Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

AP racing 14.25s = RUST

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Zume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AP racing 14.25s = RUST

Had AP's big brake kit on my car for about 2 years ~ less than 10K miles. Black with yellow lettering. All 8 front caliper ...4 per side thru bolts (allen hex head) now totally rusty. AP totally non-supportive. Stillen...Brake-Pros says bolts not removable per Sharif per "Dean" @ Stillen.

What do I do? This is totally BS IMO... I am completely meticulous about the cleaning of my car. To wash wheels I completely remove them from the hubs. I do this ~ once or twice a month.

Talked to Kyle Millen...Steve's son...he seemed genuinely caring and concerned...I'll see. Previously, my dozen or so calls to Stillen were a joke...basically a FU attitude.

I am told to metal brush them and paint them...with what a nano brush?...If this is what they need I will gladly ship them to Stillen @ my expense and they can do what it takes to make them right.

The support of these "big" after market companies HKS, GReddy... is so bad that I will say if I had to do this over again I would steer clear of all Jap cars.

Last edited by Zume; 03-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

no good man....
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Zume
The support of these "big" after market companies HKS, GReddy... is so bad that I will say if I had to do this over again I would steer clear of all Jap cars.
whats this have to do with japanese cars? AP is a british company and makes brakes for cars of all makes (well not all, but alot), not just japanese cars
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zume
Had AP's big brake kit on my car for about 2 years ~ less than 10K miles. Black with yellow lettering. All 8 front caliper ...4 per side thru bolts (allen hex head) now totally rusty. AP totally non-supportive. Stillen...Brake-Pros says bolts not removable per Sharif per "Dean" @ Stillen.

What do I do? This is totally BS IMO... I am completely meticulous about the cleaning of my car. To wash wheels I completely remove them from the hubs. I do this ~ once or twice a month.

Talked to Kyle Millen...Steve's son...he seemed genuinely caring and concerned...I'll see. Previously, my dozen or so calls to Stillen were a joke...basically a FU attitude.

I am told to metal brush them and paint them...with what a nano brush?...If this is what they need I will gladly ship them to Stillen @ my expense and they can do what it takes to make them right.

post pictures of said rust.

to metal brush and paint them is not that hard. if you can clean a bbq grille, you can do this.

as far as the steering clear of japanese cars.. what does rusty bolts on an aftermarket brake kit have to do with anything Japanese OEM car mfg?

you coulda gotten AP racing kit for a Vette and this probably woulda happened too.

fail on logic.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

So does it effect the stopping performance on the track?? Bolts rust, siht happens, and girls will never notice a little rust.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 AM
kyle@stillen
Sponsor
Stillen

Zume-

I have left you a voicemail and just sent you an email but since you want to discuss this in the public forum I will do the same.

AP Racing is a british made caliper. They are the caliper of choice for most Formula One, NASCAR, WRC, and Indy car race teams around the world.

When you and I spoke on the phone you told me that you did take your car to a detailer ONCE and they cleaned your wheels with a very aggressive wheel cleaner that you and I both agreed could have dried out and cracked the dust covers for the bleeders. Which I responded with "no problem, we've got these new covers, I'll go ahead and send some out to you at no charge."

After that issue was addressed we moved on to the corrosion on the inside of the bridge bolts. This is when I suggested that you clean them with a wire brush, or some sand paper and spray a little black VHT paint in there. Again, we seemed to both agree that the corrosion was more than likely caused by the overly aggressive wheel cleaner that your detailer used on the car.

After reviewing your photos again, it looks like the corrosion on the inside of the bridge bolts could easily be caused by standing water after you meticulously clean your vehicle. I would recommend driving the car every now and then. Standing water will cause corrosion to form anywhere.

On the voicemail I left for you I left you my phone number. I look forward to speaking with you again and hopefully coming to a quick resolution.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Looks good to me?

And who still says "jap cars" and blame the whole industry for an aftermarket part?
Maybe you should have stuck with your domestic.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice, another worthless bash. From the looks of it, they're working with you and you're in here making an attempt to disrupt their sales.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
whosdady

Yet another Stillen rust issue... surprise surprise.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whosdady
Yet another Stillen rust issue... surprise surprise.
Its not a Stillen issue - the calipers are from AP. Its not really even an issue as far a performance is concerned. Its just a cosmetic thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
scrantonz33

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
^^^ Looks good to me?

And who still says "jap cars" and blame the whole industry for an aftermarket part?
Maybe you should have stuck with your domestic.
Yup go buy a mustang, i hear the chicks dig the red on red rag tops.