Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What's the proper thing to do after Coilovers.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
yyang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the proper thing to do after Coilovers.

I installed my H&R coilovers 3 days ago, and even now when i drive on the roads, i hear 'bonk' sounds when i go over something little that is uneven on the pavement, is it normal? because i was told the springs are still trying to settle, so they make sounds when they are trying to click in. I just want more confirmation because could something be lose?

also i keep hearing different stories or what to do after the coilovers are on, which is.. i hear do alignment after couple days, and alignment after 5 minutes.

what i was told to do was wait for a couple days until springs settle, then go back to adjust springs so it's perfectly even in all 4 corners, then go do the alignment.

can you guys tell me what is the correct way to do by your experience? thanks in advance!!!~

Last edited by yyang; 08-11-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
warmmilk

i just installed my H&R coilovers on sat and i don't have any noises whatsoever. I did a track day (really tight kart track) yesterday and didn't hear any abnormal sounds on the track or on the way home after. Mine are adjusted to stock ride hieght, maybe a hair lower, so that might have something to do with it.

other than swaybars and the coilovers, my car is stock in the suspension department, no camber links or anything. I didn't get an alignment yet either.

Last edited by warmmilk; 08-11-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Sleepy79

sure everything was tightened to spec?
if you have arms and links you can set the height to whatever you want...

give it a week or so before you take it in, all depends how much you drive it. what you are trying to do? Daily driver, track?
Best thing to do is a corner balance, when you get your alignment.
If you just looking to set ride height with your coilovers your wedge will most likely be out of whack.

Last edited by Sleepy79; 08-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM
warmmilk

^ wedge?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
^ wedge?
probably some crazy Canadian talk..

did you:

1. tighten the spring perches?
2. did you pre-load the springs?
3. tight the top nut that goes onto of the shock to attach the pillowball mount?
4. everything is to spec torque #s?

some noise is normal from a pillowball mount style...

i would align the car pretty much after you install it, as to avoid adverse tire wear, if this is your commuter.

as for corner balancing, that's optional but i would suggest it, makes you feel that you're wearing the car.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yyang
I installed my H&R coilovers 3 days ago, and even now when i drive on the roads, i hear 'bonk' sounds when i go over something little that is uneven on the pavement, is it normal? because i was told the springs are still trying to settle, so they make sounds when they are trying to click in. I just want more confirmation because could something be lose?

also i keep hearing different stories or what to do after the coilovers are on, which is.. i hear do alignment after couple days, and alignment after 5 minutes.

what i was told to do was wait for a couple days until springs settle, then go back to adjust springs so it's perfectly even in all 4 corners, then go do the alignment.

can you guys tell me what is the correct way to do by your experience? thanks in advance!!!~
coilovers don't settle

any noises from the outset of installation is an indication that something is not installed correctly. You should have someone experienced with coilovers go over the install with a factory service manual, and the instructions for your kit, and ensure its torqued to spec
Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
warmmilk

^there weren't really any instructions included, just a sheet of paper that says if you have one of the car's on this list, cut the bump stops this much, the z wasn't on the list.

you must have something loose somewhere, re check everything, like i said, i don't have any noises that i didn't have before. also, the front shocks are side specific to accommodate the brake and abs line attachement, did you get them right? another thing to check is the rear spring perch. the bottom shaped to sit in the spring cup correctly, did you make sure it was aligned?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just installed my H&R coilovers on sat and i don't have any noises whatsoever. I did a track day (really tight kart track) yesterday and didn't hear any abnormal sounds on the track or on the way home after. Mine are adjusted to stock ride hieght, maybe a hair lower, so that might have something to do with it.

other than swaybars and the coilovers, my car is stock in the suspension department, no camber links or anything. I didn't get an alignment yet either.
Ahh you finally got them, great. I'll try and remember to pm you in about 2 weeks to get your opinion on the setup. I won't ask now because IMO you need to spend some time on any setup to get a real idea about how you feel.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
yyang

thanks everyone!~~~ for your replies, i will definetly get it checked!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Ahh you finally got them, great. I'll try and remember to pm you in about 2 weeks to get your opinion on the setup. I won't ask now because IMO you need to spend some time on any setup to get a real idea about how you feel.
yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think I'll post an official review till I get an autocross on them so that I can do an apples to apples comparison.

I've done a track day on the same track before, but the first time I did it in my sister's sti. So I can't really give an honest comparison there. The car felt good though, very balanced. The only time I got understeer is if I went in to hot, and only got oversteer if I got on the gas to early to much. Body roll, from what I observed so far is just slightly less than stock. Damping, from what my n00bish *** can tell so far is good. I'm able to go over FIA curbing without upsetting the car at all, and it seams to keep the tire on the ground the whole time without oscillating.

the above is just a preliminary review / observation. Once I do an autox, I'll post a more detailed review.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think I'll post an official review till I get an autocross on them so that I can do an apples to apples comparison.

I've done a track day on the same track before, but the first time I did it in my sister's sti. So I can't really give an honest comparison there. The car felt good though, very balanced. The only time I got understeer is if I went in to hot, and only got oversteer if I got on the gas to early to much. Body roll, from what I observed so far is just slightly less than stock. Damping, from what my n00bish *** can tell so far is good. I'm able to go over FIA curbing without upsetting the car at all, and it seams to keep the tire on the ground the whole time without oscillating.

the above is just a preliminary review / observation. Once I do an autox, I'll post a more detailed review.
How do you like them only taking street use into consideration? I'm debating between these or a decent spring/shock combo.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
warmmilk

so far I like then, but I haven't driven much on them yet. the ride is still pretty comforable, the same bumps feel "sharper" than with the stock suspension. the dampers seem good, the car oscillates less than it did with the stock suspension. this is a VERY driveable coilover, if this is to stiff for someone, they should just stay stock.

I'll post a more detailed review when I'm going to be posting the autox review on these as I'll have more seat time with them.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Have the same coilovers with all the GT Spec Braces, Hotchkis Adjustable Bars with Progrid End Links and SPC F/R control arms.

No clunking noise at all.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Rodizzle

I have the same coilovers and they are noisy. I hear a knocking noise every time I go over bumps. But maybe its because I'm low as hell? Everything is tightened properly.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

How low are you? I'm 3/8" off the tires in the front and 1/4" in the rear.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Rodizzle

I probably close to two inches lower both in the front an rear. My underbody is maybe 4-6 inches off the floor.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
warmmilk

i'm a hair under stock hieght, that may have something to do with it
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Sleepy79

^ wedge?
why bother with coilovers if you do not care about static weight distribution and cross weight percentage?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Sleepy79

Originally Posted by Chebosto
probably some crazy Canadian talk..

2. did you pre-load the springs?
can someone explain this to me, because i must be crazy
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Sleepy79
why bother with coilovers if you do not care about static weight distribution and cross weight percentage?
i'll get around to doing that after i get wider wheels and tires so i don't have to pay twice for the same thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the proper thing to do after Coilovers.