Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Aftermarket wheels affect alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
chrisjersey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels affect alignment?

Hi all. I did a search for this both here and on the web and couldn't find a definite answer. I was wondering if aftermarket wheels will throw off your alignment specs?

I have recently installed springs, Ichiba rear camber arms, and toe bolts, and am getting an alignment early next week to hopefully bring everything back into spec. Right now I have the OEM 18" wheels on my car with new tires, but I also have some 19" Axis wheels with bald tires that I am waiting on new tires for.

I wasn't planning on mounting my aftermarket wheels until I got the tires on, but they will not be here in time for the alignment and I wasn't sure if that affected it any. Should I get the alignment done with my stock wheels on or with my 19" wheels with bald tires? The rears are dangerously bald, no cords showing yet, but maybe like 200-300 miles left in them, which is why I don't have those wheels on right now. The fronts aren't to bad, maybe a season left, but dry rot has started their demise. The alignment shop is not to far from my house, only 10 miles or so, so I'm sure they'll make it. And I probably won't be driving the car again until they come since its not my daily driver.

Bottom line: Is it worth it to throw those on right before I go? Or does it not matter..

Any help is appreciated since I don't know really anything about the alignment process. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

technically yes they will affect alignment. how bad? i'm not sure.

you are switching from 18's to 19's. I went from stock 18's on my g35 to wider 18's and it change my alignment quite a bit.

if you are paying for the alignment, i would wait.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 AM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

With your setup wait till you have new tires on the 19s then get an alignment. Right now you are out of alignment with the added control arms and toe bolts.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
chrisjersey06

Wow, so the amount of tread affects it a lot too? Hmm. I'm not sure if I'll be able to change it because the alignment is being included with another service I'm having them do. But if its going to affect it a noticable amount then I'll have to find a way to postpone it for sure.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just wait, it will change slightly do to the added stress on your suspension components by running inproper offets wheels. (anything other than +30, +- a couple mm in each direction is not the right offset)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just wait, it will change slightly do to the added stress on your suspension components by running inproper offets wheels. (anything other than +30, +- a couple mm in each direction is not the right offset)
Well if the wheels are the issue than I can put them on, that's not a problem. My only question now is if the alignment will be off by going from old tires to new tires.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
Wow, so the amount of tread affects it a lot too? Hmm. I'm not sure if I'll be able to change it because the alignment is being included with another service I'm having them do. But if its going to affect it a noticable amount then I'll have to find a way to postpone it for sure.
Not saying the thread depth makes a difference. However, might was well just wait till you have the new tires on and get it aligned.

Make sure your shop actually knows how to align with the added suspension bits you have installed.

Most don't.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by WXSigns
Not saying the thread depth makes a difference. However, might was well just wait till you have the new tires on and get it aligned.

Make sure your shop actually knows how to align with the added suspension bits you have installed.

Most don't.
Well its the body shop at my Nissan Dealer, not just some back alley auto repair, haha. I'm having them repaint my front and rear bumpers because they're littered with rock chips, and the alignment since I got a package deal. If they don't know how to work a turnbuckle style control arm I am scared! "Its so easy a caveman can do it" lol
Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i paid $125 for 3 year alignment with NTB.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
Well its the body shop at my Nissan Dealer, not just some back alley auto repair, haha. I'm having them repaint my front and rear bumpers because they're littered with rock chips, and the alignment since I got a package deal. If they don't know how to work a turnbuckle style control arm I am scared! "Its so easy a caveman can do it" lol
I had the front bumper repainted because of chips too. Then I did paint protection film.

Back alley auto repair - lol I know several well respected shops in the Seattle area that can't setup a car for the track properly which includes corner weight balancing and alignments.

Most of these shops have techs that don't track and or even race.

For a DD maybe not an issue. For the guys that track their cars it's an issue.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
chrisjersey06

I had the front bumper repainted because of chips too. Then I did paint protection film.

Back alley auto repair - lol I know several well respected shops in the Seattle area that can't setup a car for the track properly which includes corner weight balancing and alignments.

Most of these shops have techs that don't track and or even race.

For a DD maybe not an issue. For the guys that track their cars it's an issue.
You're absolutely right. For a track setup or corner balance I'd only go to a respected shop that deals with that kind of stuff on a regular basis.

I'm only trying to get close back to factory specs to preserve my new tires, so I think they should be able to handle it.

But do you really think that changing the tires is going to alter the alignment? If so, I'll call first thing in the morning to see what they can do. The old tires don't have any camber wear or anything, the rears are just pretty treadless.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM
binder

switching from old tires to new tires will affect it also. The wear will slightly angle the tires depending on the route you travel on a daily basis. New tires are essecially flat across.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by binder
switching from old tires to new tires will affect it also. The wear will slightly angle the tires depending on the route you travel on a daily basis. New tires are essecially flat across.
Ok skrew it, I'm just gonna wait until they're on then. I'd rather have them do it perfect once. Thanks guys for all your help.

On a side note, does anyone know what it would normally cost to mount and balance 4 19" tires? I just want to make sure I don't get skrewed. These prices I'm getting from places are pretty high, like $45 per tire not including disposal of the old one. Or is that what it normally should cost?

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 07-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

See where the AutoX guys get it done in your area. I have a shop that mounts them on trade for me, 20.00 a tire.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM
chrisjersey06

See where the AutoX guys get it done in your area. I have a shop that mounts them on trade for me, 20.00 a tire.
Hah, unfortunately I'm one of the only sports cars in the area, there's a few focuses and gay stuff with exhaust, but nothing like a Z. No auto-x activity for about 300 miles from here either I live in central Pennsylvanian farm country, mainly pickup trucks is what you see. (Originally from NJ)

To give you an idea on the area, whenever I call for parts, or to a tire shop for a price quote and tell them I have a 350Z, the first question is "is that a car or truck", second is "who makes it". I can't make this stuff up.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
binder

mount and balance shouldn't be more than 20$ a tire.

it depends on where you live though. Indiana is pretty low cost. it's like 49.99 for an alignment at a place that charges 20$ a tire mount and balance.