Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance Coilovers (OEM Type): Problem lowering Rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stance Coilovers (OEM Type): Problem lowering Rear

Im not sure if this is a common problem but Ive been trying to search but Im just at a loss for what keywords to search for.

Anyways, I have Stance GR+ Coilovers, oem type in the rear. And today I went to lower my car somemore. The Fronts went down as expected but the rear, I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt go down.

I lowered (shortened) the damper quite a bit to where there's only about 3 inches gap when i lift the rear end, and i lowered (shortened) the spring collar to where there is only about 4 threads showing to the top of the collar. It still didnt go down significantly (i still have about 1.5 finger wheel gap)

Also, for whatever reason, ive measured everything precisely with a tape measure and one side is heigher than the other. Im all outta ideas and any help is appreciated. thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Adjusting the shock damper length in the rear WILLNOT effect the ride height. You need to lower the spring collar more if you want the rear suspension lower.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
vispre

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Adjusting the shock damper length in the rear WILLNOT effect the ride height. You need to lower the spring collar more if you want the rear suspension lower.
hrmm, i only have 4 threads left till it tops out (fully lowered) and i still got a huge gap left. I thought stance's were suppose to lower pretty crazy. (i know i can cut the spring mount but i dont see why i have to if i own coilovers)

So, what height should i put the shock damper at?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by vispre
hrmm, i only have 4 threads left till it tops out (fully lowered) and i still got a huge gap left. I thought stance's were suppose to lower pretty crazy. (i know i can cut the spring mount but i dont see why i have to if i own coilovers)

So, what height should i put the shock damper at?
Well first , spring mount mod? Some coilovers don't use the factory spring mount, and people who botched the install while keeping the spring mount in place saw their car about 1 inch heigher than it should have been.

Second , shock length, i would add about 10mm of preload to the spring. There are better ways of figuring out the proper/perfect setup. Just rear in a couple of the coilover thread, one of the sponcers posted one hell of a reply about doing that.

Last, just lower it all the way in the rear and slowly work it up to where it needs to be. Also remember that its not a perfect 1 to 1 ratio for the drop. A 5mm movement on the spring will give you about a 10mm movement at the end of the arm.

Have fun , play around a little , and make sure you give it a drive around the block to settle the spring between settings.
BTW i hate setting up coilovers, having to jack , remove tires , adjust , install tire , drop the car and drive it 10 times or more till you get the right setting sucks.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 PM
vispre

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Well first , spring mount mod? Some coilovers don't use the factory spring mount, and people who botched the install while keeping the spring mount in place saw their car about 1 inch heigher than it should have been.

Second , shock length, i would add about 10mm of preload to the spring. There are better ways of figuring out the proper/perfect setup. Just rear in a couple of the coilover thread, one of the sponcers posted one hell of a reply about doing that.

Last, just lower it all the way in the rear and slowly work it up to where it needs to be. Also remember that its not a perfect 1 to 1 ratio for the drop. A 5mm movement on the spring will give you about a 10mm movement at the end of the arm.

Have fun , play around a little , and make sure you give it a drive around the block to settle the spring between settings.
BTW i hate setting up coilovers, having to jack , remove tires , adjust , install tire , drop the car and drive it 10 times or more till you get the right setting sucks.
Honestly im not sure if the springmount is supposed to be there or not but it felt right being there so I left it.

Thanks for your help, probably gonna go correct it tomorrow morning and hope it all works out. You're right about setting up coilovers tho. To this day theyre my favorite mod except the one time i installed and adjusted it and today, the 2nd time i adjusted it lol
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM
NY350zG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly im not sure if the springmount is supposed to be there or not but it felt right being there so I left it.

Thanks for your help, probably gonna go correct it tomorrow morning and hope it all works out. You're right about setting up coilovers tho. To this day theyre my favorite mod except the one time i installed and adjusted it and today, the 2nd time i adjusted it lol
Let me know how this goes.. And if you can please post some PICS! I want to see where this Springmount your talking about is located.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NY350zG
Let me know how this goes.. And if you can please post some PICS! I want to see where this Springmount your talking about is located.
The spring mount sits on top of your rear spring and is shaped like an upside down cone. You should be able to see it without jacking up your car.

Last edited by SchismX; 07-08-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
vispre

Alright so if anyone is wondering...

I extended out my shock damper to 9 7/8 inches on the rears. As for the spring adjustment, I just had to put one side higher than the other in order to get the car to sit even. I dont know why, but the car is even so I guess it doesnt really matter.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
NY350zG

Alright so if anyone is wondering...

I extended out my shock damper to 9 7/8 inches on the rears. As for the spring adjustment, I just had to put one side higher than the other in order to get the car to sit even. I dont know why, but the car is even so I guess it doesnt really matter.

Thanks for the help guys.
So you left the springmount in?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Thermal1

The spring mount stays on for Stance OEM type coilovers. You can do the "springmount mod" and shorten it to get lower.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 AM
cyrilic

post pics of the final result!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 AM
vispre

yes, i did leave the spring mount in. It looks like it should be there, and plus the settings on the coilovers allow me to get low enough.

My main 'problem' im having is why I have to set one side of the car higher/lower than the other yet, the car sits evenly. Which doesn't make sense because when I had tanabe springs on stock shocks, it was even.

I pretty much just gave up on that.

As for pics, i will have a photoshoot soon with my new kit and wheels so hopefully that will come soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

yes, i did leave the spring mount in. It looks like it should be there, and plus the settings on the coilovers allow me to get low enough.

My main 'problem' im having is why I have to set one side of the car higher/lower than the other yet, the car sits evenly. Which doesn't make sense because when I had tanabe springs on stock shocks, it was even.

I pretty much just gave up on that.

As for pics, i will have a photoshoot soon with my new kit and wheels so hopefully that will come soon.
I have yet to see a car get even with perfectly even adjustments on the coilovers
Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
SS728

If you lower the rear all the way down, you can take out a collar in the spring mount, since you don't need it anyways. It will lower even more.