Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Anyone regret lowering their Z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 AM
bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone regret lowering their Z?

Just had mine lowered using an Eibach Pro kit. Looks like I"ll need to get a rear camber kit also. I'm worried about tire wear and ground clearance so I'm doubting my decision. Now to be fair, my new wheels and rubber won't be here until next week so I don't have the advantage of see the final product.

So anyone else go through these gyrations?

Bomber
Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 AM
starvinmrvn

Get it aligned with camber and toe kit before you put new wheels and tires...If your regretting it now your really going to regret tearing through those brand new tires.

But to answer the question...I only regret not buying coilovers first instead of wasting my time with GF210's. I have about torn through my flex pipes on my exhaust entering the garage at work.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:13 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by starvinmrvn
Get it aligned with camber and toe kit before you put new wheels and tires...If your regretting it now your really going to regret tearing through those brand new tires.

But to answer the question...I only regret not buying coilovers first instead of wasting my time with GF210's. I have about torn through my flex pipes on my exhaust entering the garage at work.
Do you recommend a front camber kit also? I'm thinking if yes, then I may install the stock springs, sell the Eibachs and write the whole thing off to lessoned learned.
Bomber
Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 AM
TYEster

I regret it everytime I hit/scrap/bump/drag anything underneath whereas I wouldn't have before.

But I don't regret the looks or the improved handling.

My biggest regret is letting some highschool dropout align my car and decided to give my rear camber -3deg or more. Seriously looks like I have a triangle under my car. Need to get it fixed. The handling roxorz though, but I don't track the car all day everyday so it's a little extreme.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:31 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I was in the process of lowering my Z. I spent hours and hours reading through reviews and opinions and, man, it was helpful. My final decision is to save for coilovers and I am getting close to being able to afford it. What I would say is, if you plan to keep your springs, make sure to do it right with the recommended camber/toe stuff and you might end up liking it.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 AM
bomber

Truthfully, I got caught up in the excitment and pictures and didn't fully think through the downsides of lowering the car. I don't mind spending a few more bucks on a rear camber/toe kit, but I don't want to spend the money for the front kit. I'd rather take a beating on the money I spent and going back to stock springs.

On the other hand, I'm looking at the lame stock wheels and maybe with the new wheels, I may reconsider.

Bomber
Old 08-29-2009, 08:15 AM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a few lowered cars in the past, and now my Z as well. Also have eibach prokit. i have tokiko shocks, SPC rear camber kit. no front camber kit. The front is a fraction of a degree out of spec, which IMO is minimal and I can live with it. The rear is well within spec for toe and camber. I'm just conscious of where i drive my car and i've never regretted it or looked back once.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
starvinmrvn

My fronts are like -.1 over stock specifications on camber without the front kit. I have GF210's though. I dont remember the numbers on the back but they were way worse. I bought and installed SPC rear arms I believe it is back to just even with the outside numbers on stock specs. guy said that was all he could pull back. Yours will probably be worse if I remember correctly. But all it takes is to catch that one good look walking to or from your car in a parking lot to take away all the worries.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the GF210's with Tokicos, I do not regret lowering the Z, but for Auto X, I will have to switch out to KW suspension coil over/higher spring rates/ . For street use my current set up works fine, had on car for 2 years.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 AM
TheFarmer

Hang in there bomber. I think your decision may change when you get new wheels with lower offsets.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 AM
bomber

OK you guys are starting to talk me away from the ledge.

I have the alignment sheet and the front right is -1.3 (barely in spec) and the front left is -1.5. the rears are -2.6 and the toe in the rear is .16 which is .2 out.

I'm thinking maybe i should buy the rear camber/toe kit and leave the fronts alone.

Bomber
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

idk my stock height 2006 scrapes EVERYTHING all the time, so i feel like lowering my car would have no negative advantages that im not already suffering through
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
bomber

My fronts are like -.1 over stock specifications on camber without the front kit. I have GF210's though. I dont remember the numbers on the back but they were way worse. I bought and installed SPC rear arms I believe it is back to just even with the outside numbers on stock specs. guy said that was all he could pull back. Yours will probably be worse if I remember correctly. But all it takes is to catch that one good look walking to or from your car in a parking lot to take away all the worries.

Can you give me some details on your set-up. Amount of drop, wheel/tire size and offset.

Sweet look BTW.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I only regret not buying coilovers first instead of wasting my money/time with GF210's.
x2....
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
idk my stock height 2006 scrapes EVERYTHING all the time, so i feel like lowering my car would have no negative advantages that im not already suffering through
I have the same issue which is why I have had my Tokico D-Spec shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit sitting here un-installed for about 2 months. But I think my Z's problem is that the stock suspension is starting to sag because I can't fit my hydraulic jack under the car any more.

Bomber:
Get (at least) the rear camber kit and you will be much happier with the drop.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regret getting rid of wheel gaps? Hell no!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Toby-22

The title of this thread should be ''anyone regret being cheap'' lol
Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
bomber

Originally Posted by JPE22
The title of this thread should be ''anyone regret being cheap'' lol
Whatever lol. Interesting sentiment coming from a guy who can't even pony up $30 to support the site.

Last edited by bomber; 08-30-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by bomber
Do you recommend a front camber kit also? I'm thinking if yes, then I may install the stock springs, sell the Eibachs and write the whole thing off to lessoned learned.
Bomber
If you are lowered and you don't have a camber kit to get back into spec the inner wall of your tire will most likely wear out much faster than the rest of the tire. Not only that but you will also most likely get that annoying tire roaring sound.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
jaaf

hellll nooooo! no regrets here

the look is so worth it

Quick Reply: Anyone regret lowering their Z?