Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

brembo grand turismo brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Xeinth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DZeckhausen
The problem may turn out to be the parking brake. The parking brake mechanism must fit completely within the hat of the rear rotor. With many applications, the parking brake is too large to fit inside a 332mm rotor, mandating the use of a 355mm rotor. This is the case with the BMW E39 5-Series.
Darn. Well maybe it would work out. I know that if we could get a 4 wheel 13" for around 3.5k it would greatly increase the chance of me buying a 4 wheel package.

X
Old 10-03-2003, 01:43 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by Xeinth
Darn. Well maybe it would work out. I know that if we could get a 4 wheel 13" for around 3.5k it would greatly increase the chance of me buying a 4 wheel package.
Understood. I was speaking about this very topic with Bob Lee the other night and he was planning to ask the engineers to take another look at it. Sometimes you find a way to make something work on the 2nd look that didn't seem possible first time around. From a wheel fitment perspective, I can certainly see where this set-up would be desirable.

It is getting some attention in Torrance, so if it's possible, you will hear something soon.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:40 PM
mcclaskz

Dave, thanks for the advice today! I will be calling you for brakes when skill catches up...
Old 10-03-2003, 03:44 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by mcclaskz
Dave, thanks for the advice today! I will be calling you for brakes when skill catches up...
Have fun and please let me know how you like the Panoz School, if you decide to go there. That may be the next vacation destination for me and my wife.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:30 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
gran turismo kit comes in 2 different sizes. that is indeed a gran turismo kit.
Correct! They do come in two rotor sizes, as I was considering them, initially. Finally I went with the AP racing system, better pedal feel, better contours to accommodate more wheels and they work. Big difference coming to a stop, with the SC(s)

It is either the AP Racing or the Stop Techs for me, as the Brembos are not as impressive as they are marketed to be.

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 10-03-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:07 AM
350on19inchVolk

Brembo, Marketing?
Brembo doesn't do any marketing. Brembo's name is recognized due to its OE use and their racing heritage. When was the last time anyone here saw a Brembo advertisment, or heard about a Brembo sponsorship.
StopTech is the most marketed product out there right now. They are working their ***** off to become a big time contender in the brake industry. It seems to be working.
As for AP, I believe it is a Brembo owned company. AP manufactures great calipers. The people out there making AP kits keep using inexpensive components to creat complete systems. It keeps the cost down but I have yet to hear of a solid system from anyone.

My chioces would be Brembo first then StopTech then possibly something using an Alcon race caliper.
Yes Brembo is the most expensive but I have done my research and you definitely get what you pay for. Best caliper, best rotor, best harware. Check it out for yourselves.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:11 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by DZeckhausen
Understood. I was speaking about this very topic with Bob Lee the other night and he was planning to ask the engineers to take another look at it. Sometimes you find a way to make something work on the 2nd look that didn't seem possible first time around. From a wheel fitment perspective, I can certainly see where this set-up would be desirable.

It is getting some attention in Torrance, so if it's possible, you will hear something soon.
I think that would be great if stoptech came out with a smaller 4 wheel kit..I believe something is already in the works from AP racing due to come out before yr end.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:42 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by 350on19inchVolk
Brembo, Marketing?
Brembo doesn't do any marketing. Brembo's name is recognized due to its OE use and their racing heritage. When was the last time anyone here saw a Brembo advertisment, or heard about a Brembo sponsorship.

StopTech is the most marketed product out there right now. They are working their ***** off to become a big time contender in the brake industry. It seems to be working.
As for AP, I believe it is a Brembo owned company. AP manufactures great calipers. The people out there making AP kits keep using inexpensive components to creat complete systems. It keeps the cost down but I have yet to hear of a solid system from anyone.

My chioces would be Brembo first then StopTech then possibly something using an Alcon race caliper.

Yes Brembo is the most expensive but I have done my research and you definitely get what you pay for. Best caliper, best rotor, best harware. Check it out for yourselves.
It would be ludicrous to actually believe that Brembo does not market any of its product. Furthermore, I doubt that the Italians are that backward and naive.

Brembo knows a great product when it acquired AP Racing division from Automotive Products Group, Ltd.; and that does not make AP brake systems a lesser of the two. In marketing strategy, one company acquires another to either kill the competition, or to adopt its popularity and brand loyalty; obviously it would have to be a super product to achieve such a distinction.

[ i]Originally posted by 350on19inchVolk [/i]
……AP kits keep using inexpensive components to creat complete systems. It keeps the cost down but I have yet to hear of a solid system from anyone.
Are you implying that Brembo is using AP racing division to market below standard products? If that was the case it would have been easier for Brembo to eliminate the competition completely.

The point that you’re driving across, above, does not mean ‘beans;’ moreover, just because you have not heard anything about a product does not mean that it is sub-standard.
I selected AP brakes because I have heard about its effective, high performance applications with the ghetto road racers, as well as Formula 1 World Constructors Champions; And, because of recommendations from professional racers in the region. Mind you, I did not just decide on my brake system of choice without first testing the Brembos. But due to personal taste, I did not feel comfortable with Brembo’s brake system pedal feel, for one thing.

G
Old 10-05-2003, 05:18 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by 350Zzzz
Brembo knows a great product when it acquired AP Racing division from Automotive Products Group, Ltd.; and that does not make AP brake systems a lesser of the two. In marketing strategy, one company acquires another to either kill the competition, or to adopt its popularity and brand loyalty; obviously it would have to be a super product to achieve such a distinction.
In general, you're absolutely correct. This was a unique situation, though. AP Racing was in a distressed financial state due to some legal issues and Brembo was interested in some other division of AP, not the aftermarket brakes division. They acquired the entire company at a very good price and agreed to keep the brake systems division independent. Sales teams from Brembo and AP still compete vigerously for each account. For all intents and purposes, they are different companies. As far as I know, there isn't any sharing of technology or even management.

I apologize for my sketchy knowledge of this transaction. I once heard someone describing the entire deal and it was a rather interesting story, of which I can only remember the highlights. If I can find out the details again, I'll remember them this time and add to this post!