Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics

Installed the Stoptech Stage 2 kit this weekend. Looking through the kit, I noticed the parts were of high quality. I ended up buying a power bleeder as well to make things go easier and that was a well spent 80 bucks. The kit itself I picked up for a little over $600 which I thought was a great value for what you get rotors, pads, and brake lines.

The installation took about 5 hours with 2 people…..at a medium pace. Everything went relatively smooth as far as installation. The removal of the caliper bolts was a b1tch…a breaker bar was need for these and I don’t know how you could break these without one.

I removed the old brake lines and capped them at the install points. I didn’t install the new lines until the calipers were ready to put back on. I also removed and replaced the rotors. Meanwhile, my other guy removed the calipers and old pads and reinstalled the new pads and lubed them where necessary. We then put the calipers back on with new pads…easier to do this with 2 people. We then completed the install of the new brake lines. I found it easier to route the lines after everything was installed...this was also less messy. We attached the new lines to the calipers. We then uncapped the lines at install points and attached the other end of the new lines.

Once this was completed, I snapped some pictures…see attached.

We then bled the lines using the power bleeder which really cuts down your time. We took our time on this to make sure there was no air in the system. Installed tires and we were done.

I bed-in the brakes early the next morning when i thought there would be less traffic. See my thread here on bed-in. https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-question.html my apologies for creating two threads out of this.

I can say there is a distinct difference between the stock brakes and the Stoptech Stage 2 kit (rotors, pads, and lines). I would highly recommend this upgrade if you are considering having brakes done on the car. I don’t know what they charge these days but you can save a lot of money doing this yourself. I am very happy with the performance and look of the new brakes.

Thanks goes out to Paul@US-Autotch for the great deal on the kit and also to Matt at Stoptech for answering my questions on a Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-001.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-002.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-003.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-005.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-004.jpg  

Last edited by Road Warrior; 05-11-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Road Warrior

power bleeder
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-350-007.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Looking good!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
nothix

those rotors look very nice, doing my SS line/fluid install next weekend
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Road Warrior

thanks guys

the ss lines especially in the front will make a big difference from the stock lines.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
gorillagoggles

Looks good, wish I woulda tried this myself now when I got my kit
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Road Warrior

the two things that worried me the most before i bought this kit was bleeding the brakes and removing the rotors. i heard a lot of stories on the rear rotors having to be beaten off with a hammer. fortunately, my rear rotors came right off without a hassle....fronts no worries there at all.

as far as the bleeding of the brakes, well the power bleeder was well worth the money. i wouldn't do a brake job without this tool after doing this one. this tool saved lots of time, very easy to use, and did a great job removing any air in the system.

the only other tool that is a must is a good size breaker bar for the caliper bolts.

other than that this was a pretty easy installation
Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Road Warrior

after bed-in
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-my-350-1.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-my-350-3.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-my-350-2.jpg   Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-my-350-005.jpg  

Last edited by Road Warrior; 05-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Road Warrior

next mod new wheels
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics-my-350-4.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

So cute , just like the real thing but smaller
Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
the two things that worried me the most before i bought this kit was bleeding the brakes and removing the rotors. i heard a lot of stories on the rear rotors having to be beaten off with a hammer. fortunately, my rear rotors came right off without a hassle....fronts no worries there at all.

as far as the bleeding of the brakes, well the power bleeder was well worth the money. i wouldn't do a brake job without this tool after doing this one. this tool saved lots of time, very easy to use, and did a great job removing any air in the system.

the only other tool that is a must is a good size breaker bar for the caliper bolts.

Great job on the install. I just helped a friend do the same kit on his Z. The Motive bleeder made it a lot easier. And +1 on the rear rotors being a pain, although most of the time I bet people forget to disengage the parking brake.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by terrasmak
So cute , just like the real thing but smaller
trolls....

Last edited by Road Warrior; 05-11-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
RetchedOne

Looks good!

I have to do my brakes by the end of summer... so guess I should just save up a few extra 100 and do this huh...
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

trolls....
Not really , if i had the stock non brembo's on my car i would do nothing to try attract attention to them. Stock brakes work great for daily driving, no biggy, just nothing to try show off.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RetchedOne
Looks good!

I have to do my brakes by the end of summer... so guess I should just save up a few extra 100 and do this huh...
thanks!

hell yes...why not...you won't regret it.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Not really , if i had the stock non brembo's on my car i would do nothing to try attract attention to them. Stock brakes work great for daily driving, no biggy, just nothing to try show off.
in case you didn't notice, my car is a daily driver with stock 17's...

as i stated in my post i bought the kit vs having my brakes done by a shop...figured for a little more i would upgrade

not everyone can afford a BBK 1500-5000 and i wouldn't go this extreme unless i was tracking my car or i had a lot of money to spend..i'm doing neither at the moment
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
gorillagoggles

thanks!

hell yes...why not...you won't regret it.
+2 I have this on my car as well and I love it. Taken it to the track a couple times and they performed really well! A bit of squealing, but nothing to worry about.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

I did the same installation on my G35 w/brembos this weekend. The trick to not having to bang the rear rotors with a hammer is to first get the car up on jackstand (or only rear if thats all your doing), then with the parking brake disengaged, rotate the rear wheels 2-4 times before removing the wheels. This helps the parking brake drum shoes retract a little.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
nismomike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse my noob question, but what does "bed-in" mean? Flame suit is on.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
kaminariZ

good job on the install! yea taking off the brakes on all four corners is a ***** the first time, but the second time took me less than 20 mins to remove calipers and rotors on all four corners hahaha... with wheels off already that is.

Quick Reply: Stoptech Stage 2 installation and review...with pics