Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Installed & Reviewed: Bilstein PSS (B14) Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 AM
dcash5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed & Reviewed: Bilstein PSS (B14) Coilovers

Morning

i use my350z to do a hell of alot of research prior to buying parts for my car so when I had the opportunity to buy some Bilsteins at a very cheap price I naturally came here but unfortunately I couldnt find alot about them, only reviews the pss9's and 10's (b16)

So I thought i would take the risk and put my results up on here.

Here it is on my lounge floor

First of all fitment. Took me about 3.5 hours tops and this included a removing a stripped bolt - Very easy (good soak of oil the night before really helped)

The Bilstein use the exact same step up as stock with an height adjustable spring mount setup on the rear. They required the standard topmounts to be taken off the stock suspension and installed on the bilsteins (but this is the same accross the range), everything lined up perfectly, nothing required adjustment it was absolutely spot on.

First front shock off

Front installed

Then fully installed and wound down

Wheel/Tire Spec (18x9"/10" F/R) 235/40/18 F and 275/40/18 R

So overall impression ....

There is no damper adjustment like the PSS9/10 so this was a slight gamble but having had Bilsteins on previous cars it was a calculated risk. Wound to the position they are in now I can honestly say these are perfect. I have had two other setups on the car, Stock and Stock Dampers with GF210 Springs. Once I installed the GF210 I was fairly happy, bit firmer than stock but still comfortable. Going from GF210 to Bilstein is leagues apart. There is now more crashing down bumps/potholes, removes the boucy ride at high speed they are perfect for everyday use here in the UK (Usually alot worse roads that over there in the US)

They would be the perfect coilover for the person who spend most of their time on the street and does the occasional trackday, if you are a bit of a track addict i would probably go for the PSS9/10's over these as it gives you much more control but for your everyday driver you would struggle to top these interms of price and performance. I took my mate out who was using the RSR setup and I think he was quite jealous, especially with how low these are wound down.

If any more info is required I will more than happily add to this post. Just thought I better put something back into this forum

Dan
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of the Black zed? Where did you purchase the coilovers?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 AM
3FIDDYZED

Nice one Dan, looks spot on!

Solidsnake: What black Zed?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 AM
cliffrlp

would love to see a close up of the rear drop!

I've been back and forth on these, but think i'll be ordering 'em today/tomorrow.

-Black z in the background is what solidsnake is referring too.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
duro78

are those Mb battles? If so nice budget setup all around
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcash5
Morning

i use my350z to do a hell of alot of research prior to buying parts for my car so when I had the opportunity to buy some Bilsteins at a very cheap price I naturally came here but unfortunately I couldnt find alot about them, only reviews the pss9's and 10's (b16)

So I thought i would take the risk and put my results up on here.

Here it is on my lounge floor

First of all fitment. Took me about 3.5 hours tops and this included a removing a stripped bolt - Very easy (good soak of oil the night before really helped)

The Bilstein use the exact same step up as stock with an height adjustable spring mount setup on the rear. They required the standard topmounts to be taken off the stock suspension and installed on the bilsteins (but this is the same accross the range), everything lined up perfectly, nothing required adjustment it was absolutely spot on.

First front shock off

Front installed

Then fully installed and wound down

Wheel/Tire Spec (18x9"/10" F/R) 235/40/18 F and 275/40/18 R

So overall impression ....

There is no damper adjustment like the PSS9/10 so this was a slight gamble but having had Bilsteins on previous cars it was a calculated risk. Wound to the position they are in now I can honestly say these are perfect. I have had two other setups on the car, Stock and Stock Dampers with GF210 Springs. Once I installed the GF210 I was fairly happy, bit firmer than stock but still comfortable. Going from GF210 to Bilstein is leagues apart. There is now more crashing down bumps/potholes, removes the boucy ride at high speed they are perfect for everyday use here in the UK (Usually alot worse roads that over there in the US)

They would be the perfect coilover for the person who spend most of their time on the street and does the occasional trackday, if you are a bit of a track addict i would probably go for the PSS9/10's over these as it gives you much more control but for your everyday driver you would struggle to top these interms of price and performance. I took my mate out who was using the RSR setup and I think he was quite jealous, especially with how low these are wound down.

If any more info is required I will more than happily add to this post. Just thought I better put something back into this forum

Dan
Dan, did you mean to say the following? I did a one word edit guess

"Going from GF210 to Bilstein is leagues apart. There is no more crashing down bumps/potholes, removes the boucy ride at high speed they are perfect for everyday use here in the UK (Usually alot worse roads that over there in the US)"

On your comment about the Pss9/10 being better suited for a track addict. As someone that has the Pss9, know's how the Pss10 is valved slightly different and has had his Pss9 revalved. Neither Pss9 or Pss10 is better suited for anything more then a mild hearted track work. Reason is Bilstein's choice of adjustor design and the use of the progressive rear spring. As they are turned up, low speed control doesn't see the increases you need, but mid and high speed control spikes where you don't want it. Which is exactly why my review of the Pss9 (done before I had seen the shock dyno's), recommends to never set them past 5 on the dial.

Just to mention it, seeing how low you've set the front, you have very little piston stoke and the bump stops are comming into play, ride would improve if you were to go up a little more. Rear has even less piston travel, but a progressive bumpstop.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:31 PM
syk69

What's the height drop range on these?