Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake size and maring with work XD9 18"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 AM
ThE_JacO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake size and maring with work XD9 18"

Hi,

Did a bit of searching but without much luck.
I was wondering if anybody's got any ideas of what size rotor and kind of calipers will comfortably fit inside XD9 18x9 +28.

I'm almost positive the track brembos (one of two options I'm considering) will fit, but confirmation for peace of mind would be great the XD9 being a bit of a bish design.
The other option I'm considering, which I'm not so sure about, is 363mm 2pc rotors and 6calipers AP-Racing, which I know to fit in the track and nismo oem wheels (looked like a bit of a tight fit though), but am not so sure on XD9.

This is obviously front wheels, back isn't exactly that much of a concern

Any experiences, or even informed opinions, would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 14" BBK will definitely not work meaning those AP's will not work. The stock brembos should work fine. Just double check with Work Wheels USA via email since you are in Sydney.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 AM
ThE_JacO

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
A 14" BBK will definitely not work meaning those AP's will not work. The stock brembos should work fine. Just double check with Work Wheels USA via email since you are in Sydney.
Thanks.
I did write to Work, but am still waiting for a reply, in the meantime I've been trying to figure out as much on my own as I can.

You had xd9 on your ride for a while didn't you? I seem to remember somebody with a silver Z that had endless and xd9 on, was that you? If it was and that wasn't just a test fit what rotor did you manage to squeeze in?

It's starting to kinda annoy me as the oem 18" wheels clear the larger APr's (looking a bit tight though), but the xd9 spoke design looks a lot less forgiving even with the wider channels.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Thanks.
I did write to Work, but am still waiting for a reply, in the meantime I've been trying to figure out as much on my own as I can.

You had xd9 on your ride for a while didn't you? I seem to remember somebody with a silver Z that had endless and xd9 on, was that you? If it was and that wasn't just a test fit what rotor did you manage to squeeze in?

It's starting to kinda annoy me as the oem 18" wheels clear the larger APr's (looking a bit tight though), but the xd9 spoke design looks a lot less forgiving even with the wider channels.

Cheers
Are you referring to the pic below? If so, I squeezed in a Rotora 14" 6/4 BBK front and rear on the xd9's. Recall that the Rotora calipers and overall rotor diameter are smaller than the AP's. There is an old thread I posted with what I had to do to get the front calipers to clear. Unfortunately, the search function is about as reliable as a cracked out hooker right now.

If I recall correctly, I put approximately 8mm of spacers up front to push the wheel out since the inner diameter of the wheel got larger towards the center from the spokes. This just gave me a enough clearance to drive it in to the SEMA show. However, I can only imagine that the caliper would rub really bad if the caliper and/or wheel expanded from heat being created from driving. The problem with a lot of 18" 1 piece work wheels is the inner diameter is smaller than other 18" wheels on the market. If that wasn't the case I would have probably run their entire 18" lineup by now.

Your best bet is to run the OEM brembos or 13" BBK with the XD9's or getting the blueprints of the AP's and sending them to different wheel manufacturers if you really want to a run an 18" wheel. The TE37's with a +12 offset tend to offer a lot of caliper clearance and certain Advans. I've heard that the Endless Racing 6 front caliper clears a 18" TE37 +12 by approximately 3mm, which is not recommended by Endless. However, nonetheless it does "fit".

Last edited by Rickdogg; 04-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 AM
ThE_JacO

Thanks Rick, I was afraid the reply would have been something on those lines It helps tons regardless.
In general I don't like 19" that much for a number of reasons, and I don't really feel like changing wheels right now (maybe spacers F and R might be an option though if needed to clear a 13" kit).

Guess it will be brembo or 13" stoptech kit then. I was looking at some 358 and 363 options mostly because of how much easier it is to find the products I was after. Here in Aus the mark-up on brakes is ridiculous, and apparently not enough people wreck their track Z or upgrade to BBKs, because finding a bloody brembo set is impossible, or ends up costing the same of the AP set I mentioned.

Thanks again.