adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range (in one example, "full hard" was softer than "full soft");

Shimstacks assembled upside-down;
Sets of shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged;
Shocks valved with forces that were insane (1600 lbs/in @ 3 in/sec was the record);
Shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike;
Shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting, depending on if you got there by going harder or softer; and
Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)
The only shock brands I worked with that actually did what they said they would do were the shocks on that list - and even then, they had their quirks:
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I think his list could use a few additions....but I agree with what you are saying.

But I am making the assumption, that the OP is using this car on the street, and might do a couple of DE's.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
In order

Anze Engineering Penske 8300's vavling to your specs built into purchase price. You have a ton internal option's to get that valving as you wish, not to mention their are many places that work on the product when you need service, parts are also a non issue.

Ohlins DFV revalved by Naake with Penske 8360 canisters added. Another product that has many internal part choices avaliable and several location's across the country that works on the product.

JRZ RS Pro (ONLY when dyno sheets are provided and a hysteresis loop is shown)

Truechoice Phase 4 coilovers. Valving R&D by the Unitech 350Z Grand am team. At the bottom of the list because they do have some hysteresis issues ( I did dyno mine).

I will not touch the Clubsports, way too much hysteresis in the variant 2's I dyno'd.

I will not touch the Tein SRC, the guy that does their revalving in the states, only speaks Japaneese, you can't even talk to the man to tell him what you want done. IMO they are priced where other choices make more sense anyhow.

From Dennis Grants web site

Buying Shocks
Remember this list:

Bilstein
Penske
Koni
Ohlins
Sachs
Dynamic Suspension
Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.

Perhaps I should elaborate a little.

For a while, I was the shock engineer for a race team, and was designing, building, and rebuilding shock packages for customers. A big part of this service was running customer shocks on the dyno to set a baseline for where they were currently at. I dynoed a couple of hundred shocks, representing the spread of almost every shock brand extant.

(All the shock dyno plots on this page came off my dyno.)

Amazingly, save those brands mentioned in that earlier list, this was a non-stop parade of horror, including, but not limited to:

Adjusters that did absolutely nothing;
Adjusters that had more crosstalk effect than they had primary effect (ie, a rebound adjuster where 1 click made a 10% change in rebound and a 30% change in compression);
Adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential;
Adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range (in one example, "full hard" was softer than "full soft");

Shimstacks assembled upside-down;
Sets of shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged;
Shocks valved with forces that were insane (1600 lbs/in @ 3 in/sec was the record);
Shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike;
Shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting, depending on if you got there by going harder or softer; and
Shocks that adjusted rebound and compression in lockstep, but had so much compression that backing them down to reasonable levels made rebound way too soft (very common with the Japanese brands like GAB, JIC, Tein, etc)
The only shock brands I worked with that actually did what they said they would do were the shocks on that list - and even then, they had their quirks:

LOL

JIM = FTMFW!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM
warmmilk

rough cost for this? i wasn't able to find a price on their site, maybe i'm just a noob...

why revalved and why the new canisters? whats wrong with keeping them as they come? and why specifically Naake, whats so special about them? rough cost on revalving and the panske canisters?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I think his list could use a few additions....but I agree with what you are saying.

But I am making the assumption, that the OP is using this car on the street, and might do a couple of DE's.
Oh heck no, not a op recommended list, figured you'd understand it was a follow on to your your serious track list, You and I are on the same page re sub $1000 coilovers
Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Oh heck no, not a op recommended list, figured you'd understand it was a follow on to your your serious track list, You and I are on the same page re sub $1000 coilovers
I am curious to your thoughts on JRZ Competition Triples..not the RS Pro's. Everything I have heard thus far, as been positive, but interested to see if you know something I don't. I know each one is dyno'ed before it leaves the assembly shop in Holland.

We are running them on our GT-R:

Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
SchismX

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Cusco Zero2

well under $2k (right @ $1600 shipped) and LIGHTYEARS better than anything mentioned so far
+1. I got mine for $1100 used, so far so good.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
warmmilk

Gsedan35, no answer on my question in post 32
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pm Jim (Gsedan35) directly, to get a faster response. He's very helpful in regards to suspension questions.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
warmmilk

^thanks, i'll pm him if he doesn't respond to this for a while
Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Greddy is the ****. I have it and stiff as a mother****er. i can take crazy offramps, 60+ without any body roll.