Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replaced rubber bushings with pillowballs.. AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced rubber bushings with pillowballs.. AWESOME!

My car has been FIed for 2 years with 6 piston brembo brake in the front... No wonder my bushings were all shot to hell...

I replaced the front lower bushings with nismo hard rubber bushings, but didn't help much.. So, this is my solution...

Handling has dramatically improved over stock! Handling became more responsive. I should have done this earlier...

Last edited by leeboyNY; 06-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
300zx1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome where did you get the those from?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by 300zx1985
Awsome where did you get the those from?

Pillowballs were all custom made at a machine shop that makes race car products. I can always have them make more.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
mD2MHK

cool ...custom
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Make more and give us a price
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Are you noticing any additional noise from your suspension?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior
Are you noticing any additional noise from your suspension?

Nope nada~ I also worried about this initially, but the shop told me that only the $hitty pillowballs make noises.. HAHA Mine is quiet as stock.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Make more and give us a price
6 of them cost me $680. I can have them make more if people are interested, I'm sure I can haggle the price if we can put in multiple orders.

Unfortunately, I'm not a vendor here, so I might be asking for a perma ban if I start up a group buy or something... I wouldn't be making any profit out of this (I don't need to sell these to make money, since I make plenty with my own business).
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FINALLY! It's about time somebody got around to upgrading our bushings! Where did you find the NISMO hard bushings anyway?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
FINALLY! It's about time somebody got around to upgrading our bushings! Where did you find the NISMO hard bushings anyway?
www.mynismo.com I got the whole set for like $380, but only used two bushings... too much labor fee to replace all of them..
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

pm me if you can set something up for me on just the two lower arm bushing. Mine are shot and been waiting a while on backorder
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
pm me if you can set something up for me on just the two lower arm bushing. Mine are shot and been waiting a while on backorder
FWIW we have our lower arm spherical bearing bushings in production and will be releasing our version in 2 weeks.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Done Deal DR

Awesome! Let us know on that SPL!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Ah, the market at work.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
FWIW we have our lower arm spherical bearing bushings in production and will be releasing our version in 2 weeks.
i love you man. how about the tension rod bushing, or are these just for the transverse link?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bimmertech
i love you man. how about the tension rod bushing, or are these just for the transverse link?
We will only have the bushings for the traverse link (ie. lower arm) for now.

The tension/compression rod bushing is an odd one, if we replace that bushing with a spherical bearing, the arm will be free to "flop around". Given the shape, I have not yet figured out if that creates problems with the alignment of the steering stop, or if it causes any interference with other parts of the car. I need to do a little more R&D.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Nope nada~ I also worried about this initially, but the shop told me that only the $hitty pillowballs make noises.. HAHA Mine is quiet as stock.
How many miles or kilometer's is your comment drawn apon?

From what I can tell your on stock spring rates and shock's. And according to your sig, a different country that likely would have road's in far better condition then here. I guarantee this sort of mod has a price to pay here in the states, Noise, Vibration and Harshness wise. Yes the oem bushings you killed have compliance, a fair amount in some location's according to Bj from 350EVO. No one should do this sort of mod with the feeling it's likely to not have any impact, NVH wise.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
How many miles or kilometer's is your comment drawn apon?

From what I can tell your on stock spring rates and shock's. And according to your sig, a different country that likely would have road's in far better condition then here. I guarantee this sort of mod has a price to pay here in the states, Noise, Vibration and Harshness wise. Yes the oem bushings you killed have compliance, a fair amount in some location's according to Bj from 350EVO. No one should do this sort of mod with the feeling it's likely to not have any impact, NVH wise.

Far better road condition in South Korea? HAHA~ NOPE! US is 100 times better. I lived in the states for 15 years and been to many states, so I think I know what I'm talking about. BTW I have Aragosta suspension. I actually rode in one of their cars with pillow ***** installed. It had about 60,000miles with the pillow ***** and couldn't hear any noises. Also, with any tuning, you are bound to loose some stock quality. I did notice a harshier ride for obvious reason, so I softened my suspension setting.

Last edited by leeboyNY; 06-27-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
danimaldaisy

I am so glad i found this post....and just today i realised my problem on my car....I have had chitty handling for the past 40k miles and have thrown 3 sets of struts at my car as well as 4 sets of springs hotchkis sways and upper tubular A-arms with adjustable camber.....

EVERY time i thought i fixed my problem the sloppy handling came back.....

when i finally got hotchkis sways i thought my problems were gone, but all this did was put more pressure on the already blown bushings and work for a minute and then further damage the bushings until i was right back where i left off with sloppy handling once again....first i bought KYB struts which was a mistake cause they were weaker than factory....then i got tokico blues but they weren't up to the UNKNOWN task that they were compensating for bad bushings and a sway bar that was almost barely working cause of the bushings....enter the d-spec and it is drivable now.....but the bushings are so bad now that the one that connects to the chassis SEEMS to the eye to be fine but once you tear apart the suspension it has seperated......

To sum things up.

My lower control arm has 2 bad bushings.....the bushing that the strut attaches to is cracked on the bottom and sagging (WHY couldn't the nissan tech see that?????)

also the main bushing on the inner part of the lower control arm that connects to the chassis is separated and basically is in the same condition as a blown motor mount......but it is still in place.....i can literally twist the lower control arm left and right with little effort as if i was grabbing the end of a pipe and twisting it. The same exact problem on both sides of the car.

So HOW you may ask would this affect handling????? well the swaybar is connected directly to the lower control arm by an endlink, and the swaybar is NOT working because of this....and even if it is it is TOO LATE.....I need to replace these bushings in order to fix my problem.....

by the way...I pulled the d-specs and tested them and the are strong as hell on the stiffest setting.....i had them set to full stiff to overcompensate the front swaybar not operating correctly.....

i don't have 700.00 for articulating bushings....so i am going to need to get some from one of the vendors here and have these 2 pressed in somewhere else cause my Nissan dealer wont do it....

this problem showed up at 50kmiles and now i have 100k miles....

if you have weird swaybar problems or are confusing it with struts being blown just remember that in order for the sways to work....the bushings on the lower control arms need to be in good condition or replaced with something better in order for the swaybars to work correctly...

I believe my rear control arm bushings are just fine...and i replaced my endlinks 9 months ago.....GLAD i don't have to purchase a full blown coil over kit now only to be disappointed.....

I just swapped back in my tanabe gf210 springs and had it aligned today and told the tech what happened just so that he knows....

i plan on getting whiteline linear springs and swapping them in since they lowered the Z EXACTLY the same as the tanabe's i have now.

WHEW!

this thread should be a sticky or a new one called the lower control arm thread should be made to help people solve this problem....ESPECIALLY if they are buying a used Z.

I was at the dealer today and saw a BUNCH of 05 used Z's and they were all going for 13k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i payed 24k for a used one that had 3kmiles on it sitting on the lot for a year....while others payed 27k to almost 35k for theirs....

makes me want to buy a spare Z hehehe.

Now i have to formally apologize on a few threads about the tanabe gf210 sucking as a spring.......................
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM
MR RIZK

Kuah,

What is the difference between V2 and the ones currently listed on the spl website?

Quick Reply: Replaced rubber bushings with pillowballs.. AWESOME!