Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Does ABS system store codes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does ABS system store codes?

Hey guys,

My ABS light has been coming on and off occasionally and I'd like to plan a trip to the dealership to have it looked at. It happens usually after the car has been heat soaked. I hear a buzzing sound from the ABS motor area when I turn teh car on and the ABS light stays on. If I turn the car off and let it cool, the light will eventually go away. I know that the ABS system can be scanned with consult tools for diagnostic purposes when a fault is detected (similar to ECU scan) but what I am not sure about is if the system actually stores historical codes. Anybody know this info? Ideally, I'd bring teh car in, they'd scan it and even if the light is not on, they'd be able to pull the code from ABS system and hopefully fix the problem. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very good question.

We know that OBDII stores codes related to emissions and other problems. Remember that ABS is part of the ABS TCS VDC computer. Its one computer. I do not know what the relationship is between OBDII and the ABS TCS VDC computer.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The ECU stores codes. If the ABS or any other system "throws" a code, then yes, it will be stored.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The ECU stores codes. If the ABS or any other system "throws" a code, then yes, it will be stored.
Good point. SES light does not come on but I saw my ABS light come on again yesterday. I can do an ECU scan and see if any codes are present. It would be nice if the ECU did have this info. I'll do a scan and report back.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Laughitup85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your break pads, I had my ABS, SLIP, and VDC lights come on and when I checked my pads they were low as **** but once I replaced them the lights went off
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Good point. SES light does not come on but I saw my ABS light come on again yesterday. I can do an ECU scan and see if any codes are present. It would be nice if the ECU did have this info. I'll do a scan and report back.
It could be that the ABS system is flaking out. Not a bad idea to check brake fluid, pads, rotors, etc. though.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It could be that the ABS system is flaking out. Not a bad idea to check brake fluid, pads, rotors, etc. though.
The buzzing sounds coming from the ABS motor area suggest that the ABS system is just tired. I replaced my front and rear pads last year so that isn't it. I checked the brake fluid level the other day and it's right at the high mark. The rotors are on their way out but they still have a little life left in them. The new pads are a metallic/ceramic matrix pad so they're not brutal on the rotors but not as gentle as pure ceramics either. I think it's the ABS system. I haven't had the chance to scan the car yet. I'll swing by Autozone tomorrow AM and have them do a scan.