Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Quick Bed-In Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Bed-In Question

just installed stoptech stage 2 kit

how many cycles are required for bed-in? i did one cycle and everything looks good. how do you know how many to do? i was thinking about doing another cycle but don't know if this is necessary.

thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

What exactly do you mean by "cylces"? And most importantly, did you have a firm brake pedal after you bled your brakes when the brake lines were installed from the Stoptech Stage 2 kit?

After you brake hard, back-to-back from 60mph to 15mph 6 to 7 times without engaging ABS, and drive around for about 5 minutes to let them cool (while trying to not use the brakes), the rotors should have a bluish tint to them. After they have cooled down, and you stop again your pedal should be firm. If it isn't, I would give them a couple of hours, then try the bedding procedure again.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Road Warrior

thanks for the info silverjdmcoupe.

i did have a nice firm pedal after bleeding the brakes with a power bleeder. the 60-10 stop and go's - 10 times is what i meant by a "cycle"...sorry for not clarifying. the rotors were blue after the first bed-in cycle so i thought everything looked good.

i am going to do another cycle tonight just to make sure.

finding a road to do the break in is impossible unless you live in the country...i did mine early morning and it was a little dicey even though traffic was very light.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM
SilverJDMCoupe

Oh, thats cool, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

In regards to the 2nd cycle of bedding, I don't know if it would benefit at all, as the layer of pad material has already been transferred and I don't think the pad material would "Stack-up" on the intial layer.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Road Warrior

yeah man, the bed-in process went pretty well...there was some smoking, and a slight fade towards the end of the cycle on the 9 and 10th stops. after the cycle i pulled over to look things over and the rotors had a nice blue tint and a slight amount grey film from where the pads were tracking on the rotor. from there just took it easy going home to let things cool down more.

i actually had a stoptech rep email me today and he recommended doing another cycle just to be sure; however, i really didn't give him any details of my bed-in...just asked him how many cycles are recommended. great customer service by the way for answering on a sunday of all days. i think that was good advice but i'm not clear on the benefits of performing more than one cycle.

i may do another cycle early tomorrow where i can do this without anybody on the road. i won't have any info on brake improvement until tomorrow evening but will post up.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

If you're using a street pad compound and you got the bluish/grey hue on your rotors after the first cycle, then you probably don't need another.

If you're using a track oriented pad compound, then you probably do need another cycle.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Road Warrior

i'm running the axxis ultimates that came with the kit.

i did perform another cycle this morning just to make sure. i did notice a minute improvement in braking after the cool down.

i really like the new brakes...an enormous difference between the stock brakes

thanks all for the responses
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
collinms

Hey man, I just got a similar setup using those rotors but I am using hawk pads. I had to do about 4 bed ins for some reason....I would push the pedal and there was no friction....car wouldnt stop correctly but after about 4 bed-ins I am golden. It sure was scary though before they were warn in.