Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 PM
CTSN100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brembo Problems

Can anyone assist? I have a 2006 Roadster only has 30000kms. I drove it a couple of times during the winter. Put the car away in the garage for a couple of weeks and decided to take the 'baby' for a quick spin. The 'baby' would not move as the brakes seemed to be seized against the rotors. Finally freed the brakes and took car to dealer who said the the pads and rotors were good but 'these high performance brakes' are always problematic if the car is not driven daily. The brakes were serviced but the same thing occured a couple of weeks later. I don't buy the dealers explanation as this has never happened before. Just wondering what would happen if I wanted to go on vacation and leave the car at the airport for a week! I only use the 'baby' on weekends.......any suggestions to fix this problem.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not convinced that Brembos would be more prone to seizing during storage than sliding calipers. If anything, the Brembos are of a simpler design and with fewer parts to rust(the only moving parts being two or four SS pistons). I store my car for six months each year and have not had similar problems with Brembos. Aside from the parking brake pads rusting to the drums, you might have put the car away with wet pads and rotors and over and an extended period they rusted and bonded to one another. However, this should not occur on a weekly basis once out of storage. This is only supposition, but you might try switching from metallic (if that's what you have) to ceramic pads. While only a guess, perhaps the metallic pads are more inclined to rust and bound with the rotors than ceramic pads.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

When you put the car away for the winter, was there any moisture on the rotors? If there is moisture between the pads and rotor, its normal for this. My car does this when I don't drive it for a couple of days after it rains. I have to give it a fair amount of throttle and you hear a loud "clunk" when I finally start to move. I have Endless Vita Nuova's on my Brembos now.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM
CTSN100

Thanks for everyones advice and quick response. The car was only stored for a couple of weeks at a time as I tried to drive it on dry days. The handbrake was not on when stored. I will try different pads than the OEM when I change them on the next service. I have never heard of this before and was afraid of damaging the calipers, especially trying to free the rotors and when I heard the load 'crack' I thought I had done severe damage. I still cannot believe this is 'normal'.....perhaps I need to move to a warmer climate!